Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,011 Members 38,974 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: How do you deal with DTS Audio?
Re-encode to smaller phone-friendly format 25 14.53%
Old version of player that still has DTS support 65 37.79%
I don't watch mkv video on my phone 18 10.47%
Other 64 37.21%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

DTS Audio for android == LAWSUIT

Tip us?

juami
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmore View Post
The impression I got is that DicePlayer switched from AdSupported&Paid versions to DonationWare in preparation of becoming AbandonWare. In any case, they removed DTS, so it's out of the running, and from the comments I read about the external dts workaround you mentioned: it doesn't work as well. VLC wins for now. Thanks, though.
That is your impression. but I am working for upgrading diceplayer. We do not adandon diceplayer. I am very upset and feel that I should really adondon diceplayer. Why do I do bothering jobs like supporting JB and fixing bugs and adding external codec features.

removing DTS is another problems. MX also remove DTS. we have same situations.

did you copy libffmpeg.so to /sdcard ( root of internal storage memory ). and enable custom plug-in and restart diceplayer?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juami For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zmore
Old
(Last edited by zmore; 14th August 2012 at 06:25 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by juami View Post
That is your impression. but I am working for upgrading diceplayer. We do not adandon diceplayer. I am very upset and feel that I should really adondon diceplayer. Why do I do bothering jobs like supporting JB and fixing bugs and adding external codec features.

removing DTS is another problems. MX also remove DTS. we have same situations.

did you copy libffmpeg.so to /sdcard ( root of internal storage memory ). and enable custom plug-in and restart diceplayer?
I didn't realize you were one of the DicePlayer devs when I replied. So, sorry 'bout sounding as if I was bashing DicePlayer.

I used your app for over a year mainly because it was fast, played just about everything I threw at it, and because it was and still is the only player (afaik) that can browse & directly stream from windows network shares (without having to first mount samba/cifs in a separate app). It was just the loss of DTS and the (false) impression of it becoming abandonware that made me leave it.

Mind if I ask how much the lawyers were asking for a DTS licensing fee? And, how is it that VLC and others are getting away with it?
Primary Phone: Note3 (SM-N900T); ROM: CyanogenMod 11 (KitKat 4.4.*); kernel: Stock @ 2.3GHz; misc: Incipio DualPro; 64GB class10 microSDXC
Primary Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012); ROM: CM11
Working museum piece: SGS1 Captivate (SGH-i897); ROM: CM11; kernel: Stock @ 1.0GHz
(Other devices: Nexus 10 (stock); Retired devices: SGS3 (SGH-i747), Kindle Fire (otter), OG Galaxy Tab 7, ...)

juami
Old
Thanks Meter 83
DTS deny to sell thier products to sw player makers.
We already contact them to buy license. But they refuse to sell.
They want to sell DTS license to hw vendor like samsung.

xtrememorph
Old
Thanks Meter 36
And Samsung don't want to buy to put it in their hardware... don't they know that make their handset sells even faster??

xtrememorph
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Trying out to video on Galaxy S 3 Jelly Bean (Omega V14)

Dice Player - Error prompt "Video playback Sorry, this video cannot be played." just by starting the app
MX Player - 1.6F show version not supported and close
VLC Player - Software mode playback on some videos ok, enable hardware with have choppy videos

Not sure is upgrading to JB worth it...

zmore
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrememorph View Post

Dice Player - Error prompt "Video playback Sorry, this video cannot be played." just by starting the app
VLC Player - Software mode playback on some videos ok, enable hardware with have choppy videos

I see no Omega ROM in the dev forum... and when I google it, it says it's still ICS, not JB.

Anyhoo, VLC Player has been great for me, and it's all I use now since it plays everything I throw at it (like DicePlayer used to). My only minor gripe with it is that it's sometimes herkyjerky in the first 3 seconds of video before it 'catches up', so I can never see the first few seconds of some videos.
Primary Phone: Note3 (SM-N900T); ROM: CyanogenMod 11 (KitKat 4.4.*); kernel: Stock @ 2.3GHz; misc: Incipio DualPro; 64GB class10 microSDXC
Primary Tablet: Nexus 7 (2012); ROM: CM11
Working museum piece: SGS1 Captivate (SGH-i897); ROM: CM11; kernel: Stock @ 1.0GHz
(Other devices: Nexus 10 (stock); Retired devices: SGS3 (SGH-i747), Kindle Fire (otter), OG Galaxy Tab 7, ...)

ghost77
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrememorph View Post

If rom is CyanogenMod ,ASOP/AOKP they won't have samsung media codecs. That's why hardware acceleration not working.
Flash samsung stock based rom with proper kernel i recommend this ktoonsez sammy kernel . And video playback will work properly.
-= Nexus One - AT&T SGS1 - Int SGS2 - AT&T SGS3 - AT&T SGS4 - AT&T SGS5 =-

Platinum1986
Old
Thanks Meter 0
very interesting thread, i hope mx player will be compatible with DTS audio in near future.

dikime
Old
Thanks Meter 167
MX won't be compatible cause of the mentioned legal issues, but they added support for custom ffmpeg builds, which eventually might help adding DTS support back... if someone does it ofc.

jebise101
Old
(Last edited by jebise101; 15th September 2012 at 07:26 AM.)
Thanks Meter 117
might try Dice player again with the dts tweak, but i have been using vplayer for videos with DTS. Free in the play store and works rather well.

Well just like last time Dice player freezes and lags, with certain MKV files such as anime. BS Player is by far the best player around and love the LAN features, just wish the UI was cleaner.

The Following User Says Thank You to jebise101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]