[TUTORIAL][HTC Explorer/Pico] TroubleShooting a "Struck" HTC Explorer/pico
TroubleShoot & Unbrick Your HTC Explorer
So, You got your (supposing) first Android device, and were amazed at all the capabilities the Android OS gave to you, and hence started exploring the world of custom ROM's and some of you (like me) even started basic modding of ROM's to suit personal needs, And hence somehow MANAGED to end up with a struck HTC whitescreen or a Bootloop? Or you are facing some other problems after rooting?
Believe me, Thats quite natural, even i asked for help in my early n00b days! Its fine to ask questions, AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT ALREADY ANSWERED
Whatever the problem is, I hope this guide can solve it. Also, it is not easily possible
for any normal rooted user to have a Hard Bricked
Phone, which of course has no solutions, Other than using it as a paperweight.The methods can be used to revive a phone from a soft brick, or a bootloop. The techniques mentioned below should work on most HTC phones
with some minor changes.
- Case  You are struck in a bootloop...
- That is not a big deal actually. 90% chances are that a full data wipe will throw it out form the bootloop.
- Ok, so a data wipe didnt worked and you are still struck at the bootanimation.... Try replacing the systemui.apk and framework-res.apk of the rom with a rom which was booting properly. (This case is valid mostly if you were theming stuff for you own personal ROM)
- Case You are struck on the whitescreen HTC logo. (aka Softbrick)
- Confirm if you can go to the recovery via the bootloader menu or not. If no, check the next case.
- This usaually happens due to an improperly cooked ROM. And no such ROM is available on XDA as far as i know, so this is for the beginner customizers.
- Simply flash another ROM after wipe data/ Factory Reset. This will fix the issue.
- Case You cannot even go to the recovery! (aka A bad but still a Soft Brick)
Ok mate, I managed to get to the recovery, NOW WHAT??
- The title is actually misleading... YOU CAN ALWAYS GO TO THE RECOVERY.
- Sometimes it happens that the memory at the time of boot is so full, that it cannot process all the commands at once, and hence gets struck when choosing recovery option from the bootloader menu.
- Take out the battery, reinsert it...
- Press and hold the power button for GREATER than 15 seconds. Continue holding it even after the screen has turned on. (This is a kind of factory reset)
- Either wait for the bootanimation or pull the battery again after 30 seconds or so and retry entering the recovery via bootloader menu.
I wish to move from Sense based ROM's to CyanogenMod or ICS or JellyBean or vice versa, Any special procedures?
- Congratulations, First of all
- Wipe data/Factory reset your phone.
- (optional) Wipe Dalvik Cache ... from the advanced options in recovery.
- Wipe data and flash a ROM which is gurranteed to work.
- First, All the mentioned ROM's HAVE SUCCESFULLY BEEN PORTED FOR EXPLORER... expect threads within few days.
- The steps mentioned for installing the ROM's , on the respective threads are good enough.
- Be on the safe side, go to recovery> Mounts and storage> format /data, /cache, /system partitions.
- After formatting them, don't forget to MOUNT THEM.
- Flash ROM and if needed, do a factory reset after flashing.
So, your issue is still not solved? Already unlocked the bootloader, and thus voided your warranty? And now thinking of going to the HTC Service center to get your issue fixed?
STOP! Remember that your warranty is now totally void?
What face will you show in the service center?
I have got a solution for you... WAIT TILL S-OFF GUIDE. There will be a (hopefully simplified) copy of that here... (after due permission from op)
The solution provided will LOCK your bootloader and it will appear as LOCKED instead of Re-Locked... But a risky process and can harm your phone permanently...
S-OFF is there for pico.. just not for the masses...
If this guide helped you in any way, Dont say or post thanks.... There is a button for it, so USE IT!
Inactive for a while...
ROM-ABL(e) SenseLess v3 for HERE!
SlimCyan 9 for HTC Pico/Explorer See the Thread!
Facebook Dev Page for Explorer
Get real time updates ^^^
Troubleshoot almost any HTC Phone! (Originally meant for Explorer)
Shoot the troubles HERE!
The intro video clearly says "Use the thanks button, use it everytime you get an answer, EVEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, you ungrateful... nevermind"