XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I sneezed and my HTC One X screen cracked

Tip us?

Garoto1973
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Default I sneezed and my HTC One X screen cracked

I have acute rinitis plus recently I have a severe cold. I was using my computer with my HOX on the desk and suddenly I sneezed, one of the most powerful sneezes I have ever had, so much my ears were blocked. My HTC One X did not move but I heard something only to find out a huge crack from top to bottom.

My phone still works fine and the crack is not visible when my screen is on but I am very dissapointed on the glass strenght quality, how can it crack over the sound of a sneeze???

HTC One X Tegra 3

Venom ViperX 2.7.1 ROM
Previous devices: Nexus 7(2013)/HTC One x/Nook Color/Samsung Galaxy S2/Samsung Captivate/Nokia 5800/Nokia N73
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Garoto1973 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mwilky
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6349

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garoto1973 View Post
I have acute rinitis plus recently I have a severe cold. I was using my computer with my HOX on the desk and suddenly I sneezed, one of the most powerful sneezes I have ever had, so much my ears were blocked. My HTC One X did not move but I heard something only to find out a huge crack from top to bottom.

My phone still works fine and the crack is not visible when my screen is on but I am very dissapointed on the glass strenght quality, how can it crack over the sound of a sneeze???
Hahaha i laughed reading this, sure you didn't bang it it anything? Either that or you have one big sneeze!!

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
RENOVATE on the HTC One
Donations are much appreciated if you like my work

backfromthestorm
Old
Thanks Meter 257
Lmao, have a quick tooth count matey.

Post of the century so far....
"but if it's really completely not understableable, it's annoying to reading such sentences...he should at least trying to use the right letters.. ! -.- ...but okay something like that has nothing to do with development so i wont write anything to that anymore"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to backfromthestorm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Garoto1973
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkyyyy View Post
Hahaha i laughed reading this, sure you didn't bang it it anything? Either that or you have one big sneeze!!

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
It was definitely NOT a normal sneeze, I mean, I was overwhelmed by it.

I am very sad, I LOVE this phone after all the tweaking I have done to it, best screen ever, just not the glass it seems.

HTC One X Tegra 3

Venom ViperX 2.7.1 ROM
Previous devices: Nexus 7(2013)/HTC One x/Nook Color/Samsung Galaxy S2/Samsung Captivate/Nokia 5800/Nokia N73

Laurentius26
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1148

DONATE TO ME
@Op, maybe you scared the hox?
If you sneeze hard it can be very shocking I think.

Mario.calheta
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Are you the new super hero, the super sneezer ?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Mario.calheta For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Laurentius26
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1148

DONATE TO ME
Probably the microfoon is damaged as well hehehe..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario.calheta View Post
Are you the new super hero, the super sneezer ?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

The Following User Says Thank You to Laurentius26 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

oliseo
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Have you ever put your thumb over the cold water tap in the bath. As you reduce the diameter of the flow, the velocity increases.

So imagine your lungs being full of air. They are forced out your trachea, thus increasing the velocity. Now imagine your muscles spasming involuntary whilst your larynx is closed. The pressure build up is equal the force of 50 elephants standing on a two pence piece. So the moment your larynx opens, you release a shock wave of air travelling at hypersonic speeds. It was probably the pressure of this shock wave that fractured the glass.

You're just lucky that you caught your HOX straight on (probably why it didn't move). If you would have caught it side on, you could easily provided enough force for it to reach escape velocity. Rather tricky to explain to the insurance company that you're HOX is now in geo-stationary orbit.

I'd be more careful next time.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to oliseo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Garoto1973
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliseo View Post
Have you ever put your thumb over the cold water tap in the bath. As you reduce the diameter of the flow, the velocity increases.

So imagine your lungs being full of air. They are forced out your trachea, thus increasing the velocity. Now imagine your muscles spasming involuntary whilst your larynx is closed. The pressure build up is equal the force of 50 elephants standing on a two pence piece. So the moment your larynx opens, you release a shock wave of air travelling at hypersonic speeds. It was probably the pressure of this shock wave that fractured the glass.

You're just lucky that you caught your HOX straight on (probably why it didn't move). If you would have caught it side on, you could easily provided enough force for it to reach escape velocity. Rather tricky to explain to the insurance company that you're HOX is now in geo-stationary orbit.

I'd be more careful next time.
I agree, I barely had time to cover one of my nostrils, one propelled enough air to hit the HOX and break it , the other one caused an implosion which almost made my ears explode and my brain bounce uncontrollably.

After a lot of searching looks like changing the screen is better left to brain surgeons and as I am out of warranty I better take this with humor and accept it as a war wound.

HTC One X Tegra 3

Venom ViperX 2.7.1 ROM

HebeGuess
Old
Thanks Meter 304
If gorrila glass still considered poor quality, i advise you to invent any substitute to replaced it. I would be much appreciate if you done that.