[ROOT][MOD][HOW TO] Disable Presidential Alert Text Messages

Tip us?

blazera
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default [ROOT][MOD][HOW TO] Disable Presidential Alert Text Messages

[ROOT][MOD][HOW TO] Disable Presidential Alert Text Messages

After reading this thread on how to remove the severe weather alerts, I took it upon myself to find a way to remove Presidential Alerts, which is not an option in the stock ROM. Sure enough, I found the preferences file that the stock messaging app uses, changed a Boolean value, and profited.

What I used:
- External SD card installed in the phone.
- File explorer with root capability (ES File Explorer in my case; I'm sure Root Explorer works just as well).
- PC with a Text Editor (Wordpad worked best for me). I had seen posts on other threads (don't remember exactly which ones) that stated using text editors on the phone may not be saving files properly, so I went with the tried and true route.

Here are the steps that I used, based on memory. (Assuming root capability is already enabled on the file explorer.) Apologies if I left anything out, since it's been a few days since I did this on my phone.

1. Open the file explorer and navigate to the directory /data/data/com.android.mms/shared_prefs

2. Make a copy of the file com.android.mms_preferences.xml and save that copy to the root of the external SD card.

3. Rename the original file to com.android.mms_preferences.xml.orig. This is backup of the original XML file just in case something goes wrong along the way.

4. Connect the external SD card to the PC by whatever means. (I unmounted/removed the external SD card, and inserted it into a card reader attached to the PC.)

5. Navigate to the disk drive corresponding to the external SD card.

6. Using the text editor, open the file com.android.mms_preferences.xml.

7. Search for the Boolean name #cmas#type##presidential#enabled.

8. Change the value associated with that Boolean from true to false.

9. Save the XML file.

10. Insert the external SD card back into the phone.

11. Copy the file com.android.mms_preferences.xml from the external SD card to the directory /data/data/com.android.mms/shared_prefs (you're overwriting the XML file that's already there - that's OK)

12. Exit the file explorer.

13. Reboot the phone. (Not sure if this is really needed, but it's good practice.)

14. After rebooting, check the Messaging settings and verify that there is no check next to Presidential Alerts.

15. (Optional) If Presidential Alerts are not checked, go back into /data/data/com.android.mms/shared_prefs with the file explorer and delete "com.android.mms_preferences.xml.orig".

Have fun!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to blazera For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TechSavvy2
Old
Thanks Meter 435
Has anyone even received any presidential alerts yet? I hadn't even heard of them till this thread.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

PetRiLJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSavvy2 View Post
Has anyone even received any presidential alerts yet? I hadn't even heard of them till this thread.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
No I havent. And I haven't figured out what it is. Is this going to be spam or is this going to be something important? If it is spam or anything to do with the elections then I want to get rid of it. Who put here? Verizon?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
-Joseph L

jdk2
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetRiLJoe View Post
No I havent. And I haven't figured out what it is. Is this going to be spam or is this going to be something important? If it is spam or anything to do with the elections then I want to get rid of it. Who put here? Verizon?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
You decide: http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/services/eas/
The Following User Says Thank You to jdk2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AlexDeGruven
Old
Thanks Meter 212
The emergency system that alerts these phones is for REAL emergencies. If you're getting a message from the President on your phone, you can be rest assured, that you NEED the information being sent, because it's possible that it could save your life (or tell you that there's simply nothing that can be done to save your life and you should duck and cover because holy crap here come the bombs!).

Same with the severe weather alerts. They are there to tell you things like "There's a tornado coming down your street, take cover NOW!", not "It's going to rain Thursday.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlexDeGruven For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jmorton10
Old
Thanks Meter 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDeGruven View Post

Same with the severe weather alerts. They are there to tell you things like "There's a tornado coming down your street, take cover NOW!", not "It's going to rain Thursday.
I'll disagree with that. The presidential alerts may be important, but I disabled the B.S. weather alerts after the 3rd flood warning in my area (I have lived in the area I do my whole life & it has never flooded yet nor is it likely to as there is no water in the area that could flood )
~John

VZ Note 3, rooted, Beans ROM/Nova Prime/Custom icons
Gear watch with Null 22.1 ROM & Trangulum kernel,themed etc.

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, rooted W/ Google Playstore & Amazon app store working.
Amazon Prime Video/GMAIL etc. all working perfectly.
Leather Origami case.
Moshi iVisor XT screen protector

MS Surface Pro Tablet W/touch KB
64 gig plus Sandisk (junk) 64 gig MicroSD

Lol, I feel sorry for the pathetic posters who beg everybody to thank them in their signatures.....

Karl
Old
Thanks Meter 453

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDeGruven
The emergency system that alerts these phones is for REAL emergencies. If you're getting a message from the President on your phone, you can be rest assured, that you NEED the information being sent, because it's possible that it could save your life (or tell you that there's simply nothing that can be done to save your life and you should duck and cover because holy crap here come the bombs!).

I believe when they killed bin laden we were told via presidential address while it was a import it wasnt a emergency . And there has been presidential address about the debt calling.... not trying to make this political just saying there not all emergencies

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Forum Runner

bbeelzebub
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Presidential messages are only used in the event that we are being attacked,martians land, etc. etc.

No, they won't be used to remind you to vote, that Obama loves you, to tell you Sarah Palin is an idiot, etc.

I've disabled the others like the weather notices because they are annoying and repetitive. Depending on where you live, maybe you want them. In SoCal, I won't be having a snowstorm anytime soon. I kept getting flash flood notices one day and finally turned them off.

I've also disabled Amber Alerts because..... Well, I don't care. I don't have kids, don't want them and don't like yours. Bad me. Oh well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bbeelzebub For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chamberc
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Hussein is the last person on the planet I want to hear from. Thanks for this method!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chamberc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AlexDeGruven
Old
Thanks Meter 212
Ahh bias. It stinks no matter where it comes from.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlexDeGruven For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]