Note 10.1 as USB Wacom for PC?

Search This thread

JTG81

Jan 18, 2011
sydney
So I'm not in anyway a developer/coder but don't wacom tablets connect via plugins can't they be implemented into an android app somehow so creative suite will recognise it in the same way, I mean I'm not after something fancy just the ability to use the tablet and spen to draw with pressure sensitivity and select tools, having short cuts and to the tablet screen would be a bonus but the basic ability to just plug it in and draw would be Awsome. As said don't no the first thing about code so is probably not as easy as I imagine just my thoughts on it.

Bystorm

Sep 19, 2012
So I'm not in anyway a developer/coder but don't wacom tablets connect via plugins can't they be implemented into an android app somehow so creative suite will recognise it in the same way, I mean I'm not after something fancy just the ability to use the tablet and spen to draw with pressure sensitivity and select tools, having short cuts and to the tablet screen would be a bonus but the basic ability to just plug it in and draw would be Awsome. As said don't no the first thing about code so is probably not as easy as I imagine just my thoughts on it.

Or just get Air Display. I do know of a hack someone did do concerning this, but this app turns the Note 10.1 into a mini Cintiq without much fuss.

The only drawback is the lack of pressure sensitivity, so its great if you do it for doodles, just not for anything in depth unfortunately.

EDIT: I also got to recommend the Intuos3. I got one from my aunt and all I had to do was get a pen and it works like a charm. The only thing thats a disadvantage is the lack of a screen, but it gets easy to get used to once your mind is properly synced to the concept of indirect sketching.

Get a used one if you can and go for it if you cannot get a workable solution working with the Note. Also consider using Sketchbook Pro on the tablet and export the initial sketches to the PC in order for further edits and anything else extensive as well.

Last edited:

JTG81

Jan 18, 2011
sydney
Or just get Air Display. I do know of a hack someone did do concerning this, but this app turns the Note 10.1 into a mini Cintiq without much fuss.

The only drawback is the lack of pressure sensitivity, so its great if you do it for doodles, just not for anything in depth unfortunately.

EDIT: I also got to recommend the Intuos3. I got one from my aunt and all I had to do was get a pen and it works like a charm. The only thing thats a disadvantage is the lack of a screen, but it gets easy to get used to once your mind is properly synced to the concept of indirect sketching.

Get a used one if you can and go for it if you cannot get a workable solution working with the Note. Also consider using Sketchbook Pro on the tablet and export the initial sketches to the PC in order for further edits and anything else extensive as well.

Yeah already using sbp I just like the idea of a device that does everything, Like the idea of technology altering me to get rid of devices rather than have multiple.

jsparakov

Aug 23, 2009
This seems like an obvious feature to have, but I'm guessing there's an artificial barrier made to protect Wacom's primary business of selling standalone digitizers. Connecting to PC via wifi is not practical due to latency issues and dropped input signals. It doesn't make sense to take a journey from tablet to router to pc in this application. It's just in need of a software solution via USB. Hopefully Wacom and Samsung make a business decision to increase the value of Samsung tablets even further. I would buy their next iteration in a heartbeat!

starbuckk

Nov 20, 2011
All of the apps that attempt to do this rely on wifi. In addition to other comments here, most public wifi's prohibit contact between devices. So these things can't be used at hotels etc.

Need Bluetooth or USB.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Mr Andreas

Apr 20, 2012
Just a few thoughts of mine to add to the mix. You see, I've been looking for an Android/Windows solution that replicates a Wacom Cintiq especially on an S-Pen-enabled device. And yes, such a solution would have to be pressure-sensitive to be of any real use to me. But, so far, I've not found anything that does what I want. The things that I've thought of in the process are as follows...

There are a lot of "remote" mice apps out there as well as remote desktop apps but none of them are pressure sensitive, which, in my mind, would be the easiest way to achieve the illusion of a Wacom Cintiq. I think the quickest way to achieve this is to extend VNC with pen support both in a VNC server and in an Android client.

About using WiFi versus USB. A lot of the remote mice work over WiFi and provide no lag mainly because they don't have to redraw the host's screen. But then lag doesn't seem to be that much of an issue with a lot of the remote desktop apps either, so I would say that an app that acts as a Wacom Cintiq clone is feasible. In fact, the quality doesn't have to be that great either, after all, the resolution on a Cintiq isn't very good, it is more there to provide a reference and some visual feedback to where the pen is; hence the proposed app could ask for a down-scaled version of the host's screen as an option for speed. In fact, as an additional option, the host could be made to transmit only the image of the active window or a predefined area of the screen.

