Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,452 Members 42,354 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

VZW Halts OTA

Tip us?

my_username
Old
(Last edited by my_username; 16th August 2012 at 11:04 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default VZW Halts OTA

I just got off the phone with VZW. Apparently, they've stopped rolling out the OTA because of "software issues," though he didn't specify beyond that. So, for all of you who have been waiting for the OTA over the past few days, off the top of his head, the tech guesstimated it'll be around a month before they begin rolling it out again. Lame.

Edit: You can still install the .217 leak...but if the update has been pulled for software issues, that obviously means .217 is no longer the official OTA.

alex94kumar
Old
Thanks Meter 343
What? thats BS! even though im on Eclipse ICS 1.2, its still BS for anyone still on GB!
Proud owner of:
--Rooted VZW Moto X Developer Edition on stock 4.4 KitKat (Current Devce)
--Rooted Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition 4.3

--Rooted Droid 4 on 4.1.2(retired)
--Rooted Xoom Wingray on custom 4.2.2(retired)
--Rooted Droid 2 on Liberty 2.3 (Retired)

If I have helped you, DON'T FORGET to hit the button!

Want free cloud storage? Click the ---> <--- logo to sign up!

my_username
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex94kumar View Post
What? thats BS! even though im on Eclipse ICS 1.2, its still BS for anyone still on GB!
Yeah, I've been mashing the "systems update" option habitually now for a couple days, but also avoided just manually updating to the .217 leak for this very reason. Either way, it is kind of disappointing.

alex94kumar
Old
Thanks Meter 343
honestly, if I were you, I would jump on either the 217 leak, or if you want a custom rom that's slightly themed and has extra features/no bloat, go with Eclipse
Proud owner of:
--Rooted VZW Moto X Developer Edition on stock 4.4 KitKat (Current Devce)
--Rooted Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition 4.3

--Rooted Droid 4 on 4.1.2(retired)
--Rooted Xoom Wingray on custom 4.2.2(retired)
--Rooted Droid 2 on Liberty 2.3 (Retired)

If I have helped you, DON'T FORGET to hit the button!

Want free cloud storage? Click the ---> <--- logo to sign up!

moah909
Old
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
It wasn't supposed to be released for the general OTA, they did that on accident, only people who were signed up for the motorola feedback network test were supposed to get it, but for some reason they pushed it to all devices. It should be officially pushed in a week or so, because it appears the soak test isn't showing up any major issues.

Sent from my DROID4 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moah909 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rafterman414
Old
(Last edited by Rafterman414; 17th August 2012 at 12:59 AM.) Reason: It did not work
Thanks Meter 0
EDIT: Did NOT work

I called VZW tech support earlier today because it was not working and they did not mention anything about it being halted, but it probably depends on which tech you speak with.

I am not sure if this works or not but the guy I spoke with did tell me that performing a factory reset can sometimes trigger the upgrade. I don't have anything on there that I can't live without or easily re-install so I am going to go ahead and give it a shot.

EDIT: Just tried above. Did NOT work

silver6054
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafterman414 View Post
EDIT: Did NOT work

I called VZW tech support earlier today because it was not working and they did not mention anything about it being halted, but it probably depends on which tech you speak with.

I am not sure if this works or not but the guy I spoke with did tell me that performing a factory reset can sometimes trigger the upgrade. I don't have anything on there that I can't live without or easily re-install so I am going to go ahead and give it a shot.

EDIT: Just tried above. Did NOT work
As mentioned above, there was no planned general release yet. Moto did a release for "a few thousand" phones, of which only a small portion are official MFN soak testers. The test will end soon, and it looks like no show-stopper issues have been found, so, if things go as usual, the general release will roll out, probably in groups, over the next several days.

Sounds like the OP spoke to someone in VZ who really didn't know why the release wasn't available and made something up. (And I bet you never thought a VzW rep would do that!)
The Following User Says Thank You to silver6054 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

highlandsun
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 253

DONATE TO ME
Keep in mind, even if they had decided to halt it due to a showstopper bug, they've already released it to several thousand owners. Which means they're obligated to provide anyone on .217 with a way to get back onto the upgrade path, if they decide to release a newer update down the road.

All in all - if you're impatient, just install the current .217 files - you'll still be able to upgrade again later if you need to.

Btw: I'm on it now, and I ABSOLUTELY HATE the Dialer and Contacts being split apart into totally separate apps. I always hit the Dialer icon first, and then if I can't remember a person's phone number, I now have to back out of it and look up the contact first. Whereas on GB I just had to select the Contacts tab and go on. So from a human interface perspective, this new design sucks.
T-Mobile G1 / radio 2.22.28.25 / SPL 1.33.0013d / Recovery RA-dream-1.7.0 / FroyoByLazlo-4
T-Mobile TP2 (RHOD210) / radio 4.49.25.57 / WM6.5 / XDAndroid FRX06+Fixes
Verizon Droid4 / 6.16.217.XT894

jimmyhawk
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandsun View Post
Keep in mind, even if they had decided to halt it due to a showstopper bug, they've already released it to several thousand owners. Which means they're obligated to provide anyone on .217 with a way to get back onto the upgrade path, if they decide to release a newer update down the road.

All in all - if you're impatient, just install the current .217 files - you'll still be able to upgrade again later if you need to.

Btw: I'm on it now, and I ABSOLUTELY HATE the Dialer and Contacts being split apart into totally separate apps. I always hit the Dialer icon first, and then if I can't remember a person's phone number, I now have to back out of it and look up the contact first. Whereas on GB I just had to select the Contacts tab and go on. So from a human interface perspective, this new design sucks.
When your in at the dialer screen just push menu then search it goes to your contact list. So its a matter of hitting 2 buttons but you can get to it from dialer. I also miss the other way but im getting used to this and it doesnt bother me anymore

Sent from my DROID4 using xda premium
U.S.A.- verizon.
lg revolution, rooted but stock rom only. undecided on a new rom.

Die Bruine
Old
Thanks Meter 20
It's happened to me twice now in the last two days that I was unable to hear the people calling me. Switching to speaker mode or rebooting the phone fixed this. Actually only rebooting. Alternating between speaker and normal mode is just a temporary fix as long as I'm in speaker mode. Plug in the headset and it works. Take it out en again no sound... I think it happens after I use BT.
Lost my first ID
Canary/Voyager/Magician/Typhoon/Vox/Elf/Raphael/Rhodium/A853/U20i/A953/sk17i/XT894/XT897/HOX+/XT925
Currently XT897/XT925