Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,661 Members 44,896 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[OTG USB] Using OTG cable and charging at the same time - SOLVED 29.08.12

Tip us?

sonic_boom
Old
(Last edited by sonic_boom; 30th August 2012 at 07:57 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Plug [OTG USB] Using OTG cable and charging at the same time - SOLVED 29.08.12

UPDATE 30/08/2012

For "daily" updates, tutorials more videos visit my website

https://sites.google.com/site/sonicboomworld

Added more diagrams and pictures on my website --> https://sites.google.com/site/sonicb...s/otg-diagrams
Don't forget to check NEWS as well : --> https://sites.google.com/site/sonicboomworld/

OLD POST - HOW I STARTED

Firstly hi all

Secondly i want describe myself as a person who has only little knowledge about electronics etc. Also i am very busy at work and at home after work with kids, so to be honest with you i can test it only while i am actually working ( i do Testing and servicing medical devices )

At this moment i can't "afford" to buy SONY ERICSSON LIVEdock ( OTG MODE + CHARGING AT THE SAME TIME )

I just want to share my progress in making cheaper verision of LIVEdock, also i looking fore some smart arse to help me/us finish what i started,

I know this is little bit messy and don't kill me for my english please

Diagram:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0076.jpg
Views:	5494
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	1249968

I made simple OTG CABLE with permanently shorted PIN 4 (sense) AND 5 (ground) on my microUSB. The i realized that phone battery must support power for phone and connected USB device such as keyboard, mouse, gamepad etc. Then i added ON/OFF switch between PIN 4 and 5 what i achieved ?

Name:	DSC_0080.jpg
Views:	3606
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	1249954

Now i can switch between OTG MODE and CHARGING MODE ( unfortunately both modes wouldn't work at the same time ). Then i added another two ON/OFF switches to cut off the power from the battery VCC (red wire) and GROUND (black) while you are in OTG MODE. I added another USB cable ( this one suply power from computer or charger or car charger ) but i used VCC and GROUND only i connected these wires to each switches and FEMALE USB ( one you connect keyboard ,gamepad etc ). What i achieved ? now Battery support only my phone but phone is still in OTG mode, and whole power goes to our device ( Keyboard, USB flash memory etc ) .

Name:	DSC_0077.jpg
Views:	3626
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	1249960Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0078.jpg
Views:	2939
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	1249961Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0079.jpg
Views:	2886
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	1249962Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0081.jpg
Views:	2456
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	1249963

Now we know how to get external power source to our external device , but i still haven't find an solution how to get phone in charging mode or to do anything to prevent phone from discharging while we are in OTG MODE . I know that SONY instead of so many switches used just some simple electronics components. Also i still haven't try everything but if you have any idea please let me know.

Later on i will upload Video on YouTube ( HOW IT WORKS )

Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SONY XPERIA S TELESCOPE ADAPTER (YouTube)
OTG MODE AND CHARGING AT THE SAME TIME (YouTube)
SONY ERICSSON XPERIA PLAY VS SONY XPERIA S AUDIO QUALITY PLAYBACK (YouTube)

--->>> MY WEBSITE
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sonic_boom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sonic_boom
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
Default SUCCESS

BTW i got this working !!! ( USING HUB WITH 4X USB PORTS )

OTG AND CHARGING AT THE SAME TIME !!! should work for any device with OTG SUPPORT so far i can post screen shoot only , more details later on if you interesting...

Name:	Screenshot_2012-08-16-20-05-15.jpg
Views:	5621
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1264716

regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--->>> MY WEBSITE
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sonic_boom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

memphian
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_boom View Post

OTG AND CHARGING AT THE SAME TIME !!! should work for any device with OTG SUPPORT so far i can post screen shoot only , more details later on if you interesting...