In my opinion, having just some visual feedback on the surface I draw on is better than a perfect reproduction of the image on the screen. After all, my digitizer (a Wacom Intuos 5 touch with the wireless module) doesn't provide any visual feedback on its surface and yet people draw some amazing art using drawing tablets like it.

About writing a Windows driver, especially one that allowed the proposed app to communicate over USB. Yes, that would be the ideal solution but the easiest solution would be to write a little server application that sat in the tray on Windows and communicated with the Android app and Windows by sending Windows pen messages to the operating system. This is in fact what most of the remote mice apps' servers do (OK, to be pedantic they just send standard mouse messages, not pen ones, but a Windows message is a Windows message). Sure, some of these remote mice apps may come with proper Windows drivers but most don't. Why? Because, as people have pointed out, it's difficult to write one (especially with USB support).

The one flaw with the model of having to run some Windows software first (one that isn't a service) is that the software is unavailable on the login screen on Windows so one has to use the keyboard, but it really isn't such a big deal. I, for one, prefer to type on a real keyboard anyway. :)

-Andreas

I've tested TwoMonUSB with my Galaxy Note 4.

Here's my 2 cents:

Performance is amazing. No lag when using it as a mirror screen to control the cursor on the Mac.
When used as a second screen, almost no lag in the phone.

Still, it's no perfect solution for two reasons:
No pressure sensitivity.
And to move the cursor, the s-pen has to be touching the screen, no hover support. A deal breaker when trying to control the main screen.

But if in the second screen mode, you can use the tablet/phone screen for photoshop and everything else with no problem.
It is the closest we can get, so far.

Hopefully, Avatron, Duet or Astro will come up with a real solution soon.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1/
    The USB protocol includes the HID device class, which any USB device can claim to be. Within the HID device class is a category for digitizers. When an OS finds a USB device plugged in that claims to be an HID digitizer, the basic drivers in the OD take the info (X, Y, pressure, tilt, etc) that the device provides, and makes it available through it's own APIs. In Windows, the Windows Ink API does this. It's pretty recent, and I don't think too many applications use it.

2/
    The device can have a custom device driver, which communicates with another subsystem running on the host machine (on Windows it's called wintab), which then communicates with applications like Photoshop. Wintab exposes an API to applications to allow them to get events and info from the digitizer. Wintab is maintained by Wacom and is an open industry standard. Most hardcore stylus apps (photoshop, corel draw etc) use wintab to get stylus info.

The Wacom engineer told me that writing a device driver that will communicate with wintab is a very difficult and long process, and usually takes hardware manufacturers years.
    On the other hand, exposing the Note's SPen data (X, Y, pressure) as a USB HID device is equally difficult - it requires writing some kind of virtual USB device driver, which fools windows into thinking a real USB HID digitizer is attached. This would also only make the SPen data available through Windows Ink, which would be useless for everyone uses real stylus applications.

So basically, this project is not very possible, unless someone can come up with a very clever way around all these problems.
    In the meantime, I'm going to write a very simple S Pen compatible VNC client for Galaxy Note. VNC servers are cross platform (I use Ubuntu & Windows) and VNC clients are very straightforward. With SPen and palm rejection, this could at least allow someone to use the Galaxy Note as a drawing tablet, albeit with no pressure sensitivity.
    For what its worth, it may be possible to get this working under Linux with a little less effort than Windows. Linux has a "uinput" driver that lets userspace programs (e.g. a daemon listening on a network port for pen data) create virtual input devices. There's even a "Python-uinput" library that promises to make whipping up a something even easier. From there, evdev or xf86-input-wacom should be capable of using the virtual device without too many roadbumps.

I'm a little tempted to hack together a proof-of-concept, but I kinda doubt there's enough interest to be worthwhile.

JigPu
    I was also thinking if pressure sensitivity would work through RDP/VNC - that would allow using desktop paiting apps on tablet (although with some limitation - RDP/VNC mostly has less colors and some lag).

