Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,298 Members 42,852 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC One X - ATT vs International(Benchmarks)

Tip us?

firesyde424
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default HTC One X - ATT vs International(Benchmarks)

Disclaimer: I am not a professional reviewer, these are just my observations.

Due to a lack of research on my part, I am currently the owner of both a US and International HTC One X. The short story is that I bought a used ATT One X after looking at the spec sheet, not realizing until after I had received it, that it was essentially half the phone that I was expecting. I didn't read the part about the US version being different. So I then tracked down an international version and have been doing some comparisons.

I have read several places, especially on the xda forums, that the US version is faster than the International version. However, after running several benchmarks, my results do not reflect that, not even remotely. For a comparison, I am including my current Droid RAZR. These are free apps from the Google Play market. These scores are the average of three runs, rounded up.

CF Bench(Higher is better): International - 13231, US - 9496, Droid RAZR - 4692

CPU Benchmark(Lower is better): International - 498ms, US - 602ms, Droid RAZR - 702ms

PassMark CPU Test(Higher is better): International - 7410, US - 3556, Droid RAZR - 3061

PassMark Disk Test(Higher is better): International - 3835, US - 3523, Droid RAZR - 2411

PassMark Memory Test(Higher is better): US - 1635, Droid RAZR - 938, International 920

PassMark 2D Graphics Test(Higher is better): International - 1878, Droid RAZR - 1833, US - 1533

PassMark 3D Graphics Test(Higher is better): International - 716, US - 668, Droid RAZR - 654

Quadrant Standard CPU(Higher is better): International - 13223, US - 8395, Droid RAZR - 4882

Quadrant Standard MEM(Higher is better): US - 7547, International - 3498, Droid RAZR - 2985

Quadrant Standard I/O(Higher is better): International - 5479, US - 3630, Droid RAZR - 2941

Quadrant Standard 2D(Higher is better): International - 1000, US - 990, Droid RAZR - 981

Quadrant Standard 3D(Higher is better): International - 2365, Droid RAZR - 2303, US - 2126

The international version is faster in almost every benchmark with the exception of the Memory(RAM) benchmarks.

My conclusion: People in the US market are getting screwed. The US version is slower(albeit only slightly in some cases), has half the storage space, comes with ATT crapware, and is also slightly slower than my Droid RAZR in some benchmarks.

What are your thoughts?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to firesyde424 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

colts187
Old
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
I've had both and the US version lags WAY more with the intl I had zero lag ever whatsoever. Even battery sucks more on at&t version. The one s was always compared to the one x bc.of the advantage of having the lower res screen helped it be close to X in the benchmarks

Sent from my LG-P880 using xda premium

colts187
Old
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
The freaking storage u get on the US version is what 9GB usable? Totally inexcusable, the price is finally where it needs to be, at $99 on contract

Sent from my LG-P880 using xda premium

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 4127
There are three issues with the U.S. One X (which is actually an XL):

- Adreno reserves 350MB of RAM for itself which kills multitasking which isn't too hot to begin with.

- There's 10GB of user available storage.

- The radios (BT & WI-Fi) are having tons more issues than the international version. It could just be AT&T's implementation of them.

If I had to buy a U.S. carrier phone, as much as like the One X, I'd buy an SGS3. There's a 1.7GHz Teg3/Icera LTE XL being tested for use on AT&T. That could be an interesting phone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

firesyde424
Old
(Last edited by firesyde424; 2nd August 2012 at 04:06 AM.) Reason: previous post answered question
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Here's something else I've just noticed: In "Settings" under the "Apps" heading and then the "Running" tab, you should get a good idea of how much RAM your phone is using. Both phones are supposed to have 1 GB of RAM. My international HOX shows 541 MB used and 438 MB free for a total off 979 MB(Close enough). My US HOX shows 341MB used and 331 MB free for a total of 672 MB of RAM.

Where is the rest of the RAM on my US HOX?

EDIT: Just saw a previous post that answered my question.
The Following User Says Thank You to firesyde424 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hamdir
Old
(Last edited by hamdir; 11th September 2012 at 04:03 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 13116
First time i notice this thread and i have to say nice job and thanks

you are basically confirming everything we analysed and predicted in the One X mega information thread

The dual krait snapdragon 4 was over hyped for the sake of competition with Tegra 3, in terms of graphics performance its no match to Tegra 3 on native 720p

Also all this abundance of memory bandwith is not needed unless you are on a quad processor, on the other hand the One X Tegra 3 has no memory bandwidth issues in actually real world due to the massive IO speed

This leaves battery, with the snapdragon 4 One X you are trading screen on times with screen off times on the Tegra 3 One X

Every snapdragon device i ever tested had the problem of drain during screen off, in fact nothing in the android world can match the dead sleep time on Tegra 3 thanks to the low power core

As for heat, things got a lot better in the latest update for the One X and it only appear when you push it hard with heavy games, you should perfectly accept this when you know your buying a quad core on 40nm
The Following User Says Thank You to hamdir For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

omar302
Old
Thanks Meter 391
Thanks for your tests. Since the tests were made in early August (before post date of 02-Aug-12), that time both HOX had Android 4.03. Now both have 4.04 (Firmware 2.17 for international & 2.20 for US) which, at least for the international version, brought major speed improvements.
Current:
HTC One (m8)

Past:
Tornado, Trinity (sold) - Kaiser (sold) - Diamond (sold) - Topaz (sold) - Leo (broke!) - Pyramid (sold) - EndeavorU - (sold) - M7 (sold).
The Following User Says Thank You to omar302 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shiningarmor
Old
Thanks Meter 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamdir View Post
First time i notice this thread and i have to say nice job and thanks

you are basically confirming everything we analysed and predicted in the One X mega information thread

The dual krait snapdragon 4 was over hyped for the sake of competition with Tegra 3, in terms of graphics performance its no match to Tegra 3 on native 720p

Also all this abundance of memory bandwith is not needed unless you are on a quad processor, on the other hand the One X Tegra 3 has no memory bandwidth issues in actually real world due to the massive IO speed

This leaves battery, with the snapdragon 4 One X you are trading screen on times with screen off times on the Tegra 3 One X

Every snapdragon device i ever tested had the problem of drain during screen off, in fact nothing in the android world can match the dead sleep time on Tegra 3 thanks to the low power core

As for heat, things got a lot better in the latest update for the One X and it only appear when you push it hard with heavy games, you should perfectly accept this when you know your buying a quad core on 40nm
wait till u see tegra 4, 32nm and 1.8ghz quad
as usual, an even more powerful geforce gpu
Phones ..

DHD -> INCS -> SENSATION -> ONE X -> ONE [SOON...]
currently :
ARHD 19.4 + XM kernel #274 = pure awesomeness
The Following User Says Thank You to shiningarmor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

firesyde424
Old
(Last edited by firesyde424; 23rd September 2012 at 09:44 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Here are some more benchmarks. Took screenshots. 1st pic is the US HOX, 2nd one is the Global HOX.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HOX US.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1348899   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOX Int.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1348900