[SOLUTION] Photo/Music Files Missing After Flashing New ROM (All ROMS)) [updated]

Search This thread

Jokesy

May 31, 2011
Lagos
[SOLUTION] PHOTOS/MUSIC/MEDIA FILES MISSING AFTER FLASHING A NEW ROM (CM9 based ROMS/ CM10 based ROMS/ AOKP ROMS/Stock based ROMS)

Why open this thread?
-Many people have been reported this issues already and the worst thing is that new threads are opened asking for the same solution.
-Only yesterday, I fixed this same problem for about 5-6 people
-I believe having this kind of thread will prevent forum/android beginners from opening a new thread, asking for the same solution over and over again

Symptoms?
-Photos missing from gallery app after flashing new ROM
-Music files missing or unplayable after flashing new ROM
-All media files on internal SD, External SD or both are missing or unplayable

How will I know if this solution will work for me?
-Browse through your device using a file manager/browser, If you can see your photos (DCIM), music files in their respective locations, then this solution will work for you
-If you still can't see your media files after the above step, this solution will simply not work for you

What's the cause of this problem?
Personally I've never had this problem but the reason could be:
-Media scanner skipping your media files for some reason
-corrupt media scanner db

Some users I've helped have also attributed the cause of this problem to:

-Incompatibility/Issues with latest update of ROM manager
-ROM issues(I disagree)
-Unknown/other reasons

Ok....Enough of the stories, this thread was opened for the solution to the problem not the causes. Let's get to the real deal

REQUIREMENTS
-A good file manager/explorer
-A working brain (just kidding)

SOLUTIONS

STEP I
-If you have ROM manager installed or bundled with your ROM, then please freeze/uninstall it, for now.

STEP II
-Using file explorer/manager or similar apps e.g ES file explorer, Astro, Solid explorer or Root explorer, enable show hidden files and folders in the option of your preferred app. Some of these explorers enable hidden files by default.

STEP III (OPTIONAL)
-If your issue is with missing pictures alone, then you may download "Quickpic" from market as reference gallery app

SOLUTION 1.

we need to retrigger the media scanning process

Manually,
- Go to Setting > Apps> All > Media storage, clear data
- Reboot phoneSOLUTION I

OR

Using an APP
-Download Rescan Media Root from market
-Run the App for some minutes

If this solution does not work for you then try Solution 2.

SOLUTION 2

We need to delete any .nomedia file(s) found in the photo and/or music folder(s)

Manually,
-Use a file manager/explorer to browse through your files on your internal SD.
-Check the root of of internal and external SD, Delete any .nomedia file if present
-Open your picture and music folders e.g. DCIM
-Delete any .nomedia file present in those (above) folders.
-Reboot your device
-Check if problem is solved now

Using an APP
-Download StudioKUMA .nomedia Manager from market
-Open the app, browse through your folder
-Any folder containing .nomedia file will be marked x
-check if any of your picture or music folder as listed as x
-Long click on your desired media folders and select enable media scanning for all of them
-reboot phone

If this solution does not work, then try Solution 1. again

If after repeating Solution 1., things are still not working, try Solution 3.

SOLUTION 3.

You will need a PC. You can also use a file manager/explorer but a PC is recommended

We need force retrigger the media scanning process radically

- connect your device to your Pc
- move/cut your media files and folders to a location on your Pc (double check these folders on your Pc to ensure .nomedia files are not present in the folder)
- reboot your device

- Create new folders for your media files using any file manager on your internal SD card. Don't copy anything to them yet.
- Take a picture with your phone, check if it's showing in your gallery.
- reboot your device
- Check again if the pic you took the other time is still showing in your gallery

-connect your phone to your Pc
-copy back your media files (don't copy the folders) to the new folders you created on your internal SD card (in the first section of solution III).
-reboot your device.

If you find this Post useful, click on the THANKS button

If you have any suggestions in form of questions/ideas please do let me know

thanks to kilometers4 and budi5555 for their feedback

Last edited:

disellusional

Oct 15, 2010
solution 1 2 3 did not fix the problem.
solution 3 provided temporary fix but few days later, nothing is showing in gallery.

budi5555

Aug 15, 2011
after experiment 2days, finally my gallery can load pictures and my music player can detect all my music...:good::good::good:

in this case, i'm NOT installed ROM MANAGER before...
this is my step:
1. make sure i don't have .nomedia in pictures folder/music folder or in internal memory or in internal memory/android or in sdcard
2. connect device to pc.... copy DCIM folder to pc...--->just for your backup
3. delete folder DCIM in device
4. disconect device
5. setting-app-media storage-clear data
6. reboot!

give the device time to load your pic/music....
don't worry, that will automaticly make DCIM folder again...,

DONE!!! :cool:

Reactions: maxmiru

Jokesy

May 31, 2011
Lagos
after experiment 2days, finally my gallery can load pictures and my music player can detect all my music...:good::good::good:

this is my step:
1. make sure i don't have .nomedia in pictures folder/music folder or in internal memory or in internal memory/android or in sdcard
4. disconect device
6. reboot!

Good

Swyped from my Samsung Galaxy SII

kilometers4

Mar 6, 2012
When this happened to me, all I had to do was install rescan media root from the play store, run it and all my pics, songs and vids showed up.
And rom manager is not a good combination with the s2 and cwm recovery.. I would not recommend using it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Jokesy

May 31, 2011
Lagos
When this happened to me, all I had to do was install rescan media root from the play store, run it and all my pics, songs and vids showed up.
And rom manager is not a good combination with the s2 and cwm recovery.. I would not recommend using it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

I know this method too. I should have updated the guide already, but i've been busy lately.

fyzix

Oct 19, 2009
For the people who's images were completely deleted, such as mine. Here is a solution which will help you restore most or all of the images.

I'm cross posting here because this seems to be an active thread

In some instances Media Scanner will DELETE ALL THE PICTURES ON THE SD CARD
Here is an example google bug report on the issue http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3692

I have lost a year of pictures because of this. Before you assume I am making a mistake realize that the SDcard is now connected directly to my laptop and a search of the entire drive (including subfolders) with the string *.jpg gives no results. I can post a screenshot if you like.

Rom Manager caused my pictures actually be deleted and I am using recovery tools that scan the free space to get them back

If any of you suffered as I did try this OPEN SOURCE recovery tool specifically made for recovering pictures from an SDcard - PhotoRec - CGSecurity

Here is a screenshot of my current progress
azhswk.jpg

edit: I just realized it also broke some of my applications that stored images on the sdcard that served as part of their menu system. This is a cluster****.

I used this to recover almost all of my photo's.

PurpleMadness

Nov 30, 2011
This did not work for me. I used solution 3, after which a couple of my photos reappeared in gallery. But after a reboot, they were gone again. All my photos are in DCIM/camera.

Jokesy

May 31, 2011
Lagos
Yes, I repeated solutions 1 and 3 multiple times. I have fixed the pictures issue by installing a different gallery, but now my music won't show up in PlayerPro :(

And I don't have ROM manager.

ok.
Download studokuma in solution two and use it to enable media scanning on your media folders

Edit:
-Check the root of your SD card, both internal and external, and delete any .nomedia file you find there.
Reboot your phone

Swyped from my Galaxy SII

Last edited:

Jokesy

May 31, 2011
Lagos
hey, i hope you remember me. unfortunately, i installed another rom: RR ICS. the last ICS version because JB was too unstable. Anyhow, now when I use this all my media files are gone again, and this time I tried all methods you showed and something seems to work. what could be wrong please. any other suggestions? this time my external sd card is on /emmc
Galaxy S2 I9100 internation version with Resurrection Remix ICS2.5.3

If your media files are all on your External sD, then try these

1. Goto Setting > Applications > All > Media storage, then clear data.
2. Unmount your External SD, in Settings > Storage, then Remove it from your phone.
3. Reboot phone, leave the phone for about 10 minutes
4. Off your phone, and Reinsert your External SD
5. turn ON the phone, and leave it for about 10 minutes
6. Check gallery for your pictures

Reactions: GulliverBG

Spiralzz

Aug 22, 2011
Boston
Great thread Jokesy! Just saw it now. Should be easier to direct people to this perfect guide.

This thread should be stickied otherwise it will be lost.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Jokesy

May 31, 2011
Lagos
Great thread Jokesy! Just saw it now. Should be easier to direct people to this perfect guide.

This thread should be stickied otherwise it will be lost.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks.

I think that's a good idea. You can help recommend the thread to be sticky-ed to the moderators.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SOLUTION] PHOTOS/MUSIC/MEDIA FILES MISSING AFTER FLASHING A NEW ROM (CM9 based ROMS/ CM10 based ROMS/ AOKP ROMS/Stock based ROMS)

Why open this thread?
    -Many people have been reported this issues already and the worst thing is that new threads are opened asking for the same solution.
    -Only yesterday, I fixed this same problem for about 5-6 people
    -I believe having this kind of thread will prevent forum/android beginners from opening a new thread, asking for the same solution over and over again

Symptoms?
    -Photos missing from gallery app after flashing new ROM
    -Music files missing or unplayable after flashing new ROM
    -All media files on internal SD, External SD or both are missing or unplayable

How will I know if this solution will work for me?
    -Browse through your device using a file manager/browser, If you can see your photos (DCIM), music files in their respective locations, then this solution will work for you
    -If you still can't see your media files after the above step, this solution will simply not work for you

What's the cause of this problem?
    Personally I've never had this problem but the reason could be:
    -Media scanner skipping your media files for some reason
    -corrupt media scanner db

Some users I've helped have also attributed the cause of this problem to:

-Incompatibility/Issues with latest update of ROM manager
    -ROM issues(I disagree)
    -Unknown/other reasons

Ok....Enough of the stories, this thread was opened for the solution to the problem not the causes. Let's get to the real deal

REQUIREMENTS
    -A good file manager/explorer
    -A working brain (just kidding)

SOLUTIONS

STEP I
    -If you have ROM manager installed or bundled with your ROM, then please freeze/uninstall it, for now.

STEP II
    -Using file explorer/manager or similar apps e.g ES file explorer, Astro, Solid explorer or Root explorer, enable show hidden files and folders in the option of your preferred app. Some of these explorers enable hidden files by default.

STEP III (OPTIONAL)
    -If your issue is with missing pictures alone, then you may download "Quickpic" from market as reference gallery app

SOLUTION 1.

we need to retrigger the media scanning process

Manually,
    - Go to Setting > Apps> All > Media storage, clear data
    - Reboot phoneSOLUTION I

OR

Using an APP
    -Download Rescan Media Root from market
    -Run the App for some minutes

If this solution does not work for you then try Solution 2.

SOLUTION 2

We need to delete any .nomedia file(s) found in the photo and/or music folder(s)

Manually,
    -Use a file manager/explorer to browse through your files on your internal SD.
    -Check the root of of internal and external SD, Delete any .nomedia file if present
    -Open your picture and music folders e.g. DCIM
    -Delete any .nomedia file present in those (above) folders.
    -Reboot your device
    -Check if problem is solved now

Using an APP
    -Download StudioKUMA .nomedia Manager from market
    -Open the app, browse through your folder
    -Any folder containing .nomedia file will be marked x
    -check if any of your picture or music folder as listed as x
    -Long click on your desired media folders and select enable media scanning for all of them
    -reboot phone

If after repeating Solution 1., things are still not working, try Solution 3.

SOLUTION 3.

You will need a PC. You can also use a file manager/explorer but a PC is recommended

We need force retrigger the media scanning process radically

- connect your device to your Pc
    - move/cut your media files and folders to a location on your Pc (double check these folders on your Pc to ensure .nomedia files are not present in the folder)
    - reboot your device

- Create new folders for your media files using any file manager on your internal SD card. Don't copy anything to them yet.
    - Take a picture with your phone, check if it's showing in your gallery.
    - reboot your device
    - Check again if the pic you took the other time is still showing in your gallery

-connect your phone to your Pc
    -copy back your media files (don't copy the folders) to the new folders you created on your internal SD card (in the first section of solution III).
    -reboot your device.

If you find this Post useful, click on the THANKS button

If you have any suggestions in form of questions/ideas please do let me know

thanks to kilometers4 and budi5555 for their feedback

this is my step:
    4. disconect device
    6. reboot!

hey, i hope you remember me. unfortunately, i installed another rom: RR ICS. the last ICS version because JB was too unstable. Anyhow, now when I use this all my media files are gone again, and this time I tried all methods you showed and something seems to work. what could be wrong please. any other suggestions? this time my external sd card is on /emmc
    Galaxy S2 I9100 internation version with Resurrection Remix ICS2.5.3

If your media files are all on your External sD, then try these

1. Goto Setting > Applications > All > Media storage, then clear data.
    2. Unmount your External SD, in Settings > Storage, then Remove it from your phone.
    3. Reboot phone, leave the phone for about 10 minutes
    4. Off your phone, and Reinsert your External SD
    5. turn ON the phone, and leave it for about 10 minutes
    6. Check gallery for your pictures