[GUIDE] How to install § backup § revert CM/AOKP rom [β]

Search This thread

ahalford

Sep 24, 2011
עץ החיים
I think, you should not blame devs or any other for the lack of tutorial. There is a lot of info on XDA, and, using keywords, you can find literally everything. Beside it, Cyanogen mod is a rom, that meant by default a knowledge - how to flash. That's the situation - if you're receiving a free food, find yourself a spoon and fork. This thread - is just a collective XDA wisdom.

Doomstick

Aug 29, 2011
Ahalford I have a question for you. I have been having trouble creating nandroid back ups with cm9 and cm10 for a while now, this includes asylum cm10.
Any kernel past 7-15 nightly has a recovery that seems to be broken for me. Anytime I tried to create a backup 1 of several things will happen. The phone will reboot in the middle of the process, the phone will act like the backup went okay but the backup will be incomplete with a file size of 16 megabytes, or will have the error " can't backup /data". Sometimes it will hang on freeing up space.
Every kernel I have tried since 7-15 has these problems with my phone. Any suggestions for me? Thank you very much for your help.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

ahalford

Sep 24, 2011
עץ החיים
There might be a problem with CM10 kernel (though I don't think so), but all CM9 kernels, dated since 31.07 and forward, have no such problem.
Errors, that you're describing, ocurred on the same kernel, on which backup was created?
Install CM9 08.08 nightly, try to backup, reboot, and then restore - does it works?
Are you backuping to internal or external sd? Try to backup your data to PC, format external sd, then try to create backup again.

Doomstick

Aug 29, 2011
these errors occurred on separate kernels.when you ask which backup was created I am unsure of this question.whenever I do create my backups I put them on the internal and on the sd cardto see if there is a difference.so far there has been no difference the backup fails either way.I followed your tutorial and under mounts and storage formatted /data /emmc /system /cache. I am currently on asylum cm10 v2 and the backups are still having errors on both internal and external drives. I have to go to bed now but later in the dayI will format my sd card and try to backup, if that does not work I will try going back to cm9 you suggested and seeing if the back up will work on that. Thank you

Reactions: ahalford

ahalford

Sep 24, 2011
עץ החיים
Size doesn't says nothing, as a new feature of latest CWM is, when it sees previous backups, it backs up only changes, comparing to previously saved backup. So, I suggest you also to clean your backup folder, to start from scratch.

Ok, I tried and seems like CM10 nandroid doesn't work for me also. I check with others, and it's really not working. So, meanwhile, no backup on CM10 kernel.

Last edited:

Utacka

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 19, 2012
Stockholm
www.utacka.se
Size doesn't says nothing, as a new feature of latest CWM is, when it sees previous backups, it backs up only changes, comparing to previously saved backup. So, I suggest you also to clean your backup folder, to start from scratch.

Ok, I tried and seems like CM10 nandroid doesn't work for me also. I check with others, and it's really not working. So, meanwhile, no backup on CM10 kernel.

I just did a nandroid backup on cm10 kernel, no issue.

Skickat från min GT-N7000 via Tapatalk 2

domonos

Feb 16, 2012
Extra steps to CM -> TW?

Hey, I'd like to try out CM roms but with an option to go back to TW. Is doing an nandroid backup on TW rom (NoteCore kernel) an option?
Should I take any extra precautions when jumping CM9/ CM10 and back?

chasmodo

Dec 28, 2011
Novi Sad
Hey, I'd like to try out CM roms but with an option to go back to TW. Is doing an nandroid backup on TW rom (NoteCore kernel) an option?
Should I take any extra precautions when jumping CM9/ CM10 and back?

