5,596,128 Members 34,160 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REF][GUIDE] The Noob Helper - basic info about your sgs3 and flashing

Tip us?

xxScoobxx
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Very good guide and helpful info for someone new to this. Good job bro!

EricCJacobson
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Odexed means that system files and apps are split into two pieces and kept in different places on the phone. This is done to speed things up a bit.
Should I be concerned about slowing down my stock odexed JB ROM, if I flash a de-odexed version of it? The above statement took me by surprise because I thought one of the main advantages of flashing a new ROM was to speed it up. I saw that quote in the "odexed vs de-odexed" definition in the OP.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

One more question.

Make sure that you use the version of the mod that is for your software version number (UCLEM or UCLG1 see beginning of rooting guide to figure out which one you are on).

Mine says UCDLK3. Am I in the wrong thread or something?

Rastabolino
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 443
Default Re: [REF][GUIDE] The Noob Helper - basic info about your sgs3 and flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCJacobson View Post
Should I be concerned about slowing down my stock odexed JB ROM, if I flash a de-odexed version of it? The above statement took me by surprise because I thought one of the main advantages of flashing a new ROM was to speed it up. I saw that quote in the "odexed vs de-odexed" definition in the OP.

It's not a very noticeable difference, I wouldn't worry about it. Just be aware of it for theming purposes.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

One more question.

Make sure that you use the version of the mod that is for your software version number (UCLEM or UCLG1 see beginning of rooting guide to figure out which one you are on).

Mine says UCDLK3. Am I in the wrong thread or something?
You are in the right thread, just need to update the op

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

DWiggs
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Didn't NANDROID before flashing

Thanks for the great post!

I do have a few n00b questions:

1. I rooted my gs3 and flashed another rom before doing a backup. Am I screwed if something goes wrong? Would going back to stock and doing a backup help (if there is something to worry about)?

2. Are there more advantages to using TiB or Carbon to backup apps (& app data) compared to re-installing apps from the Play store?

3. Why do some roms have gapps? Couldn't I just download them from the Play store?

Thanks

Manufactured consent
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Default Re: [REF][GUIDE] The Noob Helper - basic info about your sgs3 and flashing

I just wanted to give you a shout out for this, noobs like me really appreciate someone taking some time to spend explaining and helping us. You guys (and gals) do so much work and all for free! So thanks for it!
:good karma :

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

Rastabolino
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 443

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWiggs View Post
Thanks for the great post!

I do have a few n00b questions:

1. I rooted my gs3 and flashed another rom before doing a backup. Am I screwed if something goes wrong? Would going back to stock and doing a backup help (if there is something to worry about)?

You are not screwed. you can always go back through Odin. I would suggest making a backup before flashing your next rom though just in case.

2. Are there more advantages to using TiB or Carbon to backup apps (& app data) compared to re-installing apps from the Play store?

The advantage is it's faster to restore multiple apps at once, also titanium backup saves app data so things like game progress, login info, etc are restored too.

3. Why do some roms have gapps? Couldn't I just download them from the Play store?

Some roms like CM are not allowed to include gapps so you have to flash them separately. The play store is a gapp so you won't be able to use it to download if it's not there.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rastabolino For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DWiggs
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you! I had thought as much with the gapps.

Just to continue the learning on my part: I don't think I'm backing up or wiping correctly. It seems that I'm getting nested files in /data (some of them start with 0) The same file structure is nested a few times. Does this mean I did a dirty flash or is this normal? (I did clean it up and copy back onto SD from computer, probably the stupidest way to do it...)

As for a backup, from what I've read it seems that CWM does (or can do) the ROM backup while TB handles the apps right? TB can also do the ROM?

I'm guessing that wiping (when flashing a new ROM) doesn't erase any backups stored on the SD (or can that accidentally be erased too?)

I think that once I fully understand the backing up process, I'll be much better off. (I've been reinstalling apps myself after flashing through the play store...eh, I know its stupid)

Monkeymannnn
Old
Thanks Meter 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWiggs View Post
Thank you! I had thought as much with the gapps.

Just to continue the learning on my part: I don't think I'm backing up or wiping correctly. It seems that I'm getting nested files in /data (some of them start with 0) The same file structure is nested a few times. Does this mean I did a dirty flash or is this normal? (I did clean it up and copy back onto SD from computer, probably the stupidest way to do it...)

As for a backup, from what I've read it seems that CWM does (or can do) the ROM backup while TB handles the apps right? TB can also do the ROM?

I'm guessing that wiping (when flashing a new ROM) doesn't erase any backups stored on the SD (or can that accidentally be erased too?)

I think that once I fully understand the backing up process, I'll be much better off. (I've been reinstalling apps myself after flashing through the play store...eh, I know its stupid)
The "nesting" is in fact normal. Apparently just the way 4.2.1 does things.

CWM does indeed backup the ROM. Make sure it's the latest version though. The earlier ones had problems restoring files over 2GB. TB does backup apps, but many recommend you do not use it (it can break some things for whatever reason). The carbon app in the play store is supposedly a good alternative. I don't think TB can backup a ROM, but it can backup things like apn settings and some other things. Read tb's faq if they have one. I just let things reinstall from the play store as well. Time consuming, but altogether better (you'll never have leftover data messing with a fresh install and will be up to date every time).

Wipe data/factory reset doesn't wipe anything from your sd card besides apps, personal information and some settings (if not all of them, not really clear on that anymore).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to Monkeymannnn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bomba_king
Old
Thanks Meter 0
thanks for the great post

Z3R0H0UR
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks

Thank you for this informative guide.