That's what I was thinking of. I know the remote desktop clients are a little laggy on tablets and maybe not ideal, but at the very least it would be fun to paint with the Note on my PC. I don't know how small the market is for using this tablet like a wacom pad, and the note 10.1 is kind of niche on it's own, but for people like me who draw casually and don't want to drop more cash on a wacom it's ideal.
    Getting a Galaxy Note at the end of the week, this is the first thing that crossed my mind, if it could double as a Cintiq. My best guess is that its possible, specially considering the power inside the tablet, and maybe a usb 3.0 connection -____- Still haven't seen any sofware up to it though. I would gladly pay for any software that enabled this. Otherwise, I guess Sketchbook Pro for Android will do, I have used it with a capacitive stylus (ugh) and it did ok, can't wait to get Wacom superpowers on the go =) I also own an old HP PC tablet with an active digitizer, but its to heavy lo lug around daily, and a wacom bamboo for my PC tower, so I have high expectations on this. I just cannot wait to put my hands on the Note.

BTW for the phone Note, there is this, dunno if it works on the tablet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_JeueI7aLE

Wow, see this:
    http://www.piip.lv/galaxy_note_digitizer_graphics_tablet_for_pc.html

And at another tread, Angelo Troedhan told us about app "Unified Remote" , I think soon we would have full cintiq powers and use our device also with desktop software.
    Hi Everyone,

I registered on xda-developers just to post on this thread. I'm getting into Android app development, and I will be getting a Galaxy Note 10.1 in a few days. Like many others, one of the first ideas that came to mind after playing around with the Note was finding a way to use it as a writing tablet (WACOM style) for PC. I do a lot of tutoring and having an affordable way to provide a screencast of what I'm drawing to students when working out a problem or teaching would be very useful for me.

I'm planning on writing a simple app to let Note users control their PCs with the S Pen. From there, using some PC based software to transmit a screencast over skype for example should be straightforward. I think the most difficult part will be getting pressure sensitivity information to the PC and into applications, since usual ways of emulating input are just to control the mouse pointer position, and button and keypresses.

I'm not sure how long it'll take, but it's nice to know that there are other people out there who would be interested in this kind of functionality.

Wow, it You succeed You would be a lotta people's heroe including me :laugh:

As I wrote in my OP on this issue the way to a full functional Wacom dig tab function of Note 10.1 could be managed like THIS:

Basic prerequisites:

Note 10.1's digitizer FACTUALLY IS a WaCom digitizer ! I have the Bamboo digitizer connected to my PC via the wireless USB dongle.

Step one:

Download "Bamboo" drivers to PC

Step two:

Write a WiFi and Bluetooth connection interface for Note 10.1 to transmit digitizer info from Note 10.1 to the installed PC drivers via WiFi or Bluetooth

Step three:

Create an app for Note 10.1 that resembles the physical surface of the Bamboo dig tab including multi-touch input (e.g. two-three and four finger swipe functionality) and the four hardware buttons.

?.................... could You finish this over the weekend please ..............? :laugh::good::laugh::laugh:
    Maybe this link can be useful?

I looked at that link, it looks like the software part of the development kit isn't available online, only by email if you buy the hardware development kit.

I did a bunch more research and talked to an engineer at Wacom USA, and I think I have a fairly good picture of how this whole thing works.
    Essentially, Wacom tablets are USB devices. There are two ways a digitizer tablet can get its information into an application.

1/
    The USB protocol includes the HID device class, which any USB device can claim to be. Within the HID device class is a category for digitizers. When an OS finds a USB device plugged in that claims to be an HID digitizer, the basic drivers in the OD take the info (X, Y, pressure, tilt, etc) that the device provides, and makes it available through it's own APIs. In Windows, the Windows Ink API does this. It's pretty recent, and I don't think too many applications use it.

2/
    The device can have a custom device driver, which communicates with another subsystem running on the host machine (on Windows it's called wintab), which then communicates with applications like Photoshop. Wintab exposes an API to applications to allow them to get events and info from the digitizer. Wintab is maintained by Wacom and is an open industry standard. Most hardcore stylus apps (photoshop, corel draw etc) use wintab to get stylus info.

The Wacom engineer told me that writing a device driver that will communicate with wintab is a very difficult and long process, and usually takes hardware manufacturers years.
    On the other hand, exposing the Note's SPen data (X, Y, pressure) as a USB HID device is equally difficult - it requires writing some kind of virtual USB device driver, which fools windows into thinking a real USB HID digitizer is attached. This would also only make the SPen data available through Windows Ink, which would be useless for everyone uses real stylus applications.

So basically, this project is not very possible, unless someone can come up with a very clever way around all these problems.
    In the meantime, I'm going to write a very simple S Pen compatible VNC client for Galaxy Note. VNC servers are cross platform (I use Ubuntu & Windows) and VNC clients are very straightforward. With SPen and palm rejection, this could at least allow someone to use the Galaxy Note as a drawing tablet, albeit with no pressure sensitivity.