Just do a normal nandroid backup and you're good to go. Also, no special precautions are needed when wiping/flashing either from NoteCore/Hydra or CM9/10 kernels. All of them are safe.

sdvsf

Aug 6, 2012
Medellin
Thanks a lot for this guide, really helped me with some doubts. I installed Asylum CM10 and i gotta say it its pretty awesome! Thanks again!

ahalford

Sep 24, 2011
עץ החיים
Your custom or system ringtone plays only once? Here is how to loop it (thanks to bfikkert for the idea):

1.Get Audacity app (audacity.sourceforge.net, freeware)
2.Open your file
3.Go to File - Metadata editor
4.Add new tag "ANDROID_LOOP" and set "true" value
5.File - export - save as "Ogg Vorbis"
6. Put your ringtone into /system/media/audio/desired folder (ringtones, alarms, etc.)

android_loop.jpg

Reactions: p107r0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    animated-gifs-skulls-55.gif
    BACKUP / INSTALL / REVERT

The following guide is not a "only solution", but just effort to make it short and clear. I take no credit for procedures, as it is just a collective XDA wisdom, taken into on thread.
    Due to many questions, asked in CM development threads, questions, not being related to the discussions, and, mainly, how to flash/migrate/roll back, I decided to write this guide.

This thread will be maintained, instructions will be added/removed/fixed per need.
    Don't hesitate to correct me, if you feel like this.

My thanks goes to

Entropy 512, XpLoDwIlD, Chasmodo, Dr. Ketan, Abhisahara, ToxicThunder, Sunny2303, Antiochasylum, Mfractal, Matius44, Gavin Lewarne, zX TheRipper Xz, Utacka, Asylum Inmates, YouHTC.ru forum

≤ Special thanks & appreciation goes to ToxicThunder for making this thread looking good, and, most important – readable :)

and all others I forgot.​

HELPFUL MATERIALS:

DON'T FLASH FROM ICS STOCK BASED ROMS WITH STOCK KERNEL, UNLESS IT HAS EMMC BRICK BUG DISABLED!
    Read about it here - [GUIDE] Which Kernels are Safe/Unsafe to Wipe and Flash from

PLEASE, STICK TO THE FOLLOWING GUIDE TO FLASH YOUR CM / AOKP ROM SAFELY:

:good: **Browse XDA to learn about PC Odin. For your assistance, and to get an basic info about it -

You are on GB 2.3.6 Stock NON-Rooted ROM

OR

You are on GB 2.3.6 Stock Rooted ROM WITHOUT CWM recovery

OR

You are on Stock 4.0.3 / 4.0.4 rooted / non-rooted Rom /Samsung based custom rom

Download your rom of choice

http://get.cm/?device=n7000 for CM9 rom

and download Gapps - http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

Browse this for CM10 -

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1796217 for Rom and Gapps

Put your Rom and Gapps on sdcard (whether internal or external)​

:good: Flash, using PC Odin, this CM9_safe_kernel.tar -

http://www.mediafire.com/?uhiges9y3zhs8oi

from this thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1789397

for painless migration to CM9 / CM10.

**Brief instruction for PC ODin:

• Download Samsung Mobile USB drivers or install Kies (should be turned off, while flashing)

• Open PC Odin, go to PDA field, insert CM9_safe_kernel.tar

• Ensure you have checked only Auto Reboot, F.Reset Time and PDA check boxes, while PDA line contains CM9_safe_kernel.tar file path.

• Boot to download mode (home + power + volume down), confirm the download mode.

• Connect to your USB cable (no hubs, no extensions).

• Check ID:COM filed for COM port to appear and "Connected" in the "Message" area.

• Hit "Start", wait for "Success" message in "Message" area and phone reboots.​

**Complete "How to use CWM guide" with screenshots**

:good:. If you have rooted rom with CWM recovery, flash any CM kernel from this thread -

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1789397 ,

without exiting recovery choose Advanced - Reboot recovery, and then proceed to next step.

Whatever you get (Boot logo, animation) - just turn off the phone, and boot into recovery - (power+volume up+home button)

:good: Install ZIP from sdcard -Choose ZIP from (or internal SD) sdcard (pick your rom .zip file),
    choose Yes.

◘ Install ZIP from sdcard -

◘ Choose ZIP from sdcard (or internal SD) (pick your Gapps .zip file),
    choose Yes.

◘ Go Back, Wipe data/factory reset, choose Yes, then Reboot system now.
    You're done.​

:good: Upgrading from version to version:

◘ Boot to recovery,

◘ Install ZIP from sdcard -

Choose ZIP from sdcard (pick your rom .zip file),
    choose Yes.

