The Golden Age of Development(aka my life story)

When do you think was the golden age of development

• Total voters
Search This thread

darkierawr

Feb 2, 2011
I thought I'd keep up the ideal that the general section is a bin for off-topic wonders.

So I want to love on this phone more.

I saw a quote in the GNexus forums from Anon9mouz in his siggy that made me long for the old days.

"I envy the dumb ones."

It made me really sad. I remember back when I first got into rooting. I found a couple review videos for Bubby323's AOSP Magic ROM, Andromeda by noobnl, and KyleCole's BOSS ROM(Reviews by Dash, before ACS). I also remember reading about Cognition ROM over on the Captivate forums. "You see, it boosts benchmark scores from 1100 all the way up to the mid-2500's". That was what got me interested really. I now know that that ROM was using Quadrant hacks, but it was the idea that I could unlock the power of my device. Watching an old Randy Shear video. I was so afraid I was going to break my phone. But when I finally did it felt so great.

I remember I jumped on board during the beginning of the DK28 era. Frankenstein, Quantum, Supernova, Viper, Nebula, Bonsai, and the ever great idea of CM6. I remember flashing all of them and running Quadrant(back when that really meant something to me). After all, CM6's benchmarks are what pushed me to root in the first place. I remember reading that benchmarks didn't mean as much as I thought, and when I saw noobnl load Quadrant into RAM and get an outstanding score, I decided to go with what felt best to me for the first time. I thought Bonsai was the smoothest and I appreciated how small Frankenstein was(though I hated the theme, but it was so cool how he was able to change it). I decided on Viper ROM because when you used the music player, you could pause/play/stop from the notifications tray. I didn't get the concept that they just added an updated application. I thought they were magical. Emotionless Beast was the first theme I ever flashed. And the first thread I started was about MIUI music. I couldn't find it anywhere, so I figure I'd post it. That was where I got my first thanks, and my first senior member scolding. Damn MysteryEmotionz. Talking down on the newbies. Especially that I knew he was just as bad as me at on point. Oh and I remember Zanderman! I remember watching him not root. And I remember the quest to getting him to the point where he was comfortable with it!

Then Mike_77, asdfghjkl, fusingblackrose, raymond, and I started where ahmgsk left off and ported MIUI 1.3.5. I originally was just decompiling for asdfghjkl, but I eventually started smali huning for myself and I got SMS working :D It was such a thrill. All of the builds we made we posted publicly for everyone to play with. Kind of like what happened with MIUI v4 and CM10 now. Free for all.

I remember how amazing it was when Rodderik released Genocide BEFORE official with 1.2GHZ overclock. That was a feat. And a few days later EB13 hit the market. That's when things began to change. I began theming. And became one of the best without using DreamForgottens accursed guide. Tim and I were up for hours going through XML files and smali just to see what we could tweak. I began work on Nebula Theme beta...and it was a disaster. Nebula Theme v1 came out as the first theme to feature Maddoggin's lock mod. And I was super proud.

I joined ACS around then. I remember it being such a big deal, how Tim built up to it and then didn't tell me until an unexpected letter from ACS head came in. I was accepted with ease. And given a nice article. I got an ACS email address and given all of the internal log ins. I even had to sign a non-disclosure at one point. That was back when ACS' name meant something to people. They were the only group that mattered then, and I got all sorts of praise just for being in. Nice then groups like ERA and IAP came into foreground. Too bad ACS was a waste of time. I remember SRF 1.2. And how everyone but me loved it. I was running BakedSnack you see. That was fast. Haha. Know what was something I kind of regret in a childish way? Not being able to flaunt around SRF 1.3. Oh yeah. It existed. And it blew away all others. New Twilight kernel, clean theme, fast fast fast, Chris41g's last gift to this forum. And it didn't even get released. At least I'll always have it. I remember VisionKernel. 1.2 was bricking phones and such. I always kept it for the insane overclocking(at the time). And I got to use 1.3 for a while too. Thomasskull you big dork.

I learned plenty of during the GB leaks. I was able to properly pack FB15(remember FB15? Yeah me neither). I made it a ODIN tar, and I released MY FIRST ROM! Stock+ I called it. It was just clean. And I was happy. I figured when official came around I would upgrade it. And when it did I released Mortify. But at this point I was painfully knowledgeable. Sure CM9 was fun, but it wasn't as cool as CM7 or DK28. That was the golden age of development on this device.

