Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,710 Members 39,397 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How To - Load full desktop websites permanently in Chrome for Android Mobile

Tip us?

omac_ranger
Old
(Last edited by omac_ranger; 22nd October 2012 at 02:36 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 228
Default How To - Load full desktop websites permanently in Chrome for Android Mobile

Hey guys, I wrote an article over on our site that shows a quick walkthrough on how to display full desktop websites permanently on Chrome for Android Mobile so that you don't have to visit the mobile site, then hit "request desktop site" button any more. Considering Chrome is an awesome browser with full sync, and works very well on Jelly Bean, this might be of use to all of you. I know I was sick of having to constantly click the button.

Article: How To Permanently Have Desktop Mode on Chrome Mobile for Android

Rooted device Instructions:
Copy the chrome-command-line.txt file attached to the post, then paste it into /data/local/ making sure to set the permissions to 755 and to remove the '.txt' file extension.

Flashable .zip, for the lazy:
You should know how to use this by now. Grab the attached ChromeDE.zip provided by XDA user djmcnz and flash away! (Thanks!) You can also drop him a thanks by visiting a post of his later in this thread.

ADB Instructions (for non-rooted devices):
Place the chrome-command-line.txt file in the root directory of your PC and rename it to 'chrome-command-line', then make sure your device is connected to your computer. When connected, issue this command:
Code:
adb push /chrome-command-line /data/local/chrome-command-line
You can also set the path on your computer where the file is located by replacing the first '/chrome-command-line' with the file location.

Cheers! Hopefully we'll see a better implementation of this in the upcoming 4.2 release.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ChromeDE.zip - [Click for QR Code] (154.3 KB, 6580 views)
File Type: txt chrome-command-line.txt - [Click for QR Code] (127 Bytes, 21161 views)
The Following 82 Users Say Thank You to omac_ranger For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

C64c
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Very useful. Instructions were clear and precise, Nice one!
O2 UK, 3G
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Stock

b3ava
Old
Thanks Meter 6
thank you very well apreciated is there any chance you can write 1 on how to make it more stable?:P

omac_ranger
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3ava View Post
thank you very well apreciated is there any chance you can write 1 on how to make it more stable?:P
Thanks guys, glad I could help. Wish I knew how to make it more stable! It seems that it runs much better on Jelly Bean, but us ICS users are still stuck with it being really slow and buggy

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to omac_ranger For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bunnybash
Old
Thanks Meter 161
I am stuck trying to figure out what "set permissions to 755" means...

it seems in the video you just tick different boxes, how does that relate to 755??

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
HTC Desire - Galaxy S2 - Galaxy S3 - Galaxy Note 2

The Following User Says Thank You to bunnybash For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

omac_ranger
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybash View Post
I am stuck trying to figure out what "set permissions to 755" means...

it seems in the video you just tick different boxes, how does that relate to 755??

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
I'm using solid explorer off of the market (a free file manager) which allows you to set the permissions of a file. In solid explorer, they are set by ticking the correct boxes, whereas in other applications they are typed in by number..

The Following User Says Thank You to omac_ranger For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rockky
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Hey thanks for this....huge chrome pet peeve of mine...
Can you write a command for FULL screen!!
When i click the download command file (on Nexus)it just opens to a large field with text...nothing downloads.
Suggestion?
thanks
Palm Treo600
Treo 650
HTC Hermes
Iphone, and 3G,
Nexus One
Htc Evo
Htc Evo 3D
Samsung Galaxy S II 2
Epic 4G Touch
Samsung Galaxy Note
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Sony Xperia Ultra LTE
Sony Xperia Ultra Google Play Edition
Huawei Ascend Mate2
Huawei MediaPad
The Following User Says Thank You to rockky For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

omac_ranger
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Hey thanks for this....huge chrome pet peeve of mine...
Can you write a command for FULL screen!!
When i click the download command file (on Nexus)it just opens to a large field with text...nothing downloads.
Suggestion?
thanks
You can just copy the text and paste it into the correct location in a file called "chrome-command-line"

rockky
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Thanks very much...got it.
Hey, (cough , hate to push a good thing) do you think you could produce a similar command to enable full screen on chrome mobile?!!

QUOTE=omac_ranger;30213316]You can just copy the text and paste it into the correct location in a file called "chrome-command-line"

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Premium HD app[/QUOTE]
Palm Treo600
Treo 650
HTC Hermes
Iphone, and 3G,
Nexus One
Htc Evo
Htc Evo 3D
Samsung Galaxy S II 2
Epic 4G Touch
Samsung Galaxy Note
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Sony Xperia Ultra LTE
Sony Xperia Ultra Google Play Edition
Huawei Ascend Mate2
Huawei MediaPad

omac_ranger
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Thanks very much...got it.
Hey, (cough , hate to push a good thing) do you think you could produce a similar command to enable full screen on chrome mobile?!!

QUOTE=omac_ranger;30213316]You can just copy the text and paste it into the correct location in a file called "chrome-command-line"

Don't think it works that way mate. That one was built into Chrome, just enabled by the file.

Tags
chrome android desktop permanent