[APP] ClipSync: easiest way to copy paste text between devices.

Search This thread

pwkip

Aug 4, 2012
Gent
I noticed there are some questions on this forum that relate to copying text between phones and PC's.

I'm an independent developer and have written a free app that does just that. It runs as a service on both windows and android. It works over LAN. And it allows you to do 2 things:

1. You can copy text from android to your PC by simply copying some text in android (Long press -> copy) and then pasting it in Windows (CTRL+V or right click -> paste)

2. You can copy text from PC to android by simply copying some text in Windows (CTRL+C or right click -> copy) and then pasting it in Android (long press -> paste)

It's really that simple. Here's a quick demonstration of me showing you how it works:

Wondering why you would need this?

Have you ever wanted to copy paste a URL from your android device to your PC to look at it on a bigger screen? Ever wanted to send a text message by typing it on your PC? Ever looked up a route description on your computer and realize you had to type in the exact same address in your GPS client? Did you ever e-mail yourself because you needed some text on another device?

No? Well then you probably don't need it at all. Sorry to have wasted your time :)

If you do think the app is useful you can get it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=be.bdwm.clipsync
The Windows server is available at http://bdwm.be/cs

Hope you like it.

- Jules

Northernmost

Mar 2, 2006
Lerwick
Mutiple network addresses

Works a treat! Very simple to set up and use.

One wee problem I encountered though: where I'm at just now my PC has multiple network connections open: LAN and VPN. When the ClipSync server started up it was listening to the VPN address which ison an entirely different subnet to the LAN connection. So my Nexus, which was connected on the LAN subnet, couldn't find the server. When I disabled the VPN connection the server switched over automagically :) to listen on the LAN address and was found straight away by the Android app. A way to specify which IP address the server listens on would be great in this instance.

Another concern is using this in a multi-android environment e.g. at work the standard issue phone is a Galaxy Nexus so there's quite a few conected to the LAN at any one time. What's to stop someone installing the app and connecting to another users ClipSync server and getting / setting the contents of their clipboard? I'm being picky I know, but it's something I had to work around when writing a webOS app many moons ago that would use mDNS to broadcast stuff across a network. Setting a PIN on each client and using that to encrypt / decrypt broadcasts was where I ended up for that FWIW.

Also, if the server restarts, clients don't reconnect until you go into the app and manually reconnect.

I've just tried copying something on my Nexus 7 and it synced, not only to the server, but to my GNex as well :) Shutting down the server, unsurprisingly, stopped that particular magic from happening *sadpanda*. A feature request would most certainly be to allow clients to sync with each other without the need for a server to be running at all. You hate me, I know ;) I've no idea what the mDNS capabilities of Android are but that would be one way of doing it.

All that said, this is a fantastic start to something extremely useful! So thank you very much for making the magic happen :good: and apologies for the rather rambling post ;)

Reactions: pwkip

pwkip

Aug 4, 2012
Gent
Northernmost, thank you for this post. Seems like you have really thoroughly tested the app. I really appreciate that. I'm aware of most of the issues you mentioned and I have just moved them up in my TODO list. Will be working on it this weekend and next week.

One thing I wasn't aware of yet was the problem that your PC can indeed have multiple IP-addresses.
This will be solved in the next version of ClipSync Server. Thanks again for your great feedback and your support ;)

Northernmost

Mar 2, 2006
Lerwick
I wouldn't say I've thoroughly tested it... but I have been playing with it some more. Namely, I've been aiming at having the server program running on my home server (with a static IP so it's easy to find) and the clients connecting to it. Then having assorted desktops and servers sync their clipboards to the ClipSync server. The aim is to have all my devices keeping their clipboards in sync.

After forwarding the right port I could connect and sync clipboards between Android devices over any net connection rather than just a LAN one :) But the connection gets lost quite often (which is probably down to connectivity issues rather than the app itself) and you have to reconnect each device manually... which will get old real quick. Again, not the fault of ClipSync!
Then, using a program called Copycat to sync clipboards between various PCs (including the master ClipSync server) you end up with everything sharing the same clipboard automatically! Huzzah. Or that's what should be happening... but it looks like Copycat can get itself in a muddle and play clipboard changing loop-de-loop. There's a few other network clipboard syncing programs out there to try yet so hopefully I'll get that all ticking along nicely. Anyway, I'm rambling (again) :silly: but looking forward to where this all goes!

Whitecookie

Sep 7, 2010
GREAT!!!

Just some days ago, i thought, that it would be a great feature, if i could copy and paste between my PC and my Phone.

slugger7

Mar 15, 2011
Johannesburg
I noticed there are some questions on this forum that relate to copying text between phones and PC's.

I'm an independent developer and have written a free app that does just that. It runs as a service on both windows and android. It works over LAN. And it allows you to do 2 things:

1. You can copy text from android to your PC by simply copying some text in android (Long press -> copy) and then pasting it in Windows (CTRL+V or right click -> paste)

2. You can copy text from PC to android by simply copying some text in Windows (CTRL+C or right click -> copy) and then pasting it in Android (long press -> paste)

It's really that simple. Here's a quick demonstration of me showing you how it works:

Have you ever wanted to copy paste a URL from your android device to your PC to look at it on a bigger screen? Ever wanted to send a text message by typing it on your PC? Ever looked up a route description on your computer and realize you had to type in the exact same address in your GPS client? Did you ever e-mail yourself because you needed some text on another device?

