General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

mikef

Retired Senior Moderator
Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair

OTAw

May 27, 2012
Chicago
Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)

Last edited:

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

The galaxy tab 2 10.1 is a pretty good tablet but it just seems a bit bland to me. Mainly because there wasn't much difference from the original galaxy tab 10.1.
The Nexus 7 is a little beast of a tablet though, so that could always be an option for you.
But if you wanna stay with Galaxy, then it's probably best to wait for the Note 2 like you said.

TeeJay3800

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 31, 2009
Michigan
I have doubts that this will cut down on the many "which device should I buy" threads in this forum, but here's hoping! Ideally, this thread will be used for all such questions. If so, I may sticky it so anyone coming to Q&A looking for advice on which new device to buy will see it.

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
I have doubts that this will cut down on the many "which device should I buy" threads in this forum, but here's hoping! Ideally, this thread will be used for all such questions. If so, I may sticky it so anyone coming to Q&A looking for advice on which new device to buy will see it.
Well obviously I'm hoping for that to be the case.
But we'll just have to wait and see at the moment. Other new threads could always be merged into here, I suppose.

OTAw

May 27, 2012
Chicago
The galaxy tab 2 10.1 is a pretty good tablet but it just seems a bit bland to me. Mainly because there wasn't much difference from the original galaxy tab 10.1.
The Nexus 7 is a little beast of a tablet though, so that could always be an option for you.
But if you wanna stay with Galaxy, then it's probably best to wait for the Note 2 like you said.

My mistake, didn't realize until now I meant the galaxy NOTE 10.1, lol. That seems like a sexy little beast! But the tab 2 doesn't seem too bad for a first time tablet device either.. for the price at least

Last edited:

ka-la

Aug 22, 2012
To buy Nexus 7 or wait for Microsoft Surface?

The question is really if the Surface will be cheaper than I bet it'll be (under 500)
Nexus 7 seems like awesome tablet, but I think it might be too small for me , but im not really sure, since I never owned a tablet, and where I live I cant go and see any 7 inch tablets in store.

So what you thnik, should I go for Nexus 7 or wait? Or better yet, is there more choices for cheap and quality android tablets?

ka-la

Aug 22, 2012
7 inch tablets seem like an odd size to me. Not really big enough for the things I would use it for to replace a laptop, but too big to replace my phone.

You are totally right, but now to think other way: its easier to carry 7inch than 10inch tablet.

Also forgot to mention I have some problems with eyesight so bigger tablet might also be better choice, But the nexus 7 price really seems like a good selling point. But if the Surface RT will be 200, then I probably going to miss my money too much.

Reactions: eli? and jaidev2903

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
You are totally right, but now to think other way: its easier to carry 7inch than 10inch tablet.

Also forgot to mention I have some problems with eyesight so bigger tablet might also be better choice, But the nexus 7 price really seems like a good selling point. But if the Surface RT will be 200, then I probably going to miss my money too much.
It depends on when you're going to be using it mainly. If you're out quite a lot of the time, then the Nexus 7 is probably going to be the easiest choice, because of carrying it around.
But if you're more often at home, then the Surface might be better for you because it's a 10.6 inch screen so it makes it easier for your eyes.

Another thing to consider is the operating systems. The Surface will be running Windows 8, but I'm not too sure what that's like to use.
And the Nexus is on Jellybean, it's definitely going to get the upgrade to Key Lime Pie and possibly the update after that aswell.

So, even though the Surface does seem like it'll be right up there with the best of them, I'd suggest the Nexus to be honest. It just seems like the best choice overall.

ka-la

Aug 22, 2012
It depends on when you're going to be using it mainly. If you're out quite a lot of the time, then the Nexus 7 is probably going to be the easiest choice, because of carrying it around.
But if you're more often at home, then the Surface might be better for you because it's a 10.6 inch screen so it makes it easier for your eyes.

Another thing to consider is the operating systems. The Surface will be running Windows 8, but I'm not too sure what that's like to use.
And the Nexus is on Jellybean, it's definitely going to get the upgrade to Key Lime Pie and possibly the update after that aswell.

So, even though the Surface does seem like it'll be right up there with the best of them, I'd suggest the Nexus to be honest. It just seems like the best choice overall.

I might get the nexus 7, if I dont like it I could probably sell it here in Estonia for the money I would get it (from US.).
Also should be mentioned that I dont own a laptop or anything else to carry around, at home I use my desktop, and I dont go out too often, but I think nexus would be nice in school and so on.

