Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,296 Members 52,274 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 7 not recognised when connected via USB

Tip us?

danox82
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Storage Nexus 7 not recognised when connected via USB

Hi everyone,

My Nexus 7 at present isn't getting recognised when connected to a PC via USB. This was working the other week (the drivers were installed the first time I connected it via USB), but now when I connect it to a PC via USB the device isn't recognised by the PC.

I have tried this on multiple PC's and the same thing happens on all of them, so it must be something with the Nexus 7 that is causing the problem.

If I go into Device Manager on any of the PC's, with the Nexus 7 connected via USB it doesn't appear anywhere, so I can't go down the route of even updating the USB drivers as suggested for some similar issues on other threads.

I have even installed the Android SDK and installed the Windows USB driver package, but that hasn't done the trick either.

I have also tried installing the Microsoft MTP porting kit, but again this made no difference and the same can be said by switching between MTP and PTP mode and neither have made a difference. I don't have USB debugging enabled, enabling it doesn't make a difference either.

I can connect my Nexus S phone via USB without issue to any of the PC's I've tested the Nexus 7 on, which further backs my thinking of the issue being with the Nexus 7.

I'm running out of ideas, so thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone has any other suggestions before I do a factory reset on the Nexus 7.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danox82 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

danox82
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Further to this I have done a factory reset, which has made no difference.

Any ideas other than going back to Google or Asus?

HKSpeed
Old
Thanks Meter 127
my N7 has trouble being recognized by different PCs. it is hit and miss. will your N7 charge when it's connected to a PC that doesn't recognize it? my N7 does not show the charging symbol on screen, but the battery percentage increases over time.

Shrink
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Also try a different cable just in case.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

danox82
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSpeed View Post
my N7 has trouble being recognized by different PCs. it is hit and miss. will your N7 charge when it's connected to a PC that doesn't recognize it? my N7 does not show the charging symbol on screen, but the battery percentage increases over time.
The N7 shows as charging when the USB cable is connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Also try a different cable just in case.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
I've tried different cables, which makes no difference.

It's looking like a hardware fault of some sort as a factory reset made no difference. Think I will have no option to go back to Google/Asus

marky9074
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by danox82 View Post
The N7 shows as charging when the USB cable is connected.

I've tried different cables, which makes no difference.

It's looking like a hardware fault of some sort as a factory reset made no difference. Think I will have no option to go back to Google/Asus
Try connecting it as a PTP device rather than MTP.. (that sometimes works for me when I am trying to force it to pick up the ADB device and install driver etc). If it detects it as PTP change it back (to MTP), and hopefully it will be OK.
Ubuntu is an African word meaning, "Slackware is too hard." ...
The Following User Says Thank You to marky9074 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

danox82
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by marky9074 View Post
Try connecting it as a PTP device rather than MTP.. (that sometimes works for me when I am trying to force it to pick up the ADB device and install driver etc). If it detects it as PTP change it back (to MTP), and hopefully it will be OK.
I had already tried that, makes no difference unfortunately.
The Following User Says Thank You to danox82 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rasputin1234
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Talking I had the same problem.

I knew it was driver issue but where to find the driver?? Looked on Asus' site and apparently the Nexus 7 is the Asus unwanted step-child. Not a mention of it there.

After a lot of looking and a lot of cursing,I found the answer! (It was the cursing that helped!) Install Windows Media Player v13. The needed driver is included. After a reboot, I was able to see the Nexus 7 on my PC and (more importantly) able to transfer files to it!
The Following User Says Thank You to rasputin1234 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

doozynas
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Talking What happened

I have had the same problem with it not connecting. My n7 does charge when I plug it in but does not show up in my computer when i plug it in via usb. I have tried switching it to PTP mode but it does not find the device for what I'm doing(unlocking boot loader for my nexus 7) I hope someone can help greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputin1234 View Post
I knew it was driver issue but where to find the driver?? Looked on Asus' site and apparently the Nexus 7 is the Asus unwanted step-child. Not a mention of it there.

After a lot of looking and a lot of cursing,I found the answer! (It was the cursing that helped!) Install Windows Media Player v13. The needed driver is included. After a reboot, I was able to see the Nexus 7 on my PC and (more importantly) able to transfer files to it!
Hi, my computer came with Windows Media Player on it. It does not specify the version. I cannot find Windows Media Player v13 anywhere. Would someone please provide a link if possible. Thank You So Much!

dkhilo
Old
(Last edited by dkhilo; 12th September 2012 at 01:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 6
Default USB Connection To PC Not Detected

Having the same issue here. These two guys as well http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=usb+connected Did you also use a car charger? Don't know when it happened for me, but sometime between it last working and testing car chargers it stopped working. Same thing for me as one of the posters says, USB-OTG works, so I would think it's not a physical issue, but how to reset it. Dunno, Any help would be appreciated.

ADB, Fastboot, or USB Connected device in Windows does not work. Computer doesn't even detect, no USB connect sound.

UPDATE:
Installed Glazed Jellybean v.1.1.2 thinking it might clearup the issues with detection of USB and presenting it to the PC. Still same results, USB data connectivity is missing somehow. Just might be some sort of physical damage. Kernel was updated as well to Linaro Motley Kernel v1.1.1.

Help!