Since this app is still very much in development you can see it as a donation, but a donation that gives you access to all the future development and features of this app. It will also give you start on boot and unlimited actions.
# What it does #
Basically what it does is it makes it possible to launch androids taskswitcher (recent apps) or call another action such as home, back, menu or turn screen off by waving your finger past the proximity sensor. You can also set an action to run when your proximity sensor is covered. With a little practice this really makes multitasking much faster. There is now also actions for media like volume, play pause and such, aswell as a flashlight (only tested on galaxy note, probably wont work on all devices) The media-actions are not properly implemented yet, so all actions may not work on all devices.
There is now some other features aswell.
Smart keep screen on will keep your screen on as long as you hold the phone in your hand. When you put it down, it will let the screen go off. I have only tested it on a galaxy note. Feedback on this would be welcomed.
You can now also run an action to keep the screen on permanently, or atleast until you run the action again.
Feel free to try it out.
# Instructions #
Configure actions for each number of waves up to six. The action you choose will then be executed when you wave.
You can also configure an action to launch when you cover your proximity sensor and for when the device is shaken.
If you have trouble with the gestures and smartswitcher recognizes the wrong gesture, you can adjust the gesture sensitivity. If you put this on low, the response and gesture recognition will be fast, but you will have to wave fast also. On high, the opposite is true. If you are not Lucky Luke like me, medium or high should work.
# Planned features #
Multiple actions for one event
Actions: toggle wifi, mobile data, bluetooth, launch apps, etc
Device facedown event
"Franticwave", action for when you wave past all six waves and then stop.
# Known issues #
If the gestures stops working, particularly after using the screen off action, the gesturecounter probably consumed some magic mushrooms and forgot to count the waves and got all confused. You can either restart smartswitcher or wave until it starts picking them up again.
# Other #
The powerconsumption of the proximity sensor is extremely low so the impact on your battery should be fairly low. Did anyone using this notice a reduction of battery life, and I mean that in a more scientific way than just checking under battery in your system settings? Was it 5 minutes or 1 hour?
Zenblom made a video of smartswitcher:
He also compiled a list on working devices:
# Confirmed working devices #
- Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000
- Samsung galaxy s3 i9300 international version
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800
- Sony Ericsson xperia neo v
- HTC One X
- Sony Ericsson Arc S
- Galaxy Nexus
- HTC evo 3d
- Samsung Galaxy s2
# Changelog #
Version 1.1.7 2012-08-25
-Added cm10/JB compatible recent apps option.
Smartswitcher behaves really badly in cm10. Since everything worked great in cm9 that I just ran ten minutes ago I am not sure how to handle this. A use at your own risk warning for cm10 maybe?
Version 1.1.6 2012-08-23
- Added non root actions: Toggle airplane mode, launch browser, launch calculator, launch messages, send message, launch camera, launch contacts. Also end call, but it did not work properly so its set invisible for now.
Decided to freeze the features here, or this thing is never going on google play. If you cant find something seriously wrong with this version until tomorrow, its going on play. After that, I will continue developing the app but the updates will come via google play.
The smart keep feature... I may have to scrap that idea. I cant get it to work reliably. It can be made to keep the screen on on very small movements but then it wotn turn the scren off instead. Will fiddle a bit more before I give up. Its now set quite sensitive so it may not turn your screen off properly now, if so you can just press the powerbutton or disable the damn thing
If you have any ideas on how to make this work better, please let me know!
Version 1.1.5 2012-08-21
- Fixed the bug that caused to ui to crash or slow down when you were shaking the device. Should work fine now, so there should now be no need to close the ui when trying actions any more.
- The smartswitcher listening button will now completely (hopefully) unregister sensorlisteners so if you press this button there should be no batterydrainage at all.
- Made the handling of sensors a bit more effective. Now if you have no action on any event that need the accelerometer, it wont register and use battery power. If you set none on accelerometerevents the sensorlistener will unregister and stop using battery. The same goes for the proximity sensor.
I was hoping that the users with a glowing proximitysensor will tell me if I got this to work right
Version 1.1.4 2012-08-20
- Toggle wifi, bluetooth, rotation lock, ringer volume, audio volumeactions added. The do not need root and does things the right way. Audiovolume does not seem to work, will check why.
- Added something I called quick actions menu, but the first time its launched you may wonder why I did not name it slow actions menu After its loaded once it should work faster, it could slow down every once in a while, I will fix this. Note: if you cancel this menu strange things could happen, I forgot to implement oncancel. The plan is that you will be able to make these favouritemenus yourself and add the actions you want, and trigger your new menu on any event. I need a database handler som I have to fix this first. I never intended for this app to do all of this stuff, if I did I would have done things differently from the beginning. I noticed that this menu is counted as a pro action so you can only use it 20 times before it resets, sorry, did not mean for that to happen. For now there is only a few actions hardcoded in there.
Please close Smartswitcher settingsscreen before you start playing with the actions, strange things can happen if you dont. This is betastuff, so you cant expect things to be perfect even though I do my best for them to be as good as possible
Version 1.1.3 2012-08-18
- Added action keep device alive. If you run this, your device will not sleep until next time you run it, period. It wont activate if the device is already being kept awake by the smart keep screen on function, have not tested this very carefully. If you feel a burst of short vibrations, the device is being kept awake. If you use this, dont forget to turn it off, or it will drain your battery.
- Adjusted the shakedetection. It should now work much better and should notmake doubleactions. Try it and tell me if it is better or worse.
- Adjusted the smart keep screen on function to a little less sensitive. Sometimes it did not turn the screen of because i set the sensitivity too high so it detected movement event when it was fairly still. Try it and tell me if I made it better or worse.