Also all these old awesome titles (gta 3, max payne) are made for android these days which I really loved back then, are better to play on 7 inch than 10.6 (better to hold, easier) .

So I think i go for nexus 7, but I hope that I dont get the broken one (from first or second branch), because I couldnt take it back.

Reactions: eli?

leventccc

Jan 31, 2011
Istanbul
I will buy a tablet but I am not sure which. Note 10.1 or Nexus 7? I think nexus 7 is too small as a 4.7 inch phone user but not sure about it. But I want to have pure google experience. Is nexus 7 really that small or not? I'm stuck :(

Last edited:

idoavni99

Jan 23, 2012
Tel-Aviv
I thought about bying the Xiaomi M2 or the Galaxy nexus and i cant pick it since the M2 has better hardware and it is smaller but only MIUI can be installed on him unlike the galaxy nexus which has a huge variety of roms.

happydolphin

Feb 25, 2012
In my opinion, a 7 inch tablet is the best for portability and viewing. It feels comfortable to hold with one hand, but it comes down to your personal preference really.

Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: eli? and Kobro

a.cid

RC / Retired Mod / Portal Team
Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
One of my friends asked me for suggestion...
His budget isn't all that big, with a max cap of 15000 inr (~275 usd, though the indian customs are notorious for high taxes; the s3 costs around 38000 inr = 690 usd; so hope you get the picture)
Mainly looking for a low budget android, maybe even a mid end device...

All he needs is "the latest android" on which he can play games...but I know about the quirks that come with a low end phone: inadequate internal mem, low cpu & gpu, lack of official upgrade support...the list kinda goes on...

I have zeroed on sony's live with walkman, mainly for the fact that it gives the most value for money...
The more the money saved + better features; the more likely choice it would be...
If anybody has better suggestions, please share them...

Brands present in india: Samsung, Htc, Sony, Micromax and smaller presence of Motorola and Huawei...
There is no contract system available here, neither are "subsidies" or such...

- Via xda premium

ka-la

Aug 22, 2012
One of my friends asked me for suggestion...
His budget isn't all that big, with a max cap of 15000 inr (~275 usd, though the indian customs are notorious for high taxes; the s3 costs around 38000 inr = 690 usd; so hope you get the picture)
Mainly looking for a low budget android, maybe even a mid end device...

All he needs is "the latest android" on which he can play games...but I know about the quirks that come with a low end phone: inadequate internal mem, low cpu & gpu, lack of official upgrade support...the list kinda goes on...

I have zeroed on sony's live with walkman, mainly for the fact that it gives the most value for money...
The more the money saved + better features; the more likely choice it would be...
If anybody has better suggestions, please share them...

Brands present in india: Samsung, Htc, Sony, Micromax and smaller presence of Motorola and Huawei...
There is no contract system available here, neither are "subsidies" or such...

- Via xda premium

Xperia U perhaps? Should get the 4.0 soon (if already has'nt)

stephb89

Jul 19, 2012
S3

My next phone is going to be the S3!! I wish Samsung would stop making the phone bigger though...when I first got the S2 I got made fun of because how big it is although it's very thin...I don't see what's the point of going bigger...

Reactions: eli? and pronasit

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    so, what can you recommend for me? pixel 7a?
    The 7a is amazing. I have a a 6a (daily driver) and a 4a5g and they're really smooth. Only real concern is the battery life - it isn't great; however, Pixel software is amazingly fluid.

OnePlus 12R is another option if you care more about performance and battery than camera (which can be hit or miss on the 12R) but it comes with ColorOS (OxygenOS).

Also maybe the Moto ThinkPhone (if you can find it on sale; here in the US it's almost always at $400) and it has a decent camera, great battery life, clean Android, and a Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1.
    Pixel 6A, Xiaomi 12X, Asus Zenfone 9 cons disadvantages

Friends,
    have You got any experiences with those phones and ROM like AOSP: LinkageOS, Paranoid etc ?
    Asus can be with stock rom.

I'm searching smartfone with max lenght 155 mm, battery min 4,4 Ah and possibility to install AOSP Android, especially for Xiaomi models.
    Rather without rounded display edge..
    Actually Asus Zenfone 10/11, Xiaomi 13/14 is too expensive and difficult to get from second hand.
    They're all great, but steer clear of the Zenfone if you want custom ROMs (they pulled the unlock tool). I have a 6a and it is fast and smooth but the 12X should be a great phone (SD870 is good and it has more RAM).

