This was done on an UNTOUCHED HTC EVO 3D. Updated to ICS with the OFFICIAL Sprint OTA Update released July 31st - August 1
Technical details of what the OTA Updated my phone to:
- Android ICS 4.0.3
- HTC Sense 3.6.
- HBOOT 1.58
- Software version 2.89.651.2 710RD
PUT 1 - 4 HOURS ASIDE FOR THIS PROJECT
READ - READ - READ THE ENTIRE GUIDE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER!
After finishing this you WILL end up with the exact same Android version just unlocked bootloader, S-OFF, and root (SuperUser).
It will be ENTIRELY up to you to flash ROMs and other stuff. I wanted a CLEAN ICS experience with root and the future possibility on flashing ROMS and stuff.
I am not responsible if you make any mistakes or this does not work for you. Don't forget to backup! I backed up my entire SD card, used Appbrain for making a quick list of apps I had installed (tho not for recovering, just for reference..the site's not working 100%), then duplicate the list made.
It is advised to NOT take any OTA updates after rooting until it has been confirmed working or a way to do so safely!
Download the following files (in red) and complete these steps before starting:
- HTC Drivers HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe (You will need Windows 7 max - Win8 does not work) (install now)
- S-OFF Tools HTC EVO S-OFF Tools [(Mirror)] - (extract somewhere easily accessible)
adb.exe (from Adnroids SDK, used to connect to mobile device) ---
adbWinApi.dll (dll for adb) ---
AdbWinUSBApi.dll (dll for adb) ---
fastboot.exe (from Android's SDK, used to connect to mobile device) ---
recovery.img (4EXT Touch Recovery) --- Official 4EXT Thread
- JuopunutBear S-OFF JBear ICS Tool - "WireTrick" program for ICS for the latest Hboot. [Official Website] - [Thread] ----
- SU Flashable (for root) - Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip [Make sure you have the right version] Official App Thread Here (save, do not extract, place on SD card as well)
- Enable USB Debugging on ICS (Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging).
- Get a small piece of INSULATED cable with ends stripped.
1. Unlock via HTC Dev Unlock Bootloader.
You will need an account, sign up.
You will use the S-OFF Tools from above.
You are now ***Unlocked***
- Choose EVO 3D (Sprint) from the list and begin
- Accept Legal Terms
- If you have already installed the ICS Update (most likely already done) just scroll all the way down and go to "Proceed to step 1", otherwise, read the info!
- Follow the instructions on the page (Pull battery. Hold Down Volume and Power...so on)
- On Step 5 all the tools are on the S-OFF Tools folder you should have extracted earlier, open a command prompt and navigate to the extracted folder (Windows 7 users: Hold SHIFT key and right click the folder holding the files, choose "Open Command Window Here")
Proceed to Step 8 when you have the Command Prompt Open
You can install the SDK, follow the steps if you do not trust my files attached
- Continue to follow all the steps, if done correctly you will receive an email with an attachment "Unlock_code.bin", download it from your email. In the same email you will need to follow the link mentioned and continue the unlock process. If you don't get the notice about the "Token Submitted Successfully!" check your copied/pasted identifier token.
- On your phone you will need to manually accept unlocking.
- Do NOT do Step 14. It is not necessary as mentioned.
2. Flash 4EXT recovery.
3.Installing SuperUser, aka, ROOTING
Within the S-OFF Tools folder is the "recovery.img" included. This is the 4EXT Touch Recovery image, if you prefer to download from source directly, rename to "recovery.img" before proceeding.
Open a command prompt window, and change directory to where you unzipped the S-OFF Tools folder.
(Windows 7 users: Hold SHIFT key and right click the folder holding the files, choose "Open Command Window Here")
Enter the following commands:
"adb push recovery.img /sdcard/" (no quotes)
Once finished enter
"adb reboot bootloader" (if this does not work, do it manually...Pull battery, Vol Down + Power)
Once the bootloader loads, enter
"fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
Once it is finished, enter
"adb reboot recovery" - If this last command does not work, on the phone use the Volume Up/Down Keys and choose "Recovery" manually, press the Power button to select it, I had to do this.
When recovery 4EXT recovery boots and loads
Press "tools" on the menu, scoll down to "enable 4EXT smartflash" and select it. This is REQUIRED since we are still S-ON.
Back out of this menu once, STAY ON 4EXT Main Menu.
4. JuopunutBear's Wire Trick (S-OFF)
You should already be on recovery from previous step, if not boot into bootloader [Pull Battery, VolDown+Power]
Use the Vol Up/Down Rocker at the bootloader and choose "Recovery"
Once you're on recovery, follow these steps to flash this zip:
If you forgot to load Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip on SD Card, you can "toggle usb storage" on the main menu of 4EXT and load it from your computer.
- On the main menu of 4EXT select "install from sdcard"
- Then "toggle script asserts" (to Enabled)
- In the same menu select "choose zip from sdcard"
- browse for Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip and install.
- You may now reboot (use the menus in 4EXT)
- In the Apps Menu you should have "SuperUser" added, open it and update binaries.
- Reinstall your apps, etc.
- Have fun!
You may now continue using your phone with root or install custom ROMs.
- READ BOTH OF THESE! How-To/Main Instructions and Detailed instructions for HTC EVO 3D. It is IMPORTANT you read them to have an idea, watch the video. This is NOT hard, but keep in mind:
- You are only tapping the wire a split second, don't hold it in place
- You need to have an insulated cable. Do not TOUCH the cable/components with bare hands.
- Patience, it may take in the first couple tries it may not, it took me over 15 tries to finally get it.
- After you are ready, run "ControlBear.exe" from the JBear ICS Tool folder we downloaded
- It may take several tries with the wire trick, once done correctly the program will move on. Otherwise it will repeat the message to do the wire-trick.
- It is not necessary to install the custom HBOOT, when you are given the choice, decline. If you are curious about what this does, ask their support on the official page.
I don't have any screenshots for this, but its all pretty automated, and mentions a lot of "beer". It will also attempt a backup of boot, recovery, and sdcard.
If done successfully, you are now S-OFF! (You can confirm by turning phone off and Vol Down + Power key to check).
IN CASE OF DISASTER
FOR REFERENCE ONLY/IN CASE YOU NEED A RUU:
These are only here for those people that need a RUU file, if you don't have any issues, ignore
mpgrimm2's list of stock RUU's
RUU_Shooter_ICS_35_S_Sprint_WWE_2.89.651.2_Radio_1 .09.00.0706_signed.zip or .exe by the same name should work in case you need a way to restore! put the .zip in root of SD card and rename "PG86IMG.zip" otherwise plug phone in computer and run the .exeQuote:Originally Posted by mpgrimm2
Post 11. My Gathered RUU .exe/.zip Links
Here are some of the RUU EXE/ZIP links that I have come across.
Credits: This guide was put together from information found from xfrobex, Tribulattifather, and other members.
Thanks to JuopunutBear team, the creators of the 4EXT recovery. Thanks to coal686 and mpgrimm2 for their help!