Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,557 Members 46,325 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide] -The Ultimate Stock to Custom ROM Awesomeness thread - Noob friendly

Tip us?

The-Last-Hylian
Old
(Last edited by The-Last-Hylian; 21st August 2012 at 10:46 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by death__machine View Post
Good one! Explained everything required. N00b friendly xD
Thanks that was what I was aiming for

I figure that even if something is really complicated to do (which granted not much of what I wrote about is), if you write the instructions with proper and correct grammatical English then people will understand it a lot better.
Device: HTC One - ARHD 71.1 | Android 4.4.2 KitKat | HTC Sense 6.0 | TWRP v2.6.3.3

Feel free to Thank me anytime

Gaijintensity
HTC One (M8) - Mega Tech Discussion Thread >>
My Guide: The Ultimate Stock to Custom ROM awesomeness Thread - Noob Friendly

neoandresk
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Hi the last hylians, i currently new with hox, mine previous was sgs. It looks difficult to install custom rom with hox rather than sgs. First i want to know, mine software is 1.29.707.11, can i install all the custom rom or just a particular one with the same software. Thanks

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

The-Last-Hylian
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoandresk View Post
Hi the last hylians, i currently new with hox, mine previous was sgs. It looks difficult to install custom rom with hox rather than sgs. First i want to know, mine software is 1.29.707.11, can i install all the custom rom or just a particular one with the same software. Thanks

Hi there,

As long as you have a decent grasp of the English language and can follow instructions reasonably well then installing a custom ROM isn't too difficult, I'm sure you could muddle through

.707 is that Malaysia/Indonesia?

I believe that you could install a custom ROM that would be x.xx.401.xx as you'd be unlocking the bootloader so theoretically can install any OS on the phone that you like, the region for the OTA therefore wouldn't need apply as you wouldn't get FOTA's afterwards anyway.

It might be worth asking on the Android Revolution HD thread and posting a link to this thread so that way you can get a 2nd opinion.

Afaik you'd be fine however.

T-L-H
Device: HTC One - ARHD 71.1 | Android 4.4.2 KitKat | HTC Sense 6.0 | TWRP v2.6.3.3

Gaijintensity

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2882
This isn't knocking the guide, as it's good, BUT everything you have here is already available online if people were bothered to search for it - especially the bootloader unlocking as HTC have a detailed guide on their own website

You should also highlight the importance of downloading the RUU for your phone before unlocking. If it's not available add a note to proceed with caution

Still, good work
HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Grey) 16GB
ROM: 1.54.401.10 (KOT49H) | HBOOT: 3.16.0.0000 S-OFF | Recovery: Stock | Baseband: 1.16.2133156.UA15G_20.18m.4096.07L | Kernel: Stock | CID: HTC__001

OnePlus One (Sandstone Black) 64GB *** PENDING ***

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required)
The Following User Says Thank You to EddyOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

The-Last-Hylian
Old
(Last edited by The-Last-Hylian; 21st August 2012 at 11:21 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
This isn't knocking the guide, as it's good, BUT everything you have here is already available online if people were bothered to search for it - especially the bootloader unlocking as HTC have a detailed guide on their own website

You should also highlight the importance of downloading the RUU for your phone before unlocking. If it's not available add a note to proceed with caution

Still, good work
Thanks for that, I should mention about downloading the RUU for the phone in case you want to revert back, I was going to add that into the reserved #2 post at a later date, 'How to revert back to Stock'

Yeah I'm aware that there is a lot of info out here on XDA already but like I said at the start of my OP, it's all in different places, some of it is difficult to understand and it's quite fragmented in parts and there isn't really a 'Start-to-Finish' guide out there, or at least not one that I've seen. Even then, people can still find what they need, have access to all the relevant tools but still not be able to proceed, either due to lack of English skills or understanding, intelligence etc... So I thought I'd write it up in real 'laymans terms'.

But as you say, the info's already here for those who've learnt to use the search button

Gaijintensity

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The-Last-Hylian For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

neoandresk
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Thanks for repyling, fyi mine is indonesia.

The-Last-Hylian
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoandresk View Post
Thanks for repyling, fyi mine is indonesia.

How did you get on?

Gaijintensity

Porsche.V
Old
(Last edited by Porsche.V; 21st August 2012 at 03:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Hi mate! at first, thanks for this "noob" tuturial! i think i'm going to try it later.. i have some questions i would like to know before i continue as i don't root/flash roms since my htc hero.. would be thankful if you cared to help me

i have just installed the ruu on mine with 4.0.4 and senses 4.1.

- Will i be able to make a complete rom backup of my actual rom (exactly as it is, with my configs, apps, etc. i user to do it everytime when i was flashing a new rom on my hero so i could revert if anything went wrong or i didn't like the new rom).

- if not, is there a way to reinstall the ruu or the official rom later if i decide for it so i can receive official updates? In other words, can i revert to an "original" state?

And finaly, is there anything that is not working on revolution rom?

thanks a lot!
HTC TyTN
HTC TyTN II
HTC Hero
HTC Rhyme
HTC Evo 3D
HTC One X
HTC One

The-Last-Hylian
Old
(Last edited by The-Last-Hylian; 21st August 2012 at 03:42 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 431
Hey Porsche. V,

The answer to both of your questions is essentially 'Yes'.
You'll find in my OP one section called 'Backing up your data', depending on which instructions you decide to enter will depend on what gets backed up, take a look at that section and the forum thread that I linked to from that, that'll give you an idea on what to enter into CMD.
It'll be something like
Code:
adb backup -apk -shared -all -f C:\backup\backup21082012.ab
There's a good list of the factory ROMs here, download the relevant one for your handset, RUU etc... then put the phone in fastboot USB and enter into cmd from cd \Android\fastboot
Code:
fastboot oem lock
That'll relock the bootloader, I think that's correct anyway, never done it myself, I know many others have however but yes you can revert back to how the phone is stock, bar the Bootloader saying 'Relocked' instead of 'Locked'.
You can also make a Nandroid backup (always recommended, I should add that into my guide) before flashing any new ROMs, especially when coming from stock

Read these;
1:- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1660807
2:- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1543604
3:- DEFINITELY READ THIS http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...ore_your_phone

The ARHD ROM is the most stable ROM there is, everything works, it's the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche.V View Post
Hi mate! at first, thanks for this "noob" tuturial! i think i'm going to try it later.. i have some questions i would like to know before i continue as i don't root/flash roms since my htc hero.. would be thankful if you cared to help me

i have just installed the ruu on mine with 4.0.4 and senses 4.1.

- Will i be able to make a complete rom backup of my actual rom (exactly as it is, with my configs, apps, etc. i user to do it everytime when i was flashing a new rom on my hero so i could revert if anything went wrong or i didn't like the new rom).

- if not, is there a way to reinstall the ruu or the official rom later if i decide for it so i can receive official updates? In other words, can i revert to an "original" state?

thanks a lot!

Gaijintensity

The Following User Says Thank You to The-Last-Hylian For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Porsche.V
Old
Thanks Meter 3
instaling Revolution rom now! thanks for the tuturial!
HTC TyTN
HTC TyTN II
HTC Hero
HTC Rhyme
HTC Evo 3D
HTC One X
HTC One