No? Well then you probably don't need it at all. Sorry to have wasted your time :)

If you do think the app is useful you can get it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=be.bdwm.clipsync

Hope you like it.

- Jules

I Used evernot to create a note to send it to my computers web browser this should make life soo much easier

Jackos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 26, 2008
Warsaw
leidel.pl
OnePlus Open
Hello,

I'd like to report a problem.

On my Win8 Enterprise RTM OS the desktop application crashes as soon as I connect.

If you need more information or debug data, I'd be glad to provide you as much as I'd be able to collect.

soulaiman

Oct 30, 2009
Ghent
Hey well done. This is a simple and handy app that should have been integrated in Android frol the begining. Of you can patent the technology vecause I'm sure Apple will include this feature in a future release of iOS and call it revolutionary :p

Microsoft should at least have done this in Wubdows Phone since it runs on the same kernel.

Btw mooi dat iemand van Gent in het nieuws komt haha !

AshleyT

Oct 26, 2011
Salerno
Hello,

On my Win8 Enterprise RTM OS the desktop application crashes as soon as I connect.

If you need more information or debug data, I'd be glad to provide you as much as I'd be able to collect.

Same on Windows 8 Professional RTM!
The application crashes and the phone application can't find it.

pwkip

Aug 4, 2012
Gent
Hello,

Thanks for reporting this. I have installed windows 8 RP today and had the same problem. I think it's solved now. I've updated ClipSync Server on website. Go and get it :)

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member
Reactions: pwkip

pwkip

Aug 4, 2012
Gent
any plans for a linux or osx version?
There's a Java version coming up. I might need some Mac and Linux testers cause both my netbook and laptop have 3 different versions of windows running for the moment, and no way I'm going to buy me a Mac :)
If you are interested in testing a beta jar on Linux or OSX, please e-mail me and I will send it to you.

Reactions: moocow1452

Jackos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 26, 2008
Warsaw
leidel.pl
OnePlus Open
Some more feedback:

1. The app could use a tray icon on the Android
  2. Missing security settings, how can I know that another computer/phone doesn't use ClipSync in my network?

Last edited:

NamenIos

Nov 26, 2010
Sony Xperia Z
HTC EVO 3D
That seems like a very nice tool. Some nice features would be:
  • A manual sync mode. You (double/right/don't know) click on the tray icon and you send or receive the clipboard. The same on the phone, maybe the actionable notifications on jb also works with tray icons.
  • A keyboard extension. You open a tool and use your computer keyboard to type on your phone, like a bt keyboard.

omar.abbas

Apr 20, 2011
Islamabad
Amazing!

The best app on the planet period!:good::laugh: exactly what i was looking for but never thought it could be that easy or even possible.. cheers!

djorke

May 19, 2008
Nis, Serbia
congrats!

Great app! I was searching a lot for a such solution and I have found it in Airdroid and get used to it. Will see if ClipSync could convert me.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hope you like it.

- Jules
    Like what I'm searching for a long a long time

Thank you so so much
    Mutiple network addresses

Works a treat! Very simple to set up and use.

One wee problem I encountered though: where I'm at just now my PC has multiple network connections open: LAN and VPN. When the ClipSync server started up it was listening to the VPN address which ison an entirely different subnet to the LAN connection. So my Nexus, which was connected on the LAN subnet, couldn't find the server. When I disabled the VPN connection the server switched over automagically :) to listen on the LAN address and was found straight away by the Android app. A way to specify which IP address the server listens on would be great in this instance.

Another concern is using this in a multi-android environment e.g. at work the standard issue phone is a Galaxy Nexus so there's quite a few conected to the LAN at any one time. What's to stop someone installing the app and connecting to another users ClipSync server and getting / setting the contents of their clipboard? I'm being picky I know, but it's something I had to work around when writing a webOS app many moons ago that would use mDNS to broadcast stuff across a network. Setting a PIN on each client and using that to encrypt / decrypt broadcasts was where I ended up for that FWIW.

Also, if the server restarts, clients don't reconnect until you go into the app and manually reconnect.

I've just tried copying something on my Nexus 7 and it synced, not only to the server, but to my GNex as well :) Shutting down the server, unsurprisingly, stopped that particular magic from happening *sadpanda*. A feature request would most certainly be to allow clients to sync with each other without the need for a server to be running at all. You hate me, I know ;) I've no idea what the mDNS capabilities of Android are but that would be one way of doing it.

All that said, this is a fantastic start to something extremely useful! So thank you very much for making the magic happen :good: and apologies for the rather rambling post ;)
    Thanks for reporting this. I have installed windows 8 RP today and had the same problem. I think it's solved now. I've updated ClipSync Server on website. Go and get it :)

Not sure if you noticed, but you got coverage on the portal ;)

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/copy-and-paste-text-between-devices-with-clipsync/
    any plans for a linux or osx version?
    There's a Java version coming up. I might need some Mac and Linux testers cause both my netbook and laptop have 3 different versions of windows running for the moment, and no way I'm going to buy me a Mac :)
    If you are interested in testing a beta jar on Linux or OSX, please e-mail me and I will send it to you.