Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,757 Members 47,725 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC One S with NFC ?

Tip us?

dc211
Old
Thanks Meter 203
It's too bad it's impossible to find teardown pics for our phone. I thought I found some once before but I couldn't right now in a quick search. A company called NXP makes the NFC chips in the latest round of Android phones. Since it is a separate chip and not just another feature in something like the wireless combo chip where they have a bunch of features (the chip in or phone can do FM RX / TX) and simply don't turn them on I'm doubtful.

But if anyone can find pictures of our phones mainboard just look for a chip with NXP on it and the mystery is over.

HTC One X NFC chip

frdd
Old
(Last edited by frdd; 14th August 2012 at 10:31 AM.) Reason: clarity
Thanks Meter 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc211 View Post
It's too bad it's impossible to find teardown pics for our phone.
I bet there are some nice photos in this report but also it most likely will cost a fair bit...
http://www.abiresearch.com/research/...ONE+S+Teardown

DSSLE
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdd View Post
I bet there are some nice photos in this report but also it most likely will cost a fair bit...
http://www.abiresearch.com/research/...ONE+S+Teardown
4000 $ are really a fair bit for only some pictures that needed For this price i would rather buy Some One S and unscrew them

Phone: HTC One X+ - rooted
Rom: Android Revolution HD 8.0 + Sense 5 Toolbox 1.6
Kernel: Stock ARHD Kernel

HTC One S (Ville S4) - Stock, rooted, SuperCID -- bricked after OTA
HTC Desire (Bravo) - last ROM: SMS by RSK TEAM - s-off -- sold

AHpower
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt3r.j2 View Post
Probably not. NFC can't get through the metal back cover. Since it can't, I doubt HTC put any NFC chips in the device.
The Sony Xperia p also have NFC and an aluminium unibody!

k1llacanon
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 183
Guys don't get your hopes high I very much doubt we have NFC lol there are annoyin people who fake things like that because they get a little humour from it but I don't think we have an NFC chip and even if we do I.... A small little tiny chance we do there are not many devs working on the one s and many of them do not even have the HTC one s for example troxx and leedroid so it will be hard to get a teardown

Sent from my HTC One S using xda premium

devgee
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 189

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llacanon View Post
Guys don't get your hopes high I very much doubt we have NFC lol there are annoyin people who fake things like that because they get a little humour from it but I don't think we have an NFC chip and even if we do I.... A small little tiny chance we do there are not many devs working on the one s and many of them do not even have the HTC one s for example troxx and leedroid so it will be hard to get a teardown

Thats true,

Gesendet von meinem HTC VLE_U mit Tapatalk 2

devgee
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 189

DONATE TO ME
By the way, when you remove the backcover for inserting sim card,
U will be able to see three double pins, one of them might be the nfc antenna, why i am saying it because i had a nexus s with same pins

Gesendet von meinem HTC VLE_U mit Tapatalk 2

frdd
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSLE View Post
4000 $ are really a fair bit for only some pictures that needed For this price i would rather buy Some One S and unscrew them

Lol a few phones, and a nice DSLR thanks for checking, figured it would be something like that so I didn't bother to create an account

el_smurfo
Old
Thanks Meter 1088
The S4 SOC is so integrated, it's likely that it has the NFC functionality built in along with the cell radio, gps, etc. My company makes several products based on one platform, with various functionality enabled via software. I would guess that NFC is disabled on the HOS to differentiate it from the flagship HOX but could probably work using the HOX drivers.

dc211
Old
Thanks Meter 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_smurfo View Post
The S4 SOC is so integrated, it's likely that it has the NFC functionality built in along with the cell radio, gps, etc. My company makes several products based on one platform, with various functionality enabled via software. I would guess that NFC is disabled on the HOS to differentiate it from the flagship HOX but could probably work using the HOX drivers.
I was really hoping this was the case but it's not. I looked at the data sheets for the SOC and wireless combo chip. NFC is not present. In the One X & S3 & Nexus S and others I've looked at NFC is provided by a discrete chip from NXP. Since it's provided by a discrete chip and isn't something like the like FM transmit which the wireless chip is capable of but not active chances are very small HTC would add the chip and not use it.

From the Anandtech ATT One X review

Quote:
The One X includes NFC tag and beaming support courtesy the ubiquitous NXP PN544.
`
Everyone remember this is HTC thinnest phone ever, space was a premium. The chance of them adding an extra chip only to not use it is very small.

I want to believe though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dc211 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]