Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,660 Members 53,971 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Verizon mobile hotspot vs tethering via foxfi

Tip us?

cell128
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 140
Default Verizon mobile hotspot vs tethering via foxfi

Does anyone know or heard of anyone getting busted by verizon for tetherig without paying for it? I just upgraded to a galaxy s3 and I tether to my nexus 7 via foxfi. I noticed that it uses up quite a bit of bandwidth as I use it at work to stream videos. I used about 22gb in 2 weeks with my phone and nexus combined. I didn't want to get busted so I signed up for their hotspot plan which I get for $24 due to my discount and its unlimited (thank god). But with their hotspot app my phone gets extremely hot and sucks the battery super fast while foxfi runs very cool and I noticed that I watched a episode and a half of breaking bad and it only went down from 87% down to like 82% that really impressed me. So I cancelled my hotspot plan and just use foxfi instead do you guys think verizon will come after me if I tether like around 10-20gb a month? I don't want to lose unlimited but I don't want to use their crappy hotspot app either. I could pay for the hotspot service and use foxfi anyways so they won't get me for not being subscribed to a hotspot plan but It seems pointless to pay them and not use their app when I can do it on my own for free. Any advice???

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to cell128 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

p-slim
Old
Thanks Meter 292
Verizon has no idea if you're tethering, no way to get caught. Use which ever app works best for you

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
VZW Galaxy S 4
Nexus 7
------------------------
Google is the next skynet

cell128
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 140
That makes me feel so much better I really want to believe you but I'm kind of paranoid I might just pay them for the right to use it and use foxfi anyways lol do you also tether with them?

WeldFire
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
Verizon has no idea if you're tethering, no way to get caught. Use which ever app works best for you

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Well I wouldn't say they have no idea... if you go from no data usage to 100 GB in a month I believe they would start to question, however you are most likely pretty safe.

cell128
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 140
I just subscribed to it just to play it safe now I can do whatever I want with no worries only 24$ extra