Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,823 Members 52,715 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[PORT] [TOOL] Carliv Touch Recovery for MediaTek devices

Tip us?

breaky9973
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Default re-packing error

Now I am doing this on Xubuntu so maybe that's why it doesn't work:

I get the following when trying to repack:

MTK-Tools by Bruno Martins
MT65xx repack script (last update: 31-07-2012)

Repacking recovery image...
Ramdisk size: gzip: unpack/ramdisk-repack.cpio.gz: No such file or directory
Could not open ramdisk file: ramdisk-repack.cpio.gz

Any ideas?

Unpacking is no problem.

yuweng
Old
(Last edited by yuweng; 12th September 2012 at 07:53 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2210
This Android Kitchen plugins only work with cygwin...

Even unpacking shouldn't have work because mkbootimg & 7z is windows exe...

i'm in the mid of modding it so that it can work on linux too...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yuweng For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

breaky9973
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Thanks for your reply yuweng. 7z is available as a plugin for Ubuntu too.

In the mean time I will try another website which I already posted a link before.

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/3245...y-using-linux/

jason_cheng
Old
(Last edited by jason_cheng; 13th September 2012 at 11:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaky9973 View Post
Now I am doing this on Xubuntu so maybe that's why it doesn't work:

I get the following when trying to repack:

MTK-Tools by Bruno Martins
MT65xx repack script (last update: 31-07-2012)

Repacking recovery image...
Ramdisk size: gzip: unpack/ramdisk-repack.cpio.gz: No such file or directory
Could not open ramdisk file: ramdisk-repack.cpio.gz

Any ideas?

Unpacking is no problem.
It will work on any GNU/Linux as long as you have the proper tools installed. Almost all tutorials for Android "modding" are Cygwin-based, which basically emulates a GNU system on Windows (so you can skip all parts about "setting up" anything). Here your file does not exist, please double-check that it does. This is a perl script which utilizes gzip, gunzip, and cpio. Make sure these are available as well.

Btw, this is independent of Android Kitchen. You don't need that if you're using the builder. Android Kitchen is just a front-end to modifying ROMs. So skip the Kitchen for now and do this manually.

Again, the "another website" you link to is about backing up real filesystems (which the boot and recovery partitions are not). See: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1744265&page=2

yuweng: What benefit does using the Android Kitchen have over simply using the builder? All you need is a rebuilt /sbin/recovery along with the resources in /res, and optionally an ext2.ko if it does not exist on the phone itself.

yuweng
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2210
This is just a simple tool for n00b/ newbie...

i was a n00b six months ago & even now my android knowledge is still half empty...

As the first post says, there are hundreds if not thousands of android phone based on MT6573 SoC design, each with their own recovery.img-kernel.img & AFAIK, non is compatible for use on others...

i simply provided a plugins based on Android Kitchen so that even a n00b/ newbie can port cwmr to their MT6573 simply by just drag & drop files to it... You are a programmer by profession i presume, so this is chicken feet to you but to a n00b/ newbie they don't no even where to start, like i did...

you'll be surprise if i tell you the top download of my tuts is rooting & installing busybox !

As for the builder, you still need to unpack it, copy few files over & repack it with bgcngm's MTK-tools for it to work on MT6573...not alot of n00b/ newbie know how to do that !

the intention of this plugins is to be able to port cwmr to any mt6573 based android phone...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yuweng For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jason_cheng
Old
(Last edited by jason_cheng; 13th September 2012 at 07:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuweng View Post
This is just a simple tool for n00b/ newbie...

i was a n00b six months ago & even now my android knowledge is still half empty...

As the first post says, there are hundreds if not thousands of android phone based on MT6573 SoC design, each with their own recovery.img-kernel.img & AFAIK, non is compatible for use on others...

i simply provided a plugins based on Android Kitchen so that even a n00b/ newbie can port cwmr to their MT6573 simply by just drag & drop files to it... You are a programmer by profession i presume, so this is chicken feet to you but to a n00b/ newbie they don't no even where to start, like i did...

you'll be surprise if i tell you the top download of my tuts is rooting & installing busybox !

As for the builder, you still need to unpack it, copy few files over & repack it with bgcngm's MTK-tools for it to work on MT6573...not alot of n00b/ newbie know how to do that !

the intention of this plugins is to be able to port cwmr to any mt6573 based android phone...
yuweng, and I thought you were the programmer! (other than bgcngm I see you as our local MTK expert)

Seriously, we are all noobs. That was my main concern Android Kitchen interface is command-based whereas the builder you just need to upload an image and you will get an image in return.

So do you mean using Android Kitchen there is no need to go through setting up Cygwin, repack, unpack, etc.? Just download the Kitchen, enter some commands, and you will have a recovery.img which you can flash directly?

yuweng
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2210
i'm a half-cook programmer...

yaya, but you need to setup java, Android Kitchen & the plugins scripts will do everything... That is for linux...For windows, you already know...

As for the builder, it works on major brands where it can be flash directly but not on mt65xx...

jason_cheng
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Ahh OK in that case I do suppose the Kitchen would be much simpler.

Ya, the MTK partitions and images are not the same as those of other devices. That's why Bruno wrote the script to help us

breaky9973
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_cheng View Post
yuweng, and I thought you were the programmer! (other than bgcngm I see you as our local MTK expert)

Seriously, we are all noobs. That was my main concern Android Kitchen interface is command-based whereas the builder you just need to upload an image and you will get an image in return.

So do you mean using Android Kitchen there is no need to go through setting up Cygwin, repack, unpack, etc.? Just download the Kitchen, enter some commands, and you will have a recovery.img which you can flash directly?
Hi Jason,

I have cpio and can execute perl scripts. gzip and gunzip are setup too. The script just cannot find the file ramdisk-repack.cpio.gz and I cannot find it anywhere.
Maybe the dump of the recovery.img was not good. I will try again.

breaky9973
Old
(Last edited by breaky9973; 19th September 2012 at 06:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
*UPDATE*

The mkbootimg executabe I download was not correctly installed. Now the script finishes without error.
However the recovery.img doesn't do anything. I think I have to look for another mkbootimg or compile one from source myself...

For people who are interested to try the Ubuntu way:

Unpacking:

sudo perl ./unpack-MT65xx.pl recovery.img

Re-packing:

sudo perl ./repack-MT65xx.pl -recovery ./recovery.img-kernel.img ./recovery.img-ramdisk ./recovery.img

I will attach the mkbootimg once I succeed

Tags
custom recovery, mt65xx, mtk, porting tool, recovery