5,597,084 Members 46,758 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][FIX] Nvidia PRISM/smartdimmer - fix screen washout after watching videos

Tip us?

Metallice
Old
(Last edited by Metallice; 7th October 2012 at 06:42 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 4404

DONATE TO ME
Default [GUIDE][FIX] Nvidia PRISM/smartdimmer - fix screen washout after watching videos

THE PROBLEM

To save battery while playing video Tegra intelligently decreases the backlight while increasing color brightness and contrast. Because it monitors on a frame by frame basis the changes are often unnoticable. You basically end up with the same displayed image using less backlight.

Unfortunately it seems to get stuck even after you leave the video and the changes are very noticeable as the changes were specific to the video frame you just left and not your homescreen.

This also may be the cause of some ghosting issues and for some it seems to eliminate any ghosting problems for them.

MANUAL FIX
(will reset at each reboot)

In terminal -
(You may need to type "su" and press enter before entering these commands)

To turn it off

echo "0" > /sys/devices/tegradc.0/smartdimmer/enable

To change how aggressive it is (untested)

echo "#" > /sys/devices/tegradc.0/smartdimmer/aggressiveness

Note: battery life while watching videos WILL decrease if you turn it off or decrease the aggresiveness

AUTOMATIC FIX

Trickster Mod
- has the ability to disable PRISM and set it to disable on boot.

N7scripts.rar
- A collection of scripts compiled by hamdir which, in conjunction with Script Manager (available in the market) will allow you to toggle smartdimmer/PRISM on and off at will.
- You can also use script manager to toggle it at boot if you want.
- Also includes a script to disable 3D scaling which may improve 3D gaming performance (untested)

Thanks to hamdir for his pack of scripts and for convincing me to make a new post for these fixes.
Attached Files
File Type: rar N7scripts.rar - [Click for QR Code] (435 Bytes, 1909 views)
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Metallice For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Metallice
Old
Thanks Meter 4404

DONATE TO ME
I may use this for other sysfs tweaks... mine for now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metallice For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

player911
Old
(Last edited by player911; 5th August 2012 at 01:11 AM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 876

DONATE TO ME
Thanks. Easier to save and flash then manually entering in these values each time I crackflash.

If the T3 can increase the color saturation and gamma while decreasing backlight, wonder if we can increase the colors while leaving the backlight alone. All of the N7s I've played with have a dull washed out look with a warm tone for whites.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
LG G2 - Modded Stock
Nexus 7 FHD - Jelly Bean 4.4.2 [CM Kang Banged]
HTC Touch Pro►HTC Touch Diamond 2►Nexus One►LG G2x►HTC Rezound►Galaxy NexusLG G2!
iPad►iPad2►Asus TransformerGalaxy Tab 7 [CM10]Nook►Nook TabletNexus 7Nexus 7 FHD!

[Site Owner] MiiWiiChat.com - Free Chat for your Wii
[Site Owner] SnapSite Admins.com - Free Custom Website

Like what I do? - Donations welcome or hit the Thanks button!

sharp2G
Old
(Last edited by sharp2G; 5th August 2012 at 02:24 AM.)
Thanks Meter 38
does flashing the .zip just delete the PRISM file? cuz when I manually enter the command after flashing it via CWM it doesn't allow me to any more.

"
ROM may flash stock recovery on boot? Fix?

No
Yes - Disable Recovery flash
+++ Go back +++

which reboots if you "go back" what is this?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you set up the script? I have script manager and the Scrip.rar saved onto my SD card. Thanks in advance!

Metallice
Old
Thanks Meter 4404

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by player911 View Post
Thanks. Easier to save and flash then manually entering in these values each time I crackflash.

If the T3 can increase the color saturation and gamma while decreasing backlight, wonder if we can increase the colors while leaving the backlight alone. All of the N7s I've played with have a dull washed out look with a warm tone for whites.

Messing with the kernel I haven't had any luck. You could ask Morfic. He might be able to make something happen.

Also prism increase color BRIGHTNESS for the most part (you said saturation). That's why the homescreen ends up looking washed out and bright and not oversaturated when PRISM fails to shut off.

Metallice
Old
Thanks Meter 4404

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp2G View Post
does flashing the .zip just delete the PRISM file? cuz when I manually enter the command after flashing it via CWM it doesn't allow me to any more.

"
ROM may flash stock recovery on boot? Fix?

No
Yes - Disable Recovery flash
+++ Go back +++

which reboots if you "go back" what is this?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you set up the script? I have script manager and the Scrip.rar saved onto my SD card. Thanks in advance!
There's no prism file. These tweaks are changing a sysfs value. There's no file. The flashable zip adds an init.d file that runs the manual command at every boot.

In your case CWM is complaining about a file that flashes stock recovery on boot and overwrites CWM. These are completely different things. Let CWM "disable recovery flash" and you'll be good to go.

archie88
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This is awesome. It definitely needs to be implemented in a ton of ROMs

jarjar124
Old
Thanks Meter 2549

DONATE TO ME
so does flashing this decrease battery life when watching videos? im confused by op..

Like A Boss

hamdir
Old
(Last edited by hamdir; 5th August 2012 at 11:36 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12389
awesome post, thx!

yes this fix, completely get rid of the grey levels washout issues!!! and greatly improves the quality of the display, it will cost some battery life, but any boost to this average screen is welcome

now about ghosting it did reduce it a lot but sadly it didn't kill it, i still get the very random occasion of faint LCD ghosting

finally we really need to find out a way to fix the stupid low saturation, in particularly the greens are very low

google....these screen issues, lack of tablet UI and launcher rotation issues, makes want to smash it through the wall

phanboy4
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Nice find. Hopefully Google/Nvidia/Asus will fix this in an update.