T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

"Unfortunately maps has stopped"

OP ESTEEeFFY0U

15th August 2012, 04:31 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
For some reason while I'm using the N7, just browsing various websites or looking at videos, the error notification "unfortunately maps has stopped" pops up.

I searched around for a fix or even other threads about this on the N7 but have not seen any.

I've tried re-installing the Maps application on my N7 but it seems like it can't be uninstalled. I disabled the app and the error message stopped, but when I wanted to use the Map app, I had to enable it, and after use did not disable and noticed the error notification pop up at around the same frequency.. (every other day or so.)

I have not rooted the device, and have only downloaded/installed a handful of apps; am using Apex launcher as an alternative for the lack of landscape view on the home screen. Thanks in advance for any help.
15th August 2012, 06:49 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,901

3,445 posts
Donate to Me
More
Same problem I'm having. Not rooted, completely stock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
19th August 2012, 12:32 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 117

678 posts
I'm also having this problem with the Nexus 7 and CM10, but good to know it also happens in stock, saves me some trouble.
19th August 2012, 12:46 AM   |  #4  
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 50

206 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESTEEeFFY0U

For some reason while I'm using the N7, just browsing various websites or looking at videos, the error notification "unfortunately maps has stopped" pops up.

I searched around for a fix or even other threads about this on the N7 but have not seen any.

I've tried re-installing the Maps application on my N7 but it seems like it can't be uninstalled. I disabled the app and the error message stopped, but when I wanted to use the Map app, I had to enable it, and after use did not disable and noticed the error notification pop up at around the same frequency.. (every other day or so.)

I have not rooted the device, and have only downloaded/installed a handful of apps; am using Apex launcher as an alternative for the lack of landscape view on the home screen. Thanks in advance for any help.

Have you tried this: Goto Settings > Apps > Maps > Force stop, clear cache, clear data. Then try rebooting your N7.

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy o

I'm also having this problem with the Nexus 7 and CM10, but good to know it also happens in stock, saves me some trouble.

Have you tried fixing permissions in recovery or through ROM Manager?
21st August 2012, 04:21 PM   |  #5  

678 posts
I've tried both, and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling maps, it still happens. Yesterday it interrupted me twice while I was playing a game. It's starting to get annoying.
21st August 2012, 04:51 PM   |  #6  
Flag Loganville
Thanks Meter: 61

476 posts
More
Yes this is also an annoying issue for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
21st August 2012, 06:04 PM   |  #7  
Flag Lombard, IL
Thanks Meter: 18

172 posts
More
If you don't *use* maps, and all the attendant programs (like local, navigation, etc) you can always go into your appdrawer, longhold the app and drag it up to App Info. (or go settings>apps>maps) and choose to "disable" the program.

(This *should* be possible stock, not rooted. I may be wrong, I didn't leave my N7 stock very long ;P)
25th August 2012, 01:40 AM   |  #8  

678 posts
I might have figured it out. Go to maps, settings, location settings, location reporting, select "do not update your location". So far no message this past day or so (crossing fingers).

[edit] Spoke too soon, just got one.
Last edited by andy o; 25th August 2012 at 02:30 AM.
25th August 2012, 04:03 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 17

335 posts
Call Google Apps support.

I had this issue happen to me for the Gmail app, and unfortunately, this was happening on two devices, occured after Factory Resetting two devices, and removing and re-adding the account.

Google might have changed/switched a setting, and it may have affected your ability to access any saved data you have on your account.
25th August 2012, 08:23 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 4

134 posts
Same problem here, maps has stopped. Happend when my N7 was stock, andre now when it is rooted.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread