difference between bootloader and SIMlock

Search This thread

hanlinwu

Aug 5, 2012
Anchorage
Hello all,

I just got an AT&T HTC one X (first smartphone in my life), rooted the phone and unlocked the bootloader by following the tutorial posted on XDA and official HTC bootloader-locking website. (Hail grankin01!) I am pretty sure that my HTC is unlocked (UNLOCK was shown on bootloader).

When I plugged in my SIM card, which was from T-mobile USA, I was asked to enter 8-digit network PIN number. I was confused and started to google related information and found no tutorial regarding how to unlock SIMLock. (It seems I need to provide IMEI and purchase from phone-hacking website.)

I have no intention to ask how to break SIMlock or PIN number but eagerly want to know the background and difference between bootloader(hardlock?) and SIMlock.

I am very new in the area of Andriod development and smartphone (touch-screen phone), the terminologies or concept I used above could be flawed and make no sense. I will be very appreciate if someone corrects me or posts related information.

Thanks!!!

R

redfrog1243

Bootloader is only for for changing roms, not SIM

Sent from my fauxed HOX running ARHD 8.0.0

Alex240188

May 4, 2010
Hull
A boot loader unlock means you can flash custom ROMs and recoveries

Sim unlock is so you can inserts different providers sim
You can usually get your sim unlock code free by ringing your provider and telling them you are going abroad and would like to use an international sim whilst away

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Reactions: hanlinwu

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A boot loader unlock means you can flash custom ROMs and recoveries

Sim unlock is so you can inserts different providers sim
    You can usually get your sim unlock code free by ringing your provider and telling them you are going abroad and would like to use an international sim whilst away

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app