Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,758 Members 46,392 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is the Nexus 7's hardware junk?

Tip us?

peestandingup
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default Is the Nexus 7's hardware junk?

Because I've been through 2 of them in a week & they both had significant issues. The first one had 3 stuck pixels right outta the box, and the last one had this weird scrolling issue. Come to think of it they both might have had it (I only kept the first one for a day). Anyways, it seemed like scrolling through apps & webpages was always a chore. Like the screen was "fighting" against me, hiccuping & just wasn't smooth.

And to be honest, I also wasn't crazy about the overall screen quality. It doesn't seem bright enough, colors don't "pop" & is very dull/washed out looking. And I've been reading all the issues on here lately (including the ones I experienced) & it seems like quite a bit of quality issues overall (including the screen itself coming undone).

Anyways, I know my problem wasn't software related. I have Jelly Bean on my Galaxy Nexus & its AWESOME. So I'm wondering if the hardware is just crappy overall? I get that its a $200 tablet, but still. Something tells me Google should have went with Samsung as the maker. Or used their newly acquired Motorola partnership.

I don't think I'll be buying another one. Which sucks because I really wanted to love it.

nyijedi
Old
Thanks Meter 241
This is par for the course with Asus devices. Piss poor quality control.

With that said, the software more than makes up for it in my book.

regalpimpin
Old
Thanks Meter 206
A Motorola would be ugly and a Samsung would have more issues.

Like all devices, the first run isn't usually the best. Most have already been corrected. Good job Asus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to regalpimpin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bigjim1488
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyijedi View Post
This is par for the course with Asus devices. Piss poor quality control.

With that said, the software more than makes up for it in my book.
Lol how does software make up for screen separation? Unless my screen gets glued back together with jelly beans I am SOL

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Give Dropbox a try for easy file sharing. Use my referral link and help me get more space! http://db.tt/6qeoiYa

The Following User Says Thank You to Bigjim1488 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nyijedi
Old
Thanks Meter 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim1488 View Post
Lol how does software make up for screen separation? Unless my screen gets glued back together with jelly beans I am SOL

Screen separation was actually my primary problem. I put in some shims and added some super glue, and now it's solid on the left side for me. So yes, in my case, the awesome software makes up for this design flaw which I was able to correct.

chlehqls
Old
Thanks Meter 357

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by regalpimpin View Post
A Motorola would be ugly and a Samsung would have more issues.

Like all devices, the first run isn't usually the best. Most have already been corrected. Good job Asus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
Hardware wise, there isn't anything particularly bad about Samsung products in recent releases of their phones. They did have GPS issues before on the SGS2s but that has been long fixed. The only thing that I can see is the SAMOLED HD screens being grainy or yellow but I haven't had any issues at all with my GS2 and my Galaxy Nexus.

Samsung's quality control is usually very, very good.
[Retired Devices: LG LX370, EVO 3D, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Nexus]

Current Device: Nexus 4, Samsung Chromebook
Android Version: 4.2.2
ROM: Stock
Kernel: Stock or Faux's

Click HERE for 2GB of free DropBox storage plus we get more storage!

Bigjim1488
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyijedi View Post
Screen separation was actually my primary problem. I put in some shims and added some super glue, and now it's solid on the left side for me. So yes, in my case, the awesome software makes up for this design flaw which I was able to correct.
Did you use glue to fix the screen flicker as well?

Give Dropbox a try for easy file sharing. Use my referral link and help me get more space! http://db.tt/6qeoiYa

Logan_M
Old
Thanks Meter 27
I've had no hardware problems at all, the build quality feels really nice, and more expensive than it is.

peestandingup
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Did anyone ever figure out what was up with the scrolling inertia being so finicky?? That one seems like it may actually be a software thing. I wonder if another ROM would fix it??

But it bugged the crap outta me right off. Seemed like you had to swipe your thumb a dozen times to get to the bottom of a webpage.

nyijedi
Old
Thanks Meter 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim1488 View Post
Did you use glue to fix the screen flicker as well?

Never had the screen flicker. Guess I lucked out there.