◘ Go Back, wipe cache partition, advanced - wipe dalvick cache.

◘ No need to flash Gapps on version upgrade.​

**In case you have non-working Play Store, or any other Google app, go to recovery and re-flash Gapps, followed by cache/dalvick wipe.
    If it's still not working, clear the data on relevant app and try again. In some cases, clearing data of "Google services framework" also helps.

:good: Backing up /restoring your rom:

◘ Boot to recovery,

◘ Backup and restore - just choose what your need, backup or restore.

**It is suggested to be on same kernel in order to perform correct restore! Don't mix between CM9 and CM10 kernels, while backuping / restoring.

◘ When restoring CM9 backup after CM10 rom, or back to CM10 after CM9 -

flash through CWM (like .zip file) kernel, that you've been running on before (or similar, with very same CWM recovery version).

You need to make sure to check all those things before.

◘ CWM flashable kernels for CM can be found here -
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1789397 .

So, flash the kernel, restore your backup, wipe cache & dalvick.​

:good: BACK TO YOUR PREVIOUS ROM:

◘ Flash your rom of of choice whether through CWM recovery or PC Odin,
    or restore backup, previously done on old rom - it's safe.​

Having a battery drain? Get assistance here.
    FAQ Section

Frequently Asked 'FAQ'
    faq.png

34px-Faq.png
    Where is S-Note/S-Memo?
    Can I install it on CM/AOKP roms?

A: NO.
    Look for alternatives - Memo, Jotter, Papyrus, etc.

34px-Faq.png
    I'm confused - I still can't understand, whether I'm running safe kernel or not?

A: Head to this thread - http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1789397.
    All of the kernels, stated under "CM 10 (JB) Kernels", "CM 9 (ICS) Kernels", "TouchWiz based ICS kernels" are safe. So if you're on the one of those kernels, and have working CWM recovery - you are ready to go.​

34px-Faq.png
    I'm on pure CM9 or CM10, or another CM based, and want to try another kernel. Can I do this?

A: Yes. If you're on CM9 or CM10 based roms, you can use any of kernels from this thread -

http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1789397,

stated under "CM 10 (JB) Kernels" or "CM 9 (ICS) Kernels" accordingly -

CM9 to CM9 based (Asylum ICS, Anidroid, Paranoid ICS, Ganbaru, etc.), and CM10 to CM10 based (½ ILLUSIΘN JB, Asylum JB, Paranoid JB, etc.)​

34px-Faq.png
    What is Gapps and why do I need to flash it together with CM rom?

A:From Cyanogen Wiki:

Google Apps contain the proprietary Google applications that come pre-installed with most android devices.
    Due to licensing restrictions, these apps cannot come pre-installed with CyanogenMod and must be installed separately.

CyanogenMod does not require Google Apps to function properly, however, to take full advantage of the Android system, Google Apps are recommended.
    These apps include Gmail, Maps, and the Android Market, just to name a few. [

To add: It contains not only know Google apps, but also necessary Google services, that can't be downloaded from the Play store, but must be installed, in order to use Gapps./B]

34px-Faq.png
    Can we go from CM9 to CM10 without going back to GB ?

A:Yes. Let's say, you're on latest CM9 nightly.

Backup your rom in recovery, as described in OP, flash CM10 rom and JB Gapps, perform wipe data/factory reset, and you're fine.

To go back, you should flash the latest CM9 kernel from this thread -
    http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1789397,

advanced - reboot recovery, restore your backup, wipe cache and dalvick.

34px-Faq.png
    Can we go to CM10 without installing GB rom or kernel? Especially, if I'm on stock ICS?

A: Yes, if you are on safe kernel, again -
    http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1789397.

All of the kernels, stated under "CM 10 (JB) Kernels", "CM 9 (ICS) Kernels", "TouchWiz based ICS kernels" are safe.

Don't forget the full wipe, while moving from branch to branch.

34px-Faq.png
    After flashing CM9_safe_kernel my phone won't go past "Samsung Galaxy Note" boot screen. Is my phone bricked?

A: No, stay calm.

