After flashing Jelly Bean to my device I quickly discovered the problem which many non-US members have been talking about, it was impossible to use Google Now to it's full potential without changing the system language to English (US). I thought that there had to be some simple solution to this problem, so I searched around here on xda for any mod that fixed this, but there wasn't any success. So, after some simple smali editing I now present to you
Google Now with independant locale
This mod allows you to continue using Google Now as you're used to, but without having to compromise with your own language of choice - Whether it be Spanish, French, Swedish or any other language that is supported as of Jelly Bean. The only thing that is required is replacing the old Google Now apk with the new one.
- You are responsible for anything that could potentially harm your device by using this app. If you are worried, make a Nandroid.
- I can't guarantee that this will mod will work on your device/configuration. If it doesn't, please provide a logcat so I attempt to fix the problem.
Download link below the screenshot
Screenshot showing Google Now in Swedish
(Requires Jelly Bean or above)
1. Download the file from dl.dropbox.com/u/22829424/Velvet.apk (unclickable because of insufficient post count)
2. Remount /system with read/write permissions
3. Copy the apk to /system/app/Velvet.apk
IMPORTANT - If Velvet.apk does not already exist in /system/app/ it could be having another name. If GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk is there, replace that file instead.
4. Remount /system with read-only permissions again
5. Install the apk as you would the normal way (Users on the Swedish forum I originally posted this on found this to be required)
If you want to perform step 2 - 4 using adb, these are the commands to use
adb remount adb push Velvet.apk /system/app/Velvet.apk adb remount