My most recent appreciation for this forum is Kennyglass123. I missed the whole Impaler era of moderating. And frankly, we never had a good moderator in the time that I've been here. When Kenny got promoted I was elated. Finally! A moderator that will watch our forum! Finally! A moderator with less of a life than me! He'll be SO punctual when responding to my PM's! And he has been, and he will. He's amazing. And he should probably start using the server space I set up for him...

Ignorance is bliss. And it's why my Galaxy Nexus won't ever compare to how I feel about the Epic. I literally love it. And I love the community it came with. I know we are spread far and thin, but I want you all to know that you're like a family to me. And I still recognize names, even on other phones. Thank you all, so much. You've made me who I am today.

UBER will always be Biggoron to me :cowboy:

And I remember this one guy. I think his name was flastnoles11. He's wasted SOOOOOOOO many of his thanks on me. I guess I am as hilarious as I whisper to myself at night...HE'S DOING IT AS WE SPEAK

Last edited:

darkierawr

Feb 2, 2011
And I dedicate this post to iSaint.

Oh yeah, I started that ****.

Started on one of my themes. He was really into calling first, so one day I took it and simply put "First. Sorry iSaint"

He replied with "Damn you!!!" or equivalent.

And then EVERYONE for a long while did it as well! And I mean everyone. Even lurkers then were doing it.

Good times.

Last edited:

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
Quite a journey you've had! Man hard to believe this is my first smartphone ever and already know the things I do! And uber will always be biggoron to me too! :p I know I loved this last mortify v2 and your cm9 theme was amazing (forget the name, the red one, haha) I jumped on this phone after the ec05 update and promptly rooted and flashed srf 1.2... good times... gonna hate it when I upgrade, but sometimes a little hate is a good thing :thumbup:

orlzzt

Apr 23, 2011
Daytona Beach, FL
I was thinking about the first time I posted a thread, in the Q&A forum, trying to find the stock rooted EC05 tar. Ugothakd and this "Kennyglass" guy posted replies, like;"dude, did you check Dyehya's 'How to Unbrick your Epic' thread? Its right there!" I felt like such a moron, but Kenny was very encouraging. Come to find out he lives 20 minutes from me, originally from NY; kind of my "kindred spirit". Whenever I asked a question, he was the first to answer. I'm sure he regrets the day he gave me his Gtalk contact info...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: vwags

vwags

Feb 13, 2011
Los Angeles
How odd that just this morning I was thinking about how far things have come and the journey the Epic has had. You mention alot of what I was thinking but I was also remembering the journal/don't journal debates, RFS vs EXT4, battery calibration by discharging your battery then pulling the battery with the charge cord plugged in, CIQ just to name a few more. When was the golden age of development? For me it begins with the Epic since that is the first phone I even new could be improved by you guys.

Thanks for taking the journey and helping us lurkers out.

darkierawr

Feb 2, 2011
How odd that just this morning I was thinking about how far things have come and the journey the Epic has had. You mention alot of what I was thinking but I was also remembering the journal/don't journal debates, RFS vs EXT4, battery calibration by discharging your battery then pulling the battery with the charge cord plugged in, CIQ just to name a few more. When was the golden age of development? For me it begins with the Epic since that is the first phone I even new could be improved by you guys.

Thanks for taking the journey and helping us lurkers out.

Ah yes. I remember all of that! I was all about calibration.

i was a journaling off kind of guy. But until MTD it was EXT4 4 life!

And when k0 found and removed ciq. And then it went kind of unnoticed for a long time. And then trav made such a big deal it set a ball in motion.

Thanks! Maybe i should just make a list of topics that arose with the Epic.

orlzzt

Apr 23, 2011
Daytona Beach, FL
By far the most annoying thing about this device when stock...........

"I'm on EL30...and I keep getting this notification to update to FC09"

But I digress... Darkie is onto something here. I love to remember the old days. I learned to root at my youngest son's 11th birthday party. The laser tag place had free wi-fi, and I brought my laptop and watched all of Randyshears and DJR3Z' videos on rooting...

