Ask a question

No registration required

Nexus 7 extremely slow :(

OP dbjunction

2nd August 2012, 08:23 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
I got my Nexus 7 in the first batch from Gamestop on the day of release. Initially, the performance was very fast, even faster than my Galaxy S2. However, after a couple of weeks now, it has become extremely slow. It is still stock, havent even rooted it. It is a 16gb model, and has close to 10gb free. I have tried clearing cache, closing all running applications, restarting but nothing really has worked.

The problem is almost every app is very slow. I get a notification of an email, i click on it and then stare at the white email screen for almost 10 sec before it opens up (the regular email app). It almost feels like a different device now than what i bought few weeks back. Other applications that run equally slow - Google Reader, Chrome, WSJ (this is perhaps the worst), Fluent News Reader. I am not much into games so havent tried a lot of them.Oh, and it is no match now to my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket or even HP Touchpad Cm9 that i got rid of last week.

I don't want to exchange it as it does not suffer from all the other problems being reported here (and am afraid that the new one might exhibit those). Please help.
2nd August 2012, 08:41 PM   |  #2  
Flag Mesa AZ
Thanks Meter: 556

2,315 posts
More
Just a guess, but you most likely loaded something on it that is doing that. Check what you have installed on it, perhaps uninstalling some of the larger things to see if you can figure out what is holding it up.
2nd August 2012, 09:15 PM   |  #3  
Flag Washington D.C.
Thanks Meter: 7

10 posts
More
Database Stock Nexus 7 Image
If cleaning the device does not work, you can always flash back to the stock image, which can be found on developers.google.com

Be sure to backup your apps and data!
2nd August 2012, 09:28 PM   |  #4  
Flag Sacramento
Thanks Meter: 6

33 posts
More
or for the most simple of us...

Setting>Privicy>Factory reset.

That will remove any app that might be causing it.

Be warned tho, i think on this device it wipes the internal storage...
Last edited by urfate; 2nd August 2012 at 09:34 PM.
2nd August 2012, 09:54 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 104

172 posts
how is your WiFi signal?

seeing how almost every app require internet access, the delay could be it trying to connect.
Last edited by dilldoe; 2nd August 2012 at 09:57 PM.
2nd August 2012, 10:06 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Actually I thought that too... but my wireless signal is very strong in my small apartment and i have 30mbps line. I checked with speednet app and i am getting 13mpbs down, 4 mpbs up on nexus 7.

I am happy that this seems like my issue only - i will try to remove apps one by one to see if it helps or worst case, i will do a factory reset.

I was wondering if there are any known culprit apps responsible for memory leaks or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilldoe

how is your WiFi signal?

seeing how almost every app require internet access, the delay could be it trying to connect.

2nd August 2012, 10:17 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 25

338 posts
I have noticed how mine has been very sluggish when there are apps upgrading in the background or installing, etc. Maybe turn off auto update for play store?
2nd August 2012, 10:19 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,483

3,666 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjunction

Actually I thought that too... but my wireless signal is very strong in my small apartment and i have 30mbps line. I checked with speednet app and i am getting 13mpbs down, 4 mpbs up on nexus 7.

I am happy that this seems like my issue only - i will try to remove apps one by one to see if it helps or worst case, i will do a factory reset.

I was wondering if there are any known culprit apps responsible for memory leaks or something.

If you send me a PM, I'll give you my email address and I can help you narrow it down by using screenshots of your app drawer.
2nd August 2012, 10:19 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 104

172 posts
install watchdog task manager lite, it monitors app in the background and tells you which one is causing problems.
have you tried turning off gps (location service) and see if hats the issue?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dilldoe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd August 2012, 03:40 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 6

34 posts
same thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjunction

I got my Nexus 7 in the first batch from Gamestop on the day of release. Initially, the performance was very fast, even faster than my Galaxy S2. However, after a couple of weeks now, it has become extremely slow. It is still stock, havent even rooted it. It is a 16gb model, and has close to 10gb free. I have tried clearing cache, closing all running applications, restarting but nothing really has worked.

The problem is almost every app is very slow. I get a notification of an email, i click on it and then stare at the white email screen for almost 10 sec before it opens up (the regular email app). It almost feels like a different device now than what i bought few weeks back. Other applications that run equally slow - Google Reader, Chrome, WSJ (this is perhaps the worst), Fluent News Reader. I am not much into games so havent tried a lot of them.Oh, and it is no match now to my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket or even HP Touchpad Cm9 that i got rid of last week.

I don't want to exchange it as it does not suffer from all the other problems being reported here (and am afraid that the new one might exhibit those). Please help.

Just wanted you to know you aren't alone here...I have been seeing the same exact behavior on mine. I have started to uninstall apps one by one. I must be a bad app or something. If not I'm gonna wipe it and start over. It does feel disconcerting to go from easily the best tablet experience I have ever had to it becoming so sluggish.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread