Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,441 Members 43,937 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

noobs guide to flashing roms?

Tip us?

drnoob
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default noobs guide to flashing roms?

hello guys im new to the samsung game! im a former razr owner! but i noticed the is allot of differences in the motto hacking and the samsung hacks? i have a stock rooted Verizon galaxy s3 i downloaded the bootloader unlock app but haven't had the guts to hit the unlock button! and downloaded the ez recovery app but haven't use it ether! Im not sure where to start? i want to flash cm10 to try out the jelly bean effect! lol but i don't know where to start with that ether! and if i unlock the bootloader am i still able to flash the stock rooted rom using the same odin process that Ive done b4? do i need to back up anything? please help with a flashing guide 101 for samsung lol !

_Aardvark
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnoob View Post
hello guys im new to the samsung game! im a former razr owner! but i noticed the is allot of differences in the motto hacking and the samsung hacks? i have a stock rooted Verizon galaxy s3 i downloaded the bootloader unlock app but haven't had the guts to hit the unlock button! and downloaded the ez recovery app but haven't use it ether! Im not sure where to start? i want to flash cm10 to try out the jelly bean effect! lol but i don't know where to start with that ether! and if i unlock the bootloader am i still able to flash the stock rooted rom using the same odin process that Ive done b4? do i need to back up anything? please help with a flashing guide 101 for samsung lol !
See this:
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1837863

(sorry of the non-hyperlink, I'm not allowed)

loveubuntu
Old
(Last edited by loveubuntu; 19th August 2012 at 04:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 141
You have everything you need. If you're rooted, unlock the bootloader using the app you have, flash the non-touch cwr 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 using the ez recovery app or rom manager, then download cm10 and appropriate latest jelly bean gapps, boot into recovery from rom manager or pull battery hold volume up+home +power. From there, do a nandroid backup first, then wipe data, cache, system, and dalvick. Now flash your cm10 or any other rom, then your gapps, profit.

Edit: no over the air updates should be accepted or you can brick that shiny phone.

The whole process is much simpler now that the bootloader is unlocked.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

drnoob
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
thanks for the info! so say I'm on a custom Rom with my boot loader unlocked and i want to go back to stock rooted, would i just flash the stock rooted image? and won't that lock the boot loader again?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

lackskill
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnoob View Post
thanks for the info! so say I'm on a custom Rom with my boot loader unlocked and i want to go back to stock rooted, would i just flash the stock rooted image? and won't that lock the boot loader again?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Depends if you're on an AOSP based rom. If so, you'll need to flash a stock kernel and a full wipe is also necessary. Otherwise you should pretty much just be able to dirty flash over any stock based roms.

No, it won't relock the bootloader. That's a separate process.