Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,235 Members 51,697 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REVIEW] GameKlip - Phone Mount for PS3 Dualshock Controller

Tip us?

tmcquake
Old
(Last edited by tmcquake; 30th August 2012 at 04:04 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Thumbs up [REVIEW] GameKlip - Phone Mount for PS3 Dualshock Controller

GameKlip Review:

I've been using the GameKlip for a few days now and here are my thoughts on it.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with GameKlip in any way other than as a satisfied customer.

First some background:

The GameKlip was created by a gentleman named Ryan French, a student at the University of Washington. He makes GameKlips for many android phones including all Galaxy S3 variants, the Galaxy Nexus, the HTC Evo 4G and One X, a bunch of Galaxy S2 variants, and the Galaxy Note. He is also developing a tablet version of the GameKlip. The GameKlip comes in both a wireless and wired version. This review is of the wireless version. The wired version is identical except it includes a mini usb to micro usb cable to connect the phone to the PS3 controller.

I love to play games on my G Note but I hate on screen controls, so I've been using the SixAxis controller app (Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...250cm9sbGVyIl0.) and a PS3 dual shock controller for a while. The only drawback is I had to prop the Note up somehow, either leaning it against something or using a case with a kickstand. So when I came across the GameKlip, I ordered one right away. Here are my thoughts on the GameKlip for the Galaxy Note I717.

The Good:

The GameKlip is well made and fits both the PS3 controller and the Note well. The GameKlip is constructed of black plastic. It takes a bit of wrestling to get it onto the PS3 controller, but once on the controller, it fits perfectly and securely. The GameKlip doesn't interfere with any of the buttons or bumpers and it holds the Note at a comfortable viewing angle. There are pieces of felt attached to the end tabs to prevent scratching on the edges of the Note and keeps it snug in the GameKlip.

The Bad:

The size of the GameKlip seems a bit narrow based on how wide the Note is. What I mean by that, is not much of the Note actually fits into the GameKlip. The GameKlip could have been another quarter inch or so taller t allow more of the device to fit into the GameKlip. The Note fits securly into the bracket, but I would feel better if more of the Note was held in the GameKlip.

The location of the bottom tabs on the GameKlip interfere with the hardware buttons on the Note. For example, if the Note is inserted with the micro usb connector to the left, the bottom right tab hits the power button. Alternately, if the Note is installed with the micro usb connector to the right, the bottom left tab hits the volume rocker. It prevents the Note from being fully inserted into the GameKlip bracket, which would not be a big deal except for the depth of the bracket is pretty shallow, as I noted previously.

Overall

Despite the couple design issues that I noted above, I am very satisfied with the GameKlip. It completely solves an issue that I had with mobile gaming and I give a lot of credit to the creator for identifying a smartphone accessory need that wasn't being addressed, or at least not being addressed properly, and creating a product that meets that need.

I have been using the GameKlip every day for my mobile gaming since I received it, and I definitely recommend this product to other smartphone owners who enjoy mobile gaming but hate on screen controls. I especially recommend this product to fellow Note owners because the size of the screen on our Note lends itself so well to gaming.

The GameKlip is available at www.thegameklip.com for $15.00 (wireless) and $23.00 USD plus shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0418.JPG
Views:	1549
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	1291432   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0420.JPG
Views:	1306
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1291433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0421.JPG
Views:	1315
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	1291434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0422.JPG
Views:	1083
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	1291435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0423.JPG
Views:	947
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1291440  

Name:	IMG_0424.JPG
Views:	969
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	1291441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0427.JPG
Views:	1180
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	1291442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0428.JPG
Views:	940
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	1291443   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1291447   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0432.JPG
Views:	1008
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1291448  

Name:	IMG_0434.JPG
Views:	860
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1291449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0435.JPG
Views:	807
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1291450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0430.JPG
Views:	798
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	1291451   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0437.JPG
Views:	1011
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	1291452   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0442.JPG
Views:	930
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	1291453  

[PHONE] HTC One
[ROM] InsertCoin 2.5.0

[TABLET] Nexus 7 (2013)
[ROM] Stock JB 4.4.2

taob
Old
Thanks Meter 92
I'd definitely be in for one if he could make one that can accommodate the Mugen extended battery cover.
The Following User Says Thank You to taob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BlackZenith
Old
(Last edited by BlackZenith; 8th August 2012 at 01:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 61
I'd be all over this but it doesn't work if you use a case...
Note 3 + Gear 2
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackZenith For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gorillaz1
Old
Thanks Meter 85
If we get this, should we be getting the wired version or can we do it wireless?

BlackZenith
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Wireless works w/ the "Sixaxis Controller" app.
Note 3 + Gear 2

taob
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Yep, confirmed that the original PS3 Sixaxis as well as the DualShock work very well using the Sixaxis Controller app. Well worth the $2. I'm ten times better at "Dead Trigger" now than I was before.

BlackZenith
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Default GameKlip mod

I just emailed GameKlip and requested a GNote Klip w/o the side holders (leaving the bottom ones intact). IMO this would be the first step to a universal solution since you could (in theory) glue/velcro a phone case to the back... I'd pay for this. If GK won't do this I might buy it as is anyway and file the side holders down... Anyone see any pitfalls to this solution?
Note 3 + Gear 2
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackZenith For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

borgib
Old
Thanks Meter 70
I'm in for one with the cable. I will let you guys know if the cable actually works or not, but I figured I could save some battery by keeping bluetooth off. That is if it works.

pTeronaut
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillaz1 View Post
If we get this, should we be getting the wired version or can we do it wireless?
  • You need root for wireless.
  • The wired option is an OTG cable, and a USB -> Mini USB cable which is pre-zipped tied for neatness.
Even tho' I am rooted, for me, the wired version is worth the extra $8.
[This space for rent]

Themajesticking
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I thought I came up with an awesome invention when I thought of this last week. Somebody beat me to it. lol
-Chris

Samsung Galaxy Note III (N900A)
AT&T