It is just your previous system, that can't boot with CM9 kernel.

Turn off the phone, and turn it it into the recovery (power+home+volume up), and continue per OP.​

34px-Faq.png
    I booted into the recovery and can't see my CM build and Gapps.

A: Inside the menu "Install zip from sdcard" go to "Choose zip from internal sd".
    In any way, there is suggested to to put your files to external sd (you can do it anytime through card reader, etc.)​

34px-Faq.png
    I'm starting to install my zips, and installation is being aborted (I see dead Android with yellow triangle).

A: Your files are corrupted. Re-download it, and compare to MD5 sum, stated at the download site.
    If issue occurs again, re-format your sdcard in FAT32, and try again.​

34px-Faq.png
    Will all my Apps and Data stay on my phone when upgrading from nightly version to nightly version? Or will everything be deleted?

A:All of your apps and data will remain, "wipe cache/dalvick" commands are not touching /data and /system partitions.

34px-Faq.png
    Since I rooted and installed Cyanogen Mod I get a yellow triangle when booting the phone; everything has always worked perfectly though.
    Is this a problem? And how do I get rid of it?

А:It's a custom binary counter being activated - your warranty is void with this tg.
    Search for "Triangle-away" at the forum - it will reset the counter back to "0" and will remove the triangle..

No problems for functionality at all.​

34px-Faq.png
    I have: Battery drain, instability, sudden reboots/ shutdowns, any other strange issues...

A: Rule number one: Super clean install. Boot to CWM recovery (while on safe kernel), go to "Mounts & storage", and choose "Format /cache, /data, /system". If you have any apps data on /emmc (inte
    =rnal storage), back it up, and also format /emmc.
    Then install the CM rom and proper Gapps.

Q:
    34px-Faq.png

a) My Wi-Fi signal is bad. Should I use another modem?
    b) I have no Wi-Fi, what's going on?

A: a) Wi-Fi and modem - different things. Only mobile network is modem depandable. Dig your networks settings/router. b) There is Wi-Fi. Wipe all, do clean install.​

34px-Faq.png
    I picked a default action for the app (launcher, gallery, whatever), but now I regret and want my choices back.

A:Go to Settings > Apps > All > scroll to default appchosen > open it > scroll down > click "clear defaults > press Home Button > choose whatever you want

34px-Faq.png
    I can't backup / restore on CM10 based rom. Why?

A: a)Because it's not working on early versions

b) When you're backing up, check the recovery version/kernel. Be sure to have the kernel on your sd, and the easiest way for painless restore is to flash the original kernel, reboot recovery, and then restore​

34px-Faq.png
    I installed rom / kernel, and have a bootloop / can't go past boot animation

A: Don't worry. Boot to recovery, wipe cache, wipe dalvick cache, fix permissions.

Still the same problem?

Go to recovery, mounts and storage, format system, data, cache, make your install again.​

34px-Faq.png
    My 1080p video can't be seen after installing new kernel/rom (Hydra, AOKP, whatever...)

A: Codec problem.
    Until it's fixed, get Mobo Player - it plays all the stuff.​

34px-Faq.png
    I lost root after installing Hydra kernel!

A: Get SuperSU app (flashable .zip), install it from CWM, update binaries.

34px-Faq.png
    I flashed X kernel on Y rom and phone can't boot!

A: Since 3rd of October, CM10 has been updated with new Mali drivers. Hense, CM-based roms won't boot with old CM or custom kernels, which are not updated accordingly. For getting explanation about compatibility - post your questions here.

***NEW***
    34px-Faq.png
    My ringtone plays once only, no loop!

A: The solution is here.

Nice one buddy, will send ppl here for sure.

----

Asylumized!
    Your custom or system ringtone plays only once? Here is how to loop it (thanks to bfikkert for the idea):

1.Get Audacity app (audacity.sourceforge.net, freeware)
    2.Open your file
    3.Go to File - Metadata editor
    4.Add new tag "ANDROID_LOOP" and set "true" value
    5.File - export - save as "Ogg Vorbis"
    6. Put your ringtone into /system/media/audio/desired folder (ringtones, alarms, etc.)

android_loop.jpg