Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more

[FIX] Screen Lift & Washed Out Screen

OP sharp2G

6th August 2012, 05:05 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 41

741 posts
More
From my Nexus 7 RMA units, I still found these issues, so with the help of the XDA community I took matters into my own hands.

Screen Lift & LCD Ripples

1. Power off your Nexus 7
2. Open the back cover (I used a credit card)
3. Since the screen lift issue is on the left hand side, remove all the screws (5 silver 1 black on the bottom left if you can [I couldn't]) on the left hand side
4. Using a blow dryer, warm up the entire left back hand side while gently applying pressure for about 2-3 minutes.
5. Flip your Nexus 7 so it is facing you (camera side up) and once again apply pressure from the top to bottom.
6. Re-screw
7. Put back cover on

***NOTE*** By fixing the screen separation it appears you also prevent LCD screen rippling on the left hand side, as well as screen creaking Coolio! :high five:

Credit goes out to Thoram for finding this

Washed out Screen after Watching Full Screen Videos [NEED ROOT]

1. Download Script Manager from the Play Store
2. Download https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd6ucv4spw...tDimmer-OFF.sh and save to SD card
3. Allow Script Manager SU privileges
4. Go to where you saved the ".sh" script and highlight "Su" and "Boot" then click "Save" and "Exit"
5. Restart your device

***NOTE*** Upon boot up you should see that "Smanager ads have been granted SU privileges...." That's how you know your script has been applied on boot up.

Credit goes out to Metallice for finding this
Last edited by sharp2G; 6th August 2012 at 05:08 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sharp2G For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th August 2012, 05:11 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 24

220 posts
re - the screen lift fix above:

this makes no difference to my screen lift or creaky screen. Neither did it on the unit that I RMA'd last week. Nor changing screw tension and/ or clamping.

the only thing that did make a difference was the washer/ shim method, but that only stopped the creaking, not the lift.
6th August 2012, 05:16 PM   |  #3  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 462

2,379 posts
More
Just a note for the screen wash out, if you apply this fix you will notice decreased battery life while watching videos. Just figured I mention.
The Following User Says Thank You to miketoasty For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th August 2012, 05:21 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

741 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoasty

Just a note for the screen wash out, if you apply this fix you will notice decreased battery life while watching videos. Just figured I mention.

that's what I heard as well, but I still get around 6 hours screen time like before. also the pros far out weight the cons imo.
6th August 2012, 05:25 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

741 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eager27

re - the screen lift fix above:

this makes no difference to my screen lift or creaky screen. Neither did it on the unit that I RMA'd last week. Nor changing screw tension and/ or clamping.

the only thing that did make a difference was the washer/ shim method, but that only stopped the creaking, not the lift.

I guess the only reasonable assumption is that screen lifting is a it different for everyone. when I opened it up all my screws were tight, buy after applying this fix I no longer have screen lifting or creaking or LCD ripples.
6th August 2012, 08:55 PM   |  #6  
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 305

2,069 posts
More
Do google even know about the screen washed out problem why don't they release a ota fix?
6th August 2012, 09:04 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

741 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jutley

Do google even know about the screen washed out problem why don't they release a ota fix?

well apparently it has to do with nvidia drivers so calling Google and harassing them about nvidia is the best you could probably do. without doubt Google and nvidia will do something, but not for a while in my opinion. so when someone asks you why you would root a stock jelly bean device, well this is why. I love the fixes found on xda!

Sent from my HTC One X
6th August 2012, 09:39 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 94

465 posts
Thanks a lot the script for the screen washed out problem has worked flawlessly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
6th August 2012, 10:00 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 21

127 posts
How long ago did you apply the screen lift fix? I tried the other fix and it only lasted for a few hours before lifting again.
6th August 2012, 10:15 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

741 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saadi703

Thanks a lot the script for the screen washed out problem has worked flawlessly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

glad it worked =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperdude111

How long ago did you apply the screen lift fix? I tried the other fix and it only lasted for a few hours before lifting again.

I did this two days ago and have 0 problems since.

Sent from my HTC One X
Last edited by sharp2G; 6th August 2012 at 10:18 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
fix, how to, screen lift, video, washed out
Previous Thread Next Thread