Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,914 Members 45,145 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

stuck rebooting!

Tip us?

clifton56
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Thumbs down stuck rebooting!

I'm kind of a noob with this but my Verizon GS3 is doing a boot loop and I have no idea how to fix it! Please help!

scsa20
Old
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
First off, are you able to throw ADB commands to the phone? (a lot of the time when I get stuck in a boot loop I can still throw ADB commands at it), if so, throw adb reboot recovery to reboot into the recovery.

If you can't, remove the battery to turn it off, pop the battery back in, then hold Volume Up, Home, and Power to boot into the recovery.

Once in the recovery do a full wipe.

If you are flashing a ROM it's always suggested to do a full wipe before flashing the ROM.

If wiping doesn't work then restore for a previous backup (I hope you did a backup before you did whatever you did since you weren't being detailed in what you were doing at the time).
--- Devices ---
Motorola XOOM
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-900V

-- Used to Have (oldest to newest) --
Blackberry Tour 9630
Motorola Droid X
HTC Thunderbolt
Samsung Galaxy S III
Samsung Galaxy Note II SCH-I605
The Following User Says Thank You to scsa20 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

clifton56
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsa20 View Post
First off, are you able to throw ADB commands to the phone? (a lot of the time when I get stuck in a boot loop I can still throw ADB commands at it), if so, throw adb reboot recovery to reboot into the recovery.

If you can't, remove the battery to turn it off, pop the battery back in, then hold Volume Up, Home, and Power to boot into the recovery.

Once in the recovery do a full wipe.

If you are flashing a ROM it's always suggested to do a full wipe before flashing the ROM.

If wiping doesn't work then restore for a previous backup (I hope you did a backup before you did whatever you did since you weren't being detailed in what you were doing at the time).
Thanks for responding! All I was doing was backing it up through ROM Manager and after the backup it went into the boot loop. When I hold the power, home, and volume down button it goes into download mode so I can't even get into the recovery. Have you heard of this before?

scsa20
Old
Thanks Meter 27

DONATE TO ME
Try doing Volume Down, Home, and Power instead (one does download and one recovery, I can't remember which since I do everything through adb and very rarely have to do it manually).
--- Devices ---
Motorola XOOM
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-900V

-- Used to Have (oldest to newest) --
Blackberry Tour 9630
Motorola Droid X
HTC Thunderbolt
Samsung Galaxy S III
Samsung Galaxy Note II SCH-I605
The Following User Says Thank You to scsa20 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

clifton56
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Try doing Volume Down, Home, and Power instead (one does download and one recovery, I can't remember which since I do everything through adb and very rarely have to do it manually).
Well the good news is I can get into recovery. The bad news is every time I try and restore it goes back into the same boot loop for a few cycles then goes back into Clockworkmod recovery. I feel like I'm getting close here...

clifton56
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
When I do reboot system now it says "error processing ROM Manager script. Please verify that you are performing the backup, restore, or ROM installation from ROM Manager v4.4.0.0 or higher."

xXJay_RXx
Old
Thanks Meter 500
Why not just flash a new rom to get rid of the boot loop? Or Odin back to stock n root all over again?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dancerock
Old
Thanks Meter 0
can you be more percifics ?

ocariee
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default try re-install the rom

I just faced the same problem on my SGS2. Hold Volume Up + Home button + Power button to recovery mode (I guess SGS3 is the same as SGS2), then re-install the rom. If it is still not working, you may have to try another rom. To incase this problem happening, I always put two old rom and a new rom in my internal sd card, it's a lot safer, but they will use about 1GB in your phone.

jprovan1
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Download a new ROM then flash it. Should fix your problem

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

And get back to work Clifton. Hahahaha

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app