trouble rooting and running CM9

Search This thread

benj123

Aug 21, 2012
After a bunch of trouble yesterday I was able to setup Revolutionary and root my phone with tacoroot, or at least I think I rooted it. Then I found CM9 that people were posting in these forums. I loaded the CM9 and the google apps market thing into the sdcard with adb and installed it. Then I restarted my phone and it couldn't make it past the CM9 welcome screen.

Then this morning I was reading online and I found something that suggested that I need to update the radio so I pushed PG32IMG.zip with adb and now it seems to be locked in a boot cycle with HBOOT. When I get into the bootloader it tires to update the radio but when I try to just load my phone it gets stuck at the CM9 welcome animation.

VIVO_W XB SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT-6.13.1002
RADIO-1.09.01.0722
eMMC-boot

Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Could this problem come from me not installing super user access? The tutorials I followed didn't have something that said to do it and it wasn't a step in the process. I think there is probably access because I have S-Off; however, I did buy this phone used and the previous owner could have rooted it and then reverted it back to Sense.

Last edited:

prototype7

Apr 16, 2012
New Hampshire
Plug in the phone and turn it on normally, when it gets to the boot animation use the command "adb shell rm /mnt/sdcard/PG32IMG.zip" then try redownloading and flashing the radio and flashing cm9, you don't need to worry about root, cm9 is already rooted.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: benj123

benj123

Aug 21, 2012
Plug in the phone and turn it on normally, when it gets to the boot animation use the command "adb shell rm /mnt/sdcard/PG32IMG.zip" then try redownloading and flashing the radio and flashing cm9, you don't need to worry about root, cm9 is already rooted.

It says "rm failed for /mnt/sdcard/PG32IMG.zip, Permission denied"

C:\>adb shell rm /mnt/sdcard/PG32IMG.zip
rm failed for /mnt/sdcard/PG32IMG.zip, Permission denied

C:\>adb shell
shell@android:/ $ rm /mnt/sdcard/PG32IMG.zip
rm /mnt/sdcard/PG32IMG.zip
255|shell@android:/ $ su
su
Permission denied
1|shell@android:/ $ Error type 2
android.util.AndroidException: Can't connect to activity manager; is the system
running?
at com.android.commands.am.Am.run(Am.java:99)
at com.android.commands.am.Am.main(Am.java:80)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.finishInit(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit.main(RuntimeInit.java:238)
at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

Last edited:

prototype7

Apr 16, 2012
New Hampshire

Try this:
Code:
adb shell
su

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Just saw your edit, while it's bootlooping type "adb reboot recovery" then try reflashing cm9, make sure you wipe everything.

benj123

Aug 21, 2012
Just saw your edit, while it's bootlooping type "adb reboot recovery" then try reflashing cm9, make sure you wipe everything.

Should I wipe the SD card? When I was trying to flash I had been wiping the cache partition and the Dalvik cache. I never wiped the battery status.

Edit: Sorry I should have added that I've already tried installing CM9 a couple of times with various versions and they all seem to get stuck at the loading animation. Yesterday I downgraded from 2.3.4 to 2.3.3 and then rooted it. Then I tried to install CM9. Do I need to wipe the OS partition prior to installing?

Edit2: Do you mean I should do a "wipe data/factory reset" to wipe all the user data? I hadn't been doing that before when I had been trying to install CM9

Last edited:

prototype7

Apr 16, 2012
New Hampshire
Should I wipe the SD card? When I was trying to flash I had been wiping the cache partition and the Dalvik cache. I never wiped the battery status.

Edit: Sorry I should have added that I've already tried installing CM9 a couple of times with various versions and they all seem to get stuck at the loading animation. Yesterday I downgraded from 2.3.4 to 2.3.3 and then rooted it. Then I tried to install CM9. Do I need to wipe the OS partition prior to installing?

What version are you installing?

benj123

Aug 21, 2012

I'm trying to install an unofficial CM9. Whatever ones I found in the forums. A lot of the links to downloads from a few months ago don't work anymore so I've had to scavenge around to find some.

I have cm-9-20120712-UNOFFICIAL-vivow.zip and cm-9-20120816-UNOFFICIAL-vivow.zip

benj123

Aug 21, 2012
I fixed it. I feel like an idiot. My problem was that I just didn't wipe the user data. I must have missed that step in the tutorials and thought that clearing it was part of the install.

Thanks!

agapedisciple

Jun 16, 2010
I fixed it. I feel like an idiot. My problem was that I just didn't wipe the user data. I must have missed that step in the tutorials and thought that clearing it was part of the install.

Thanks!
Did that fix the bootloop? I'm having a boot loop issue after following this guide. I'm S-OFF, but i get an error when I try to flash the radio in fastboot. "fastboot flash zip 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip"

I get the msg: FAILED (remote not allowed)

EDIT 1: weird. i kept getting bootloops after OS would load. I tried to flash the Radio and got the error below:

C:\miniadb_inc2>fastboot flash zip 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip
sending 'zip' (13225 KB)... OKAY [ 3.312s]
writing 'zip'... FAILED (remote: not allowed)

In recovery, I wiped the data (factory reset) and cache. Then it boot fine. I turned off fast boot and turned on usb debugging (not needed for fastboot usb) and I still get the failure above. Any ideas why I can't flash the Radio.

Also, do I really need to flash the radio as the OP stated? I've currently got:
HBOOT-6.13.1002
RADIO-1.09.01.0622

EDIT 2: I just rebooted and I'm back in a bootloop. As soon as the OS loads, it reboots.

EDIT 3: I got it working. I just needed to follow scotty's guide and flash from the oem rebootRUU state.
fastboot erase cache

fastboot oem rebootRUU

fastboot flash zip 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip (when you checked it above with the md5sums command,it matched right?)

fastboot reboot-bootloader (make sure your baseband changed)

fastboot reboot

Last edited:

benj123

Aug 21, 2012
Sorry man I have no clue. I just got my first android yesterday so I'm very new to this whole rooting thing. If go into the bootloader then my phone still tries to update the radio. I'm just going to manually delete the file one of these days on my computer when the sdcard is out of the phone

Baloeb

Jul 30, 2012
Did that fix the bootloop? I'm having a boot loop issue after following this guide. I'm S-OFF, but i get an error when I try to flash the radio in fastboot. "fastboot flash zip 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip"

I get the msg: FAILED (remote not allowed)

EDIT 1: weird. i kept getting bootloops after OS would load. I tried to flash the Radio and got the error below:

C:\miniadb_inc2>fastboot flash zip 1.09.01.0312_vivow_Radio_PG32IMG.zip
sending 'zip' (13225 KB)... OKAY [ 3.312s]
writing 'zip'... FAILED (remote: not allowed)

In recovery, I wiped the data (factory reset) and cache. Then it boot fine. I turned off fast boot and turned on usb debugging (not needed for fastboot usb) and I still get the failure above. Any ideas why I can't flash the Radio.

Also, do I really need to flash the radio as the OP stated? I've currently got:
HBOOT-6.13.1002
RADIO-1.09.01.0622

EDIT 2: I just rebooted and I'm back in a bootloop. As soon as the OS loads, it reboots.

You need to rename the file to just PG32IMG.zip and install it from hboot.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using xda app-developers app

agapedisciple

Jun 16, 2010
You need to rename the file to just PG32IMG.zip and install it from hboot.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using xda app-developers app
I finally got it working the other night. I guess my EDIT 3 didn't work then, so i just added it again. I try to flash everything via USB instead of sdcard now, b/c I get more reliable results and I don't have to keep swapping the sdcard. :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Try this:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------