Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,401 Members 38,530 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] Skyrocket Charger Test [Now in Google Play]

Tip us?

Jrockttu
Old
(Last edited by Jrockttu; 1st March 2014 at 11:00 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 476

DONATE TO ME
Battery Full [APP] Skyrocket Charger Test [Now in Google Play]

UPDATE (3/1/2014): Better late than never, the app is now available in the Google Play Store.

DOWNLOAD HERE

This version *should* work for both ICS and JB. I still don't have a Skyrocket, so can someone please download and test and let me know if it works? If it does not, I'll fix ASAP. I'm just publishing the same basic app to the Play Store to make it a little easier for you folks to install it after a flash.

If the Play Store version doesn't work for ICS and/or JB, v0.1 in this thread is for ICS, v0.3 is for JB

I created an app in Tasker's App Factory to test your Skyrocket's charger.

The goal of this app is to help you determine if your charger is providing a fast charge and to see if your charger will cause the dreaded wakelock. You should be able to plug in your charger and launch the app to see your charger type and current reported in the notification bar.

This app was created to accompany my thread on Skyrocket battery life here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1759541

The apk is attached. Just install it and launch the app when you have a charger connected.

For Reference:

The app runs a cat of these files: /sys/class/power_supply/battery/charging_source & /sys/class/power_supply/battery/batt_current_adc

***Version 0.3 for Jelly Bean ROMs cats batt_charging_source instead of charging_source***

It uses charging_source and the values below to determine the charge type
0= No charger connected.

1= USB Normal Charge. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4 and data current is detected on 2&3

2= AC Fast Charge. AC Fast Charge. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4, and pins 2&3 are BRIDGED.

6= AC Regular Charge. This is the charge state that creates the wakelock. There is 5VDC on pins 1&4, and pins 2&3 are OPEN/DISCONNECTED.
The app uses the batt_current_adc value to determine the charge current. Anything below 500 means your charger provides a normal charge. Anything above that will likely be around 900 and that is considered a fast charge.

The Tasker project XML is attached in the second ZIP if anybody wants to see what the app is doing.

Version 0.1
First attempt

V 0.3
Should work with Jelly Bean
Updated minimum OS to 4.1
Changed cat of "charging_source" to "batt_charging_source"
Having problems with your Skyrocket battery? Read this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1759541
The Following 67 Users Say Thank You to Jrockttu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

burgeswe
Old
(Last edited by burgeswe; 28th July 2012 at 05:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 30
Installed this and tested it on 3 chargers, official, cheap brand, and car. Seems to work great!

So far all I notice is that it just doesn't launch if the device isn't plugged in (understandably), and the notification icon persists through closing the app (very minor)

I'm going to try it with another skyrocket and some knockoff batteries and will let you know!

Very nice app!

Edit: I'm running CM9 RC2/Nightly, just to give as much info as I can

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to burgeswe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jrockttu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 476

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgeswe View Post
Installed this and tested it on 3 chargers, official, cheap brand, and car. Seems to work great!

So far all I notice is that it just doesn't launch if the device isn't plugged in (understandably), and the notification icon persists through closing the app (very minor)

I'm going to try it with another skyrocket and some knockoff batteries and will let you know!

Very nice app!

Edit: I'm running CM9 RC2/Nightly, just to give as much info as I can

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to get it to report "No charger connected" when one isn't connected, but couldn't get it working. I'll try adding that again on my next version.
Having problems with your Skyrocket battery? Read this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1759541
The Following User Says Thank You to Jrockttu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tsaxmafia
Old
Thanks Meter 6
This Is Awesome! It allowed me to figure out which charges in my house were actually doing the trick. Thanks

yaiiyaii
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Hey everything works as you said. Good work.

Sent from my SGH-I727 using xda premium

Weazmeister
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Excellent, thanks for this. Is there anyway to integrate the wakelock charging check into this as well?
Samsung Galaxy S5 900P - sleshepic's Mystery ROM and Kernel, rocking WiFi Calling, DL Boost, and more
Samsung Galaxy S4 i337 - SafeStrap 3.72 - Samy Deluxe KitKat Retired
Samsung SG2 Skyrocket - Vincom's SUPERLITE AOKP JB 4.3 V1.0 Retired

Jrockttu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 476

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazmeister View Post
Excellent, thanks for this. Is there anyway to integrate the wakelock charging check into this as well?
The app should tell you that your charger will cause a wakelock if it's one that will. Is it not doing that for you?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jrockttu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

holeindalip
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Mine just says fast charge a/c 903ma in notification area.I'm on cm10

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

lnfound
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by holeindalip View Post
Mine just says fast charge a/c 903ma in notification area.I'm on cm10

I'm on AOKP and I also just get #ma. Perhaps I'm referencing back to the post incorrectly but I don't follow how to interpret this to wake lock issue.

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Jrockttu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 476

DONATE TO ME
If your charger is recognized as type 6, it will give you a notification like in the attached image. Type 6 causes a wakelock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1343972478068.jpg
Views:	3474
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1238741

The Following User Says Thank You to Jrockttu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
battery, charger, charging, skyrocket