DRockstar...Noobnl...Bthomas22x...TPhillips...JohnCorleone..everyone helped everyone else. Magical!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

sgtkwol

Sep 2, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Your post got me thinking about how much I'm learning. Even if it is so late in the lifecycle of our phone. It'll be a bittersweet day, when I find my I9300 for a good price and move on from this phone. I'm sure I'll keep my Epic, although it'll be in eternal airplane mode. It'll make a nice crash machine, mini tablet, media center remote, etc.

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!

Started on one of my themes. He was really into calling first, so one day I took it and simply put "First. Sorry iSaint"

And then EVERYONE for a long while did it as well! And I mean everyone. Even lurkers then were doing it.

Good times.

And that carries on to other device forums...except those with their devices stuck up their ass report those posts as trolling! I snuff those as quick as I get them.
Nice trip down memory lane! I finally jumped on the rooting and flashing with DK28 because I needed Flash to work on out Epics for my GFs website to show up. Then the Best Buy tech was walking around with his Epic flaunting his Froyo so sat my ass down and read and read. Flashed SuperNova first, then Midnight the next day, then determined to get the SuperNova bootani on Midnight, then Bonsai where I became part of that team, then the rest is history. Once the bug gets in you it is tough to get it out.
Nice Epic history my friend!
May the Epic live forever as the first of it's kind to boldly go where no phone has gone before with a slide out keyboard!

ÜBER™

Inactive Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
My phone was already on ec05 when I got it from sprint... I was late to the game...

Wow real late. I was on eclair when I got mine. I remember cuz my bro had the EVO and he had flash and I did not. I almost got that phone.... I'm so glad I didn't, he to this day regrets not getting the epic. :cool:

Sent From My Toro+ via RED Tapatalk

squshy 7

Dec 6, 2010
Wow darkie, I remember alllll of that. God ViperRom...and BakedSnack lol. hero_over! Lol. Jesus that was bad...but BakedSnack was my first ROM. But Viper quickly stole my heart...and Rodderick's kernel were just so....good. the best.

I remember when froyo went official OTA, and the freaking mayhem that ensued in that thread trying to teach the noob how to pull it.

And Zanderman! Darkie, the zanderman saga was amazing. And I remember he was waiting for....the lock screen mod? Yeah, I think it was that...I remember referencing it in that thread ("somebody tell zanderman") and the OP didn't know what I was talking about...so sad lol.

I've been here pretty much since the beginning, and although my OG epic is my secondary phone, I still have this forum favorited and pop in every day.

What amazes me darkie, is that you seriously lurked for that long. I heard of you and always thought you were on a different device. That's some serious stealth, considering my time spent on xda rivals the mods. To think that you were here before dk28 (those who don't know dk28 should spend some time in the zombie threads) amazes me.

Oh yeah and...when's tmiller gonna get tv-out working? :p

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

I remember when froyo went official OTA, and the freaking mayhem that ensued in that thread trying to teach the noob how to pull it.

Oh yeah and...when's tmiller gonna get tv-out working? :p

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

I got my Epic like 2 weeks before Froyo went OTA I kept checking every day to see if I got it. After a few days I got ticked off and started searching and came across XDA and haven't left LOL.

I LOL'd on the tv-out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I thought I'd keep up the ideal that the general section is a bin for off-topic wonders.

So I want to love on this phone more.

I saw a quote in the GNexus forums from Anon9mouz in his siggy that made me long for the old days.

"I envy the dumb ones."

It made me really sad. I remember back when I first got into rooting. I found a couple review videos for Bubby323's AOSP Magic ROM, Andromeda by noobnl, and KyleCole's BOSS ROM(Reviews by Dash, before ACS). I also remember reading about Cognition ROM over on the Captivate forums. "You see, it boosts benchmark scores from 1100 all the way up to the mid-2500's". That was what got me interested really. I now know that that ROM was using Quadrant hacks, but it was the idea that I could unlock the power of my device. Watching an old Randy Shear video. I was so afraid I was going to break my phone. But when I finally did it felt so great.

