After a bit of tinkering, I managed to get TWRP 18.104.22.168 on the wifi only tablet (since mine is wifi only, that's what I started working with first).
Tested and working:
- Flash my kernel
- Flash rom update zip
- Use TWRP file manager to erase old CM zip
- Screen timeout (give E:A: Render request failed error but seems to be harmless)
I had to take a few steps to shrink down the size:
- Replace curtain.jpg with dummy file
- Replace twrp lock with dummy file
- Replace superuser.apk and su with dummy files
- Remove curtainraise, and related functions from gui.cpp
- Remove curtain functions from action.cpp
- Disable exfat
Because of these more "severe" steps required to work the new version of TWRP, I am putting up an img file instead. This is so that if you aren't comfortable with dd flashing, you shouldn't be trying this since if the recovery isn't working well, you might need to dd flash an older version. And of course, sources are up with my changes too. Maybe somebody else with more free time can come up with some suggestions? The BoardConfigCommon.mk has some new variables specifically for TWRP22.214.171.124 so check that out too if you're interested in my tinkering.
One last thing to note: the exact size of the recovery partition is 5242880 bytes.