No registration required

I sneezed and my HTC One X screen cracked

OP Garoto1973

20th August 2012, 09:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Heredia, Costa Rica
Thanks Meter: 34

228 posts
I have acute rinitis plus recently I have a severe cold. I was using my computer with my HOX on the desk and suddenly I sneezed, one of the most powerful sneezes I have ever had, so much my ears were blocked. My HTC One X did not move but I heard something only to find out a huge crack from top to bottom.

My phone still works fine and the crack is not visible when my screen is on but I am very dissapointed on the glass strenght quality, how can it crack over the sound of a sneeze???
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Garoto1973 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2012, 09:16 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 6,798

4,754 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garoto1973

I have acute rinitis plus recently I have a severe cold. I was using my computer with my HOX on the desk and suddenly I sneezed, one of the most powerful sneezes I have ever had, so much my ears were blocked. My HTC One X did not move but I heard something only to find out a huge crack from top to bottom.

My phone still works fine and the crack is not visible when my screen is on but I am very dissapointed on the glass strenght quality, how can it crack over the sound of a sneeze???

Hahaha i laughed reading this, sure you didn't bang it it anything? Either that or you have one big sneeze!!

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
20th August 2012, 09:19 PM   |  #3  
Flag 47000 places at once.
Thanks Meter: 268

739 posts
More
Lmao, have a quick tooth count matey.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to backfromthestorm For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2012, 09:21 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Heredia, Costa Rica

228 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkyyyy

Hahaha i laughed reading this, sure you didn't bang it it anything? Either that or you have one big sneeze!!

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

It was definitely NOT a normal sneeze, I mean, I was overwhelmed by it.

I am very sad, I LOVE this phone after all the tweaking I have done to it, best screen ever, just not the glass it seems.
20th August 2012, 09:32 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,152

7,952 posts
Donate to Me
@Op, maybe you scared the hox?
If you sneeze hard it can be very shocking I think.
20th August 2012, 09:37 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 8

68 posts
Are you the new super hero, the super sneezer ?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Mario.calheta For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2012, 09:40 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,152

7,952 posts
Donate to Me
Probably the microfoon is damaged as well hehehe..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario.calheta

Are you the new super hero, the super sneezer ?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

The Following User Says Thank You to Laurentius26 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2012, 09:53 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 11

35 posts
Have you ever put your thumb over the cold water tap in the bath. As you reduce the diameter of the flow, the velocity increases.

So imagine your lungs being full of air. They are forced out your trachea, thus increasing the velocity. Now imagine your muscles spasming involuntary whilst your larynx is closed. The pressure build up is equal the force of 50 elephants standing on a two pence piece. So the moment your larynx opens, you release a shock wave of air travelling at hypersonic speeds. It was probably the pressure of this shock wave that fractured the glass.

You're just lucky that you caught your HOX straight on (probably why it didn't move). If you would have caught it side on, you could easily provided enough force for it to reach escape velocity. Rather tricky to explain to the insurance company that you're HOX is now in geo-stationary orbit.

I'd be more careful next time.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to oliseo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2012, 10:31 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Heredia, Costa Rica

228 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliseo

Have you ever put your thumb over the cold water tap in the bath. As you reduce the diameter of the flow, the velocity increases.

So imagine your lungs being full of air. They are forced out your trachea, thus increasing the velocity. Now imagine your muscles spasming involuntary whilst your larynx is closed. The pressure build up is equal the force of 50 elephants standing on a two pence piece. So the moment your larynx opens, you release a shock wave of air travelling at hypersonic speeds. It was probably the pressure of this shock wave that fractured the glass.

You're just lucky that you caught your HOX straight on (probably why it didn't move). If you would have caught it side on, you could easily provided enough force for it to reach escape velocity. Rather tricky to explain to the insurance company that you're HOX is now in geo-stationary orbit.

I'd be more careful next time.

I agree, I barely had time to cover one of my nostrils, one propelled enough air to hit the HOX and break it , the other one caused an implosion which almost made my ears explode and my brain bounce uncontrollably.

After a lot of searching looks like changing the screen is better left to brain surgeons and as I am out of warranty I better take this with humor and accept it as a war wound.
20th August 2012, 10:37 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 307

716 posts
More
If gorrila glass still considered poor quality, i advise you to invent any substitute to replaced it. I would be much appreciate if you done that.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread