Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,583 Members 39,629 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REF][GUIDE] The Noob Helper - basic info about your sgs3 and flashing

Tip us?

meaintsmart
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I sure hope I had this guide when I flashed for the first time a few days ago, but at the time you only had part 1 done and the guide had not been completed yet. Glad to see it finished and it'll definitely help out others.

jroyjohnson
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default mods

Thanks for all the invaluable info on flashing ROMs. I've been a BB user for years so Android is still new to me. I'm looking into rooting and trying out some custom roms, but I had a question. When it comes to Mods can you just add those individually?
I want to use Team Sonic's FreeGS3 Rom mainly due to it's Sony Bravia engine Mod and the Awesome Beats Mod (or at least when they get it working on apps other than Google Music). However, they don't have a fully supported Rom for AT&T just yet.

Trying to have the best of both worlds....I may just need to try out something else and wait for the full ATT version.

omi__
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This is a great thread you've created OP. However, I'm a tad confused. You mention in the guide that Kies interferes with Odin and you say to close and close it out of the backround, but you also mention "better yet, uninstall it completely." One of the reasons I'm rooting my new phone is to be able to delete this bloatware. Are you implying this is possible without first rooting the phone?
Thanks a lot in advance, this is very helpful.

Rastabolino
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyjohnson View Post
Thanks for all the invaluable info on flashing ROMs. I've been a BB user for years so Android is still new to me. I'm looking into rooting and trying out some custom roms, but I had a question. When it comes to Mods can you just add those individually?
I want to use Team Sonic's FreeGS3 Rom mainly due to it's Sony Bravia engine Mod and the Awesome Beats Mod (or at least when they get it working on apps other than Google Music). However, they don't have a fully supported Rom for AT&T just yet.

Trying to have the best of both worlds....I may just need to try out something else and wait for the full ATT version.
I would wait to flash any ROM that isn't specifically for your device. However you may be able to flash the mods you want like the bravia mod on top of an att ROM. You need to find the original post for the mods you want, and do some research to see what they require and if anyone has used them successfully. Be extra careful of mods written for the international version of the phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Rastabolino For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rastabolino
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by omi__ View Post
This is a great thread you've created OP. However, I'm a tad confused. You mention in the guide that Kies interferes with Odin and you say to close and close it out of the backround, but you also mention "better yet, uninstall it completely." One of the reasons I'm rooting my new phone is to be able to delete this bloatware. Are you implying this is possible without first rooting the phone?
Thanks a lot in advance, this is very helpful.
I can see why you are confused. I am referring to kies on your windows PC. (If you installed it at some point) Not the version that runs on the phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rastabolino For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ComradeNF
Old
Thanks Meter 85
OP, are you sure you can install CWM through ROM Manager after rooting? I remember trying to do this on my SGS2 last year and my phone soft bricked. Tried it twice, and still soft bricked.

Why not just use Robinson's method?

Rastabolino
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF View Post
OP, are you sure you can install CWM through ROM Manager after rooting? I remember trying to do this on my SGS2 last year and my phone soft bricked. Tried it twice, and still soft bricked.

Why not just use Robinson's method?
I tested it out myself and it works fine. I figured this was the easiest way to get it done and not have to get adb up and running. Also, the official cwm is supported by all the new roms like cm10 and some other recoveries have had issues flashing those roms.

sayce
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for putting this together! Very Helpful!

Cholerabob
Old
Thanks Meter 12
One question, you say flash CWM , first in list choose Galaxy S3 ATT, when i open Rom Manager and choose Flash i don't have the S3 for a choice ?I have Galaxy Note, Skyrocket and T-Mobile Galaxy S2, no S3....

Rastabolino
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholerabob View Post
One question, you say flash CWM , first in list choose Galaxy S3 ATT, when i open Rom Manager and choose Flash i don't have the S3 for a choice ?I have Galaxy Note, Skyrocket and T-Mobile Galaxy S2, no S3....
Try scrolling down the list