[GUIDE][KANG] Android Boot-From-SD w/ GAPPs and Play Store

Search This thread

kbeezie

Feb 23, 2010
Grand Rapids, Mi
karlblessing.com
This is a re-pack based on Catherall's own guide here: [GUIDE] Booting an Android System when only Recovery is at your disposal

The main difference from his copy (cyanogenmod 7.1):

- Google Apps (20110828) applied
- Updated to latest Google Play Store (3.7.15)
- update.zip modified to work on 4EXT Touch Recovery (ui disable)

Tested so far off of 4EXT Touch Recovery 1.0.0.5 RC5

What doesn't work and probably will never work unless someone makes new kernel modules for 2.6.35.10 (ie: the .ko files can be placed in the BootManager folder, and then have the init.d scripts edited to load those modules, but thus far none of them have worked for me because they were not built for that exact kernel, I don't know how to compile modules etc).

- Wifi [won't turn on]
- Bluetooth [won't turn on]
- everything else he mentioned in his first post regarding adb/etc

Made this as a new thread because his is quite stale, and catherall hasn't been seen in like forever. And kind of hoping that with the new progress maybe someone will take the time to write up some new gingerbread drivers for this purpose.

If I had the knowledge I would have ported an extremely lightweight Gingerbread Rom to it to be used as sort of a 'emergency-droid' rom, and recompiled kernel modules so that wifi/etc would work.

Instructions

Download the zip, unpack, copy BootManager and update.zip [zip can be renamed] to the SD card. Boot into recovery mode, run the update.zip to start up CyanogenMod 7.1 form the SD Card. (The original README is in the zip)

When you're in for the first time you'll notice the usual Google Apps setup screen, but it'll be in german. To change the language:

Press "Setup abschliben"
Press "Sprache ändern", select appropriate language
Continue the Google Apps setup as usual

It is advised that you do not allow it to automatically let it restore/install your apps as there will be no wifi connectivity and would be done over your data connectivity.

Download Boot_From_SD_wPlay.zip (~135MB)

md5sum : a352017b37bb546ffe0327bbe78304fe

Video from when I was first playing with it (after I put the 4EXT code in, but before I added gapps).

Last edited:

fr3akBut

Dec 24, 2010
Loughborough
Is it possible to adjust the size of the internal storage? Make it 1g or larger?
Please tell me how if its possible...

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Vision

You should be able to modify the the image sizes with BootManager (from the market).... as the free version doesn't see 'Rom8' (which this is mounted), you would have to copy the contents of BootManager/Rom8 to BootManager/Rom1, adjust the image size to 1gb or whatever you wanted... then boot to cwm/4ext mount usb, and use your pc to copy the contents of Rom1 to Rom8 (keep a copy of the original Rom8 somewhere as a backup if it fails)

Never tried it, but it works in my head! :)

Hope it helps.

00sand00

Dec 18, 2007
I use
fastboot boot boot.img
from cmd and after that wifi works and bluetooth works in case anyone is interested

kbeezie

Feb 23, 2010
Grand Rapids, Mi
karlblessing.com
Is there anyway to make this permanent so that every time i turn on or reboot the phone, it boots from SD card ?

This is unlikely without also writing some kind of bootloader on the internal memory to launch from the SD... which of course would require that the internal memory were not in some way damaged. So kind of a catch-22 to what you're asking. Shouldn't be using SD booting as a permanent solution, it's more like a way of still being able to do *some* things while you work out on getting the phone replaced.

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
And here I thought you and all your work was gone, nice to see ya around kbeezie!

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a re-pack based on Catherall's own guide here: [GUIDE] Booting an Android System when only Recovery is at your disposal

The main difference from his copy (cyanogenmod 7.1):

- Google Apps (20110828) applied
    - Updated to latest Google Play Store (3.7.15)
    - update.zip modified to work on 4EXT Touch Recovery (ui disable)

Tested so far off of 4EXT Touch Recovery 1.0.0.5 RC5

What doesn't work and probably will never work unless someone makes new kernel modules for 2.6.35.10 (ie: the .ko files can be placed in the BootManager folder, and then have the init.d scripts edited to load those modules, but thus far none of them have worked for me because they were not built for that exact kernel, I don't know how to compile modules etc).

- Wifi [won't turn on]
    - Bluetooth [won't turn on]
    - everything else he mentioned in his first post regarding adb/etc

Made this as a new thread because his is quite stale, and catherall hasn't been seen in like forever. And kind of hoping that with the new progress maybe someone will take the time to write up some new gingerbread drivers for this purpose.

If I had the knowledge I would have ported an extremely lightweight Gingerbread Rom to it to be used as sort of a 'emergency-droid' rom, and recompiled kernel modules so that wifi/etc would work.

Instructions

Download the zip, unpack, copy BootManager and update.zip [zip can be renamed] to the SD card. Boot into recovery mode, run the update.zip to start up CyanogenMod 7.1 form the SD Card. (The original README is in the zip)

When you're in for the first time you'll notice the usual Google Apps setup screen, but it'll be in german. To change the language:

Press "Setup abschliben"
    Press "Sprache ändern", select appropriate language
    Continue the Google Apps setup as usual

It is advised that you do not allow it to automatically let it restore/install your apps as there will be no wifi connectivity and would be done over your data connectivity.

Download Boot_From_SD_wPlay.zip (~135MB)

md5sum : a352017b37bb546ffe0327bbe78304fe

Video from when I was first playing with it (after I put the 4EXT code in, but before I added gapps).

aaaaand another service from Kbeezie... you just can't stop can you? :D

thanks!