I remember I jumped on board during the beginning of the DK28 era. Frankenstein, Quantum, Supernova, Viper, Nebula, Bonsai, and the ever great idea of CM6. I remember flashing all of them and running Quadrant(back when that really meant something to me). After all, CM6's benchmarks are what pushed me to root in the first place. I remember reading that benchmarks didn't mean as much as I thought, and when I saw noobnl load Quadrant into RAM and get an outstanding score, I decided to go with what felt best to me for the first time. I thought Bonsai was the smoothest and I appreciated how small Frankenstein was(though I hated the theme, but it was so cool how he was able to change it). I decided on Viper ROM because when you used the music player, you could pause/play/stop from the notifications tray. I didn't get the concept that they just added an updated application. I thought they were magical. Emotionless Beast was the first theme I ever flashed. And the first thread I started was about MIUI music. I couldn't find it anywhere, so I figure I'd post it. That was where I got my first thanks, and my first senior member scolding. Damn MysteryEmotionz. Talking down on the newbies. Especially that I knew he was just as bad as me at on point. Oh and I remember Zanderman! I remember watching him not root. And I remember the quest to getting him to the point where he was comfortable with it!

Then Mike_77, asdfghjkl, fusingblackrose, raymond, and I started where ahmgsk left off and ported MIUI 1.3.5. I originally was just decompiling for asdfghjkl, but I eventually started smali huning for myself and I got SMS working :D It was such a thrill. All of the builds we made we posted publicly for everyone to play with. Kind of like what happened with MIUI v4 and CM10 now. Free for all.

I remember how amazing it was when Rodderik released Genocide BEFORE official with 1.2GHZ overclock. That was a feat. And a few days later EB13 hit the market. That's when things began to change. I began theming. And became one of the best without using DreamForgottens accursed guide. Tim and I were up for hours going through XML files and smali just to see what we could tweak. I began work on Nebula Theme beta...and it was a disaster. Nebula Theme v1 came out as the first theme to feature Maddoggin's lock mod. And I was super proud.

I joined ACS around then. I remember it being such a big deal, how Tim built up to it and then didn't tell me until an unexpected letter from ACS head came in. I was accepted with ease. And given a nice article. I got an ACS email address and given all of the internal log ins. I even had to sign a non-disclosure at one point. That was back when ACS' name meant something to people. They were the only group that mattered then, and I got all sorts of praise just for being in. Nice then groups like ERA and IAP came into foreground. Too bad ACS was a waste of time. I remember SRF 1.2. And how everyone but me loved it. I was running BakedSnack you see. That was fast. Haha. Know what was something I kind of regret in a childish way? Not being able to flaunt around SRF 1.3. Oh yeah. It existed. And it blew away all others. New Twilight kernel, clean theme, fast fast fast, Chris41g's last gift to this forum. And it didn't even get released. At least I'll always have it. I remember VisionKernel. 1.2 was bricking phones and such. I always kept it for the insane overclocking(at the time). And I got to use 1.3 for a while too. Thomasskull you big dork.

I learned plenty of during the GB leaks. I was able to properly pack FB15(remember FB15? Yeah me neither). I made it a ODIN tar, and I released MY FIRST ROM! Stock+ I called it. It was just clean. And I was happy. I figured when official came around I would upgrade it. And when it did I released Mortify. But at this point I was painfully knowledgeable. Sure CM9 was fun, but it wasn't as cool as CM7 or DK28. That was the golden age of development on this device.

My most recent appreciation for this forum is Kennyglass123. I missed the whole Impaler era of moderating. And frankly, we never had a good moderator in the time that I've been here. When Kenny got promoted I was elated. Finally! A moderator that will watch our forum! Finally! A moderator with less of a life than me! He'll be SO punctual when responding to my PM's! And he has been, and he will. He's amazing. And he should probably start using the server space I set up for him...

Ignorance is bliss. And it's why my Galaxy Nexus won't ever compare to how I feel about the Epic. I literally love it. And I love the community it came with. I know we are spread far and thin, but I want you all to know that you're like a family to me. And I still recognize names, even on other phones. Thank you all, so much. You've made me who I am today.

UBER will always be Biggoron to me :cowboy:

And I remember this one guy. I think his name was flastnoles11. He's wasted SOOOOOOOO many of his thanks on me. I guess I am as hilarious as I whisper to myself at night...HE'S DOING IT AS WE SPEAK

Good times.

Good times.

