[App] Around Sound - Have your phone listen for you while you enjoy music or movies
This was my first app and recently just overhauled it with a lot of the updates I had been doing to Wave Control. I've gotten great feedback from XDA members on Wave Control, so I'd like to see what you all think of this one.
Update (10/11/2012): Half of proceeds from app sales from October will be donated to Breast Cancer Research
More Info Here
Around Sound allows you to listen to music, watch movies, or play games and still be aware of your surroundings. It's meant for when you're using sound isolating earbuds like Shure or others that are basically earplugs so you have no idea what's going on around you.
It uses the mic on your headset or phone to listen around you. You set how loud a noise needs to be to trigger it. When a loud sound is detected, it pauses your music or movie for a timeout period. During this time, it feeds the outside sound through to your headphones so you can hear what's going on. After the timeout period it then resumes playback.
With games, you can use the non-pause mode which will overlay the outside sounds on top of the current audio. Usually the game audio will lower itself during this time. I would really like for games to support the pause feature. I've reached out to some developers but need everyone's help to request the feature be added to their favorite games.
Play Store Links:
Some known issues:
1. Audio lag - when the outside sound is fed through there's about a 500ms delay. It's a known issue with Android. It's rumored to have been fixed in Jelly Bean (or there's some low level API's available to fix it) but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.
2. Bluetooth Mic Option - Currently only works with mono headsets and not the AD2P kind
Some use cases:
- At the office: pause your music automatically when someone is trying to get your attention
- At home: Don't miss door slams, children crying, your dog barking, or other warning signs
- At the airport: Relax at the gate and have your music or movie pause when the gate announcements start
- Anywhere relatively quiet where you want to know if something happens around you
Network Communications: Full Internet Access (For Ad Supported Version)
Phone Calls: Read Phone status (shuts off the audio processing during calls)
Hardware Controls: Audio Settings, Record Audio (to use the microphone, no audio is ever stored)
Coarse Location(Not GPS): For Ad Supported Version
Write External Storage: For Ad Supported Version
Billing: For in app upgrades
Bluetooth: For Bluetooth mic feature
Broadcast Sticky: For Bluetooth mic feature
-Needs Froyo or Above (Android version 2.2+)
-For Pause Music Mode: You can't be in a really loud environment otherwise the microphone input will be maxed out and there is no way to detect a louder sound. Use Street Mode instead
Timeout period Adjustment
Volume control of mic feed during timeout
Developed on a Samsung Galaxy SIII
Check out all my apps:
- Control Your Phone Without Touching It
- Enjoy Your Music While Your Phone Pays Attention for You
- Have Your Phone Listen for Your Snoring
- Keep the Notification LED Off While You Sleep
Flip Case Control
- Auto Screen On/Off for the Flip Case on SGSIII, Note, Note II
NEW: Wave MultiTasker
- Multitask with a Wave