Attachment 1264716

regards
This sounds awesome. Looking to do something like this with a nexus 7 in my vehicle. Looking forward to this.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

mvmacd
Old
Thanks Meter 116
Quote:

Attachment 1264716

regards
Please do tell. Are you pretty sure it'll work for any OTG device? Regardless of its hardware. Specifically the nexus 7.
Current devices | Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 (2013),

Previous devices | HTC Evo 4G LTE, Nexus 10, HTC Rezound, Nexus 7, Samsung Fascinate

sonic_boom
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
I hope will work for all devices . Successfuly tested on my Xperia S. I will test soon on Galaxy S2 and S3. Also I completely redesign everything. Forget about first post and crappy switches. I made docking station for my phone I just have to finish my it. I want to add some LED. Is all about right cables and resistors in right place. I think this should also work on simple Y cable.

Give me some time to get everything ready. I have two kids a home plus looking for new house plus I am working. But I will post instruction here soon

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app

--->>> MY WEBSITE
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sonic_boom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GregórioAxiaMagno
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
I hope will work for all devices . Successfuly tested on my Xperia S. I will test soon on Galaxy S2 and S3. Also I completely redesign everything. Forget about first post and crappy switches. I made docking station for my phone I just have to finish my it. I want to add some LED. Is all about right cables and resistors in right place. I think this should also work on simple Y cable.

Give me some time to get everything ready. I have two kids a home plus looking for new house plus I am working. But I will post instruction here soon

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app
Interesting indeed.
Take you time. And you have the xda support, because this is something that we want also.
Thanks for the research and effort.

§[ Check my Bluetooth kit to HID devices

>> ST15i - Xperia Mini <<
JB CyanogenMod 10 - With CM10/FXP extended kernel

>> MZ607 - Motorola Xoom 2 ME with WiFi <<
Stock ICS 4.0.4 Rooted

sonic_boom
Old
(Last edited by sonic_boom; 17th August 2012 at 06:39 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76
At this moment i can post some pictures with my crappy beta most ugly dock - but was design for testing only and i have done already so many transformations . Most important

OTG and CHARGING working at the same time !!

Name:	CIMG8683.jpg
Views:	3141
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	1266471

Name:	CIMG8684.jpg
Views:	1892
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	1266472

On the photos you can see LED ON , USB STORAGE CONNECTED NOTIFICATION and MOUSE CURSOR !

I connected same time :

- 8GB USB MEMORY STICK
- WIRED MOUSE
- WIRED KEYBOARD
- USB WITH POWER SUPPLY FOR MY SPEAKERS ( then i connected jack for AUDIO )
- and phone CHARGING SAME TIME

at work also i connected HUB - 1 USB ( WIRELESS MOUSE AND KEYBOARD ) - WORKING PERFECT !

Before i will post any information HOW TO GET THIS DONE i will post video on YOUTUBE - i should have video before MIDNIGHT ( current time 6:22 PM)

VERY IMPORTANT !!! ( i connected GALAXY SIII - unfortunately not working at all - but dont worry - in 99% i know where seems to be the problem)

Regards

--->>> MY WEBSITE
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sonic_boom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GregórioAxiaMagno
Old
(Last edited by GregórioAxiaMagno; 21st August 2012 at 08:23 PM.)
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
At this moment i can post some pictures with my crappy beta most ugly dock - but was design for testing only and i have done already so many transformations . Most important

OTG and CHARGING working at the same time !!
Dude! I must say: congratulations, and the beta dock is more beautiful than my wooden dock, homemade also hahahaha. I'm excited to see how is the modification to earn charge and OTG function. I wanna try also and share my tests!

Stock ICS 4.0.4 Rooted

sonic_boom
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 76

--->>> MY WEBSITE

GregórioAxiaMagno
Old
(Last edited by GregórioAxiaMagno; 22nd August 2012 at 01:19 AM.) Reason: Anxiety xP
Thanks Meter 64
Very nice and cool .

I'm too curious...
I drew some scheme, is just what I'm wondering about what you did, and how can I do, or even you can use these pics when you explain .

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	usb2.jpg
Views:	4309
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1273887  

Stock ICS 4.0.4 Rooted