And that carries on to other device forums...except those with their devices stuck up their ass report those posts as trolling! I snuff those as quick as I get them.
    Nice trip down memory lane! I finally jumped on the rooting and flashing with DK28 because I needed Flash to work on out Epics for my GFs website to show up. Then the Best Buy tech was walking around with his Epic flaunting his Froyo so sat my ass down and read and read. Flashed SuperNova first, then Midnight the next day, then determined to get the SuperNova bootani on Midnight, then Bonsai where I became part of that team, then the rest is history. Once the bug gets in you it is tough to get it out.
    Nice Epic history my friend!
    May the Epic live forever as the first of it's kind to boldly go where no phone has gone before with a slide out keyboard!
    Oh and I remember Zanderman! I remember watching him not root. And I remember the quest to getting him to the point where he was comfortable with it!

Oh, the good old days. I made k0nane and MysteryEmotionz mad with my constant PM's.

And Zanderman! Darkie, the zanderman saga was amazing. And I remember he was waiting for....the lock screen mod? Yeah, I think it was that...I remember referencing it in that thread ("somebody tell zanderman") and the OP didn't know what I was talking about...so sad lol.

I remember this day like it was earlier today. What most people don't know is that DreamsForgotten sent me a PM about 2 days before maddoggin released the mod, with a preview pic of it. I knew it was coming. But I had built up this great reputation for being Q&A king, and I wasn't even rooted yet.

I didn't need a puzzle lock screen to pursuede me, lol

Hey bro, that hurts. ;) Without me, I doubt we would have ever gotten that mod. Lol

Damn you :p

Love ya bro .. and everyone else from the good ol days :)

For this, I'm going to bring back my old XDA app signature:
    "Posted by a man, standing on a toilet, eating a bacon sammich."

Now to add my own chapter to this Epic story:

I had a Samsung Instinct s30. I was a blossoming nerd, and was starting to hear about the iPhone, so I was trying to figure out how to make my instinct look like an iPhone. In the process, I came upon this app called Snaptu. It was a nifty little app, had FB, Twitter, and various dedicated RSS feeds. This is the start of my Android journey.

The RSS feeds I ended up using were Engaget, Gizmodo, Techcrunch, and Mashable. After reading through, I started hearing about the HTC EVO 4G, and it being the fastest phone on Sprint when it came out. I was going to get one. Then, here comes Samsung, who announced the Epic 4G. I knew, when I read about it, that I had to have it. Then, I almost wasn't able to get it. And I almost had to settle for the Samsung Intercept. But last minute funds were obtained, and I purchased my Epic 4G. I got it in September 2010. Well, at some point between then and October, I started getting curious. My first post on XDA was a question about which was better for battery life, Twitter SMS, or the Official Twitter app w/ push notifications. And I must've seen something cool, because I've been here since.

Eventually, I started learning, reading, being a good noob. And by the time EB13 was out, I could answer many questions dealing with root/roms without ever doing it myself. People kept trying and trying to get me to root, but I refused to do so. But even then, I had a weakness. I wanted the Puzzle Unlock very badly. Well, EC05 came out, and I still wasn't rooted.

But, then one day, I learned that my wish was coming true, and that it was going to be coming out soon. I was very excited, but I kept it to myself. Then, it was released and I got dozens of PM's pointing me to that thread. Well, I went to Church that night, and while I was there I dropped my phone, and the screen broke. So, when I got home, I decided to use it as rooting practice. I had to try to get the process down of getting the theme installed like 5 times, before I realized that I was wiping data in CWM2, instead of caches.

But I eventually got it down, and when I got my refurb, I rooted it immediately, flashed a stock deodexed EC05 rom, and installed Simply Blue + 6lock mod.

And the rest is history, I joined ERA, and me and ac16313 did our first theme, Orange Eternity.

Now I'm a flashaholic, with a GS3 running CM10.

There are so many people that helped me through my journey:

ecooce, AproSamurai, ugothakd, qbking77, k0nane, MysteryEmotionz, DreamsForgotten, shane6374, iSaint, 063_xobx, styles420, and countless others. Not to mention the more(relatively)recent additions, like flastnoles11, darkierawr, kennyglass123. This place holds many memories.

Some not so good.

daddy_droid, LooneyRat, KrazyKamel, and all of his other names.

We need an "official" motto.

United we stand, as raging nerds.
    Our battles tough, trolls aplenty.
    Yet no puzzle, doest withstand.
    The ability of a community. Epic.

I'm sure that doesn't follow the rules of any poem or anything lol
    Remember "Can Zanderman make money by not rooting" thread? Good times....good times!

Sent from my PantechP4100 using xda premium