- Added support for up to six waves by request. Tested it some, it seemed to work fine.
Version 1.1.2 2012-08-17
- Added action flashlight. Will probably not work on all devices, but it works on my note atleast. Will add more variants for other devices.
- Added EXPERIMENTAL Smart keep screen on function. There is no adjustable settings yet, just on and off. You can try it by setting your screen timeout at a low value like 15 seconds. As long as you hold your phone in your hand, the screen should keep on. If you put it down the screen should go off in 30 seconds or so. I adjusted it to work on my device, but that does not mean it will work good on yours. There is no settings for it yet. Try it, if you dont like it, disable it. Will also spend some time on next version with the shake detection, Its teally not what I wanted it to be. It works, but barely.
Version 1.1.1 2012-08-16
- Added shakedetection. You can now set an action for shake. Note: Will cause the ui to crash, press backbutton to close smartswitcher settings before using it and it should work fine.
Version 1.1.0 2012-08-15
- No visible changes, but lots of changes in the code. I hate spagetticode, so I spent some time removing and rewriting things. Sensorcovered will now really have zero delay if you set that.
- Made the number of proactions allowed to 20, as I said I had done. It seems it was only 10
Version 1.0.9 2012-08-13
- Fixed sensor covered, now it wont trigger any action if you remove your finger within the delay time.
- Added a BUNCH of actions. Some will work on your device, some will not. (Depending on rom, installed apps etc) The new features are for the pro version (Yes I will make a pro version.) I am a nice guy so everything you had before still works, plus you can use the profeatures for a total of 20 times, after that they will reset to no action. You are free to select pro features again for another 20 times. Sorry about this, but I have spent quite a few hours on this app now, and I would not mind getting a few bucks for my work. Please tell me what price you find fair for this app, if any price at all
- Made it so that gestures will work on active phonecall. This means actions like for instance hangup will actually hangup the call. Sensor covered should not interfere with anything now.
Version 1.0.8 2012-08-11
Note: Remaining bug, sensor covered works but the delaysetting does not do what it is supposed to do. That is, even if you remove your finger from the sensor within the delay time, the action will still trigger. Sorry about that, will fix. Too tired now
- Fixed the bug that caused settings to not save after a while. Should work fine now.
- Added configurable settings for sensor covered so you can now set any action for that event. If you have a device with slow sensor you should now be able to launch recent apps by setting sensor covered delay to 0 and action to recent apps. You can now also set screen off as action on any wave.
- Fixed vibration feedback for sensor covered event.
- Removed Screen off setting as it is no longer needed.
- fixed some other bits and pieces and cleaned up the code.
Version 1.0.7 2012-08-09
- Completely rewrote all of the code for taking care of actions. If I am lucky this will take care of the strange superuser permissions error. Unfortunately this way will mean an ever so slightly slower response, but if it turns out this way works better, I will see if I can speed it up some.
- Lots of bugfixes. Wavesettings and gestures off in landscape SHOULD work properly now. So SHOULD the screen off feature.
- Added button to stop Smartswitcher from doing anything at all. Now, please tell me what I have broken this time
Version 1.0.6 2012-08-08
- Added settings for all gestures. You can now disable/enable/configure individual gestures. I did test this, but not very carefully. I should stop doing this so late at night. Please tell me if you find problems.
Version 1.0.5 2012-08-07
- Added option to disable gestures when phone is in landscapemode. Now you dont have to kill smartswitcher if you find it unusable in landscape and then start it again when back in portrait. Let me know if it does not work as intended.
- Changed the vibrationfeedback on recognized gesture to a more gentle level.
- Find my sensor-mode is gone. Kind of useless feature anyway, good riddance to bad feature.
Version 1.0.4 2012-08-06
- Wave once for recent apps, twice for menu, three times for back, four for home. No customizable settings for this yet, I need to sleep now Oh, I broke find my sensor-mode.
Version 1.0.2 2012-08-05
- Configurable delay for the screenoff when sensor covered-feature added
Version 1.0.1: 2012-08-04
- Disableoption for screenoff "bug"
- Changed Get the feel-mode to Find my sensor-mode, hopefully this is not as confusing
More coming. If you have any ideas or suggestions, let me know.
I made a little app that I am not sure if anyone but me will like. Basically what it does is it makes it possible to launch androids taskswitcher (recent apps) by waving your finger past the proximity sensor. With a little practice this really makes multitasking much faster. Atleast, thats what it did for me. I was hoping for some testers here on xda. I have only tested this on a galaxy note running paranoid, it seems to work fine on that rom on the note, but i would like to see some more testers.
Feel free to try it out. If anyone likes it i will put it on google play. By the way, you need root for it to work. I attached a full version except for autostart on boot that will not work in this version.
Well it vibrates but does not launched recent apps.
I like the ide Of it
Is this battery friendly? I love the idea and if it doesn't drain my battery quicker than usual I'll be using it instead of the long click of home button.
Please add an option to hide the notification icon. I don't think there is a need for it as this is a set it once and forget about it app. You don't go changing the settings every day.
Thank you and good luck with this awesome project!
EDIT: btw, I'm running stock rooted 4.0.4 and this works great!
I was expecting someone to tell me to remove the notification icon I know, It was really useful get to the settings quickly when I was developing it. I will see what I can do to remove it. As for the battery, I have not really noticed any change in drainage at all, but please tell me if you experience any bad impact on battery life.
Google has now changed its policies regarding paid app developers. … more
18 Sep 2014
By Tomek Kondrat
XDA Developers was founded by developers, for developers. It is now a valuable resource for people who want to make the most of their mobile devices, from customizing the look and feel to adding new functionality. Are you a developer?