Ask a question

No registration required

Lenovo ideaTab S2109 ROOT?!

OP pdaman01

11th August 2012, 07:55 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Is there a possibility for getting root and CWM recovery on this device? i have achieved to get into E3 Recovery, Bootloader mode, and some other test screen.. i posted pics and a description on how to do it. i would really like to get root on this device, i can can help anyone in all ways possible.. p.m. me.

Link to video is in a text file..
14th August 2012, 12:16 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 12

47 posts
More
I wait for S2109 root too...
I want buy this devise, but without root its difficult use it...
I wait for S2109 root too...

you can find on support.lenovo.com Open Source Code:
fih_uboot_0618.tar.gz 10.7MB
kernel_s2109.tar 445MB
Last edited by 1806; 14th August 2012 at 12:26 PM.
15th August 2012, 01:21 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Post how to obtain these files
Hey how do I find the files u are talking about? Like a link?
15th August 2012, 01:38 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Thumbs up nevermind got em
Maybe someone can start developing on the uboot.bin and the system image to obtain some root access
20th August 2012, 12:49 AM   |  #5  
Flag Bytom
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
More
Thumbs up
Hi, I own Medion Lifetab S9512, which is a branded version of the Lenovo S2109. I am not sure what Android version is the S2109 shipped with. If it is 4.0.3 you can root it using the method from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1439429, as the method is confirmed to work with S9512. The other possibility, which works also for 4.0.4 version is to use CWM recovery. I have compiled a provisional version for S9512 and it should work also for S2109. Installation instructions and the download links are available at German site (don't worry, my posts are in English, posted under the nick of el_fuego ): http://www.android-hilfe.de/medion-l...ckworkmod.html
The Following User Says Thank You to polakko For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2012, 07:03 PM   |  #6  
Flag Monrovia, CA
Thanks Meter: 4

7 posts
Thumbs up WOO!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by polakko

Hi, I own Medion Lifetab S9512, which is a branded version of the Lenovo S2109. I am not sure what Android version is the S2109 shipped with. If it is 4.0.3 you can root it using the method from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1439429, as the method is confirmed to work with S9512. The other possibility, which works also for 4.0.4 version is to use CWM recovery. I have compiled a provisional version for S9512 and it should work also for S2109. Installation instructions and the download links are available at German site (don't worry, my posts are in English, posted under the nick of el_fuego ): http://www.android-hilfe.de/medion-l...ckworkmod.html

Awesome! thank you so much! the CWM root worked perfectly. However, the driver from the SDK folder wasn't recognized so I just used the Lenovo ADB driver that came shipped with the device and that worked just fine. Took me about 20 minutes to complete - that includes resolving the driver issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to brandoramo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st August 2012, 01:15 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 2

3 posts
Niiice
OK, so the CWM method worked great on my S2109. I had the 4.0.4 update.

Two things:

1) The Lenovo drivers are at Lenovo's support website. Just search for "adb interface driver"
2) In step 3 of el_fuego's instructions, he says "add following to both the [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64] sections:", add this instead:

Code:
;Lenovo S2109
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_17EF&PID_748B&REV_0100
%SingleAdbInterface%         = USB_Install, USB\VID_17EF&PID_748C&MI_02
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_17EF&PID_748C&REV_0216&MI_02
%SingleAdbInterface%         = USB_Install, USB\VID_17EF&PID_748C&MI_00
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_17EF&PID_748C&REV_0216&MI_00
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_17EF&PID_74CC&REV_0216
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luckyjay For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th September 2012, 01:13 AM   |  #8  
Flag Coeur d'Alene

4 posts
More
How easy is this root? I'm not really familiar with the process and don't want to brick the device, which I'm concerned about as I don't quite understand the directions.
30th October 2012, 11:12 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 1

2 posts
Lenovo s2109 rooted
@Jittery Jim: Rooting following polakko's (or el_fuego's) guide is straightforward. I did it yesterday and found no problems, you should only consider luckyjay's post regarding the adb driver.

@all: As I imply above the rooting process was free of problems and I have successfully installed CWM. However, after rooting I've run into some other problems:

First:
I rooted before performing a Software update (i.e. I still have the original version 4.0.3). I was planning to make a backup of the system after CWM installation and then update to 4.0.4.
When I try to backup the system using CWM everything works fine until the step "Backing up data..." I get the following messages:

- No /sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage.
- Backing up cache...
- No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext.
- Generating md5 sum...
- Backup complete!

After backing up, I find in the internal sd card 4 files (in total 500K) and a directory called "blobs" with several subdirectories. In total about 2000 files. Is that the backup?

Furthermore, when I try to update to 4.0.4 using CWM, I get the following:
- Finding update package...
- Opening update package...
- Installing update...
- Mount partition
- Verifying current system...
- assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/Launcher2.apk", .....
- E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
- (Status 7)
- Installation aborted.

If I try to update from the normal system (i.e. outside CWM), CWM stops the update upon reboot.

Any ideas of how to update to 4.0.4 after CWM has been installed?

Second:
I have installed Super Manager from the market. When I try to enable ROOT, I get a message telling that ROOT functions are nor supported in my device. As it could be expected, Superuser does not inform that there is an app trying to get root priviliges, and Super Manager does not appear listed in the superuser's app list.

Third:
It appears that in newer Android builds, it is not possible for third party apps (apps that were not preloaded on the device, but you manually installed or downloaded from Android Market / Google Play) to gain write access to the external SD card. This was not an issue on Android 2.x but it became a problem on Android 3.x.
The implications of this (at least in my cse) is that I can not create folders, copy files or move apps to the external sd card. That even happens with the preinstalled ES Explorer. The solution to this problem is easy if root access is available. One just needs to add the line <group gid="media_rw" /> within the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE section of the file /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml.

I have pulled the file platform.xml with adb and updated it accordingly. However, I can not push it back because the directory /system/etc/permissions is read only. Any ideas of how to circumvent this problem?

Cheers,
Pisuke
The Following User Says Thank You to pisuke2012 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st October 2012, 03:25 PM   |  #10  
Flag Coeur d'Alene

4 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisuke2012

@Jittery Jim: Rooting following polakko's (or el_fuego's) guide is straightforward. I did it yesterday and found no problems, you should only consider luckyjay's post regarding the adb driver.

Thanks, I'll see about giving it a shot.

The main reason I am interested is I would like to install a mod of Jelly Bean on the thing, but now I am not sure there is a build that the tablet will support. Anyone know?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ideapad, ideatab, lenovo, s2109
Previous Thread Next Thread