I'd say choose a 12X if it's an option...
    I can't believe it's been so long since I joined, and posted an intro. I still have the same phone, and I need to "upgrade" badly. This sounds like the right thread to ask.

First, I'm looking for suggestions to replace a Galaxy S7, SM-G930W8 (Exynos).
    My main uses for a mobile phone are: texting, email, web browsing/streaming (eg: youtube), "tools" apps - eg: unit converters/calculators, and some..specific apps like TrolMaster (indoor gardening, at/for work) and Appliance apps - eg: Danby, etc., video/music listening - eg: VLC, and taking photos. I sometimes like to connect a usb microscope to it via usb OTG
    The camera on my S7 has been broken for years. I'm struggling without it. I have to ask roommate to use phone for their camera.
    I'd like expandable storage, have manufacturers completely removed that option now too?

Forgive my incorrect terminology; I want something "unlocked"(?) or easily unlockable (bootloader, right?), that I can put a custom ROM on (Calyx, or Lineage are two that interest me), good camera (I don't need the latest triple lense, 5-dimensional, 8K camera. But I don't wan't worse than what the S7 has - including video capabilities such as 1080p 60fps if possible). Headphone jack please (though I do finally have BT headphones now). USB-C charging would be nice. I would be ok with the same or larger size/screen as S7.
    And I'm not looking to buy a brand new "flagship" $1800 phone either. I think I bought this S7 used, a few years old/after release for maybe $300-400 cad.
    I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Thank you.

Edit: Where are some online sources to buy quality used phones? Like Pixel phones, for example. If there are any.
    The best place to buy used devices depends on where you live.

Here in the United States Swappa and Back Market are great (BackMarket is also available in a few other countries). Based on your usage of the Canadian dollar I'd assume you live in Canada in which case eBay refurbished is your best option.

Most phones from the past ~3 years don't have expandable storage (Samsung A series does but also has no ROMs) oZr headphone jacks (enfones had them but they pulled their bootloader unlock tool so you can't ROM them anymore).

I'd say get a used Pixel 7 Pro or 7 and flash Lineage on it, it'd serve you well for the next few years (here is a link to a used 7 for about 350 CAD on eBay Canada). (edit: it's already out of stock)

OnePlus 12 vs Xiaomi 13 Ultra vs Xiaomi 14

I can get OnePlus 12 or Xiaomi 13 Ultra or Xiaomi 14 at similar price around 700 dollars in my region. For my important aspects are:
    1. Display: My eyes are a little bit sensitive to PWM, but it's relatively acceptable to me with the "Аnti-flicker" option in Xiaomi OS, but it's not perfectly

2. Root and mod friendly: official/unofficial custom roms and mods by OnePlus/Xiaomi fan groups ( which fan group has more development in this aspect)

3. Camera: I'm interested in who has offer the better hardware and therefore the possibility of improvement by software (GCAM) as well as modifications by fan groups

1.As far as I can find both phones Xiaomi 13 Ultra and Xiaomi 14 run at 1920 Hz under 50% brightness, I'm not shure when Oneplus 12 switch to 2160 Hz PWM and which one is better in this aspect.

2. I am not familiar with the oneplus fangroup and how root/custom roms/mods friendly it is compare to Xiaomi

3. Through the GCAM I manage to get more satisfactory photos and videos to my taste with my custom settings both through GCAM and through Modded MI Cam from my old Xiaomi smartphone, don't know how is with Oneplus

I find all other specs almost similar
    OnePlus is pretty root/rom friendly (more than Xiaomi these days) and GCam ports for the 12 are available (see this XDA post for more info). I'd say it's personal preference but the OP will definitely get more ROMs if that's what you're after.
    Hey all,
    Looking to replace my OnePlus 7 Pro.
    tl;dr Most importantly (if such a thing exists) i need Call Recordings to be possible without Root
    I'm mainly looking for a clear Android experience (Oxygen OS is a good example), a decent phone, no need for any bells/whistles.

My work requires all sorts of apps and the CISO is being a pain about using a rooted phone, I'm willing to forge adblocking, but giving up on call recordings (Which saved my ass in court 3 times so far) is a big no no.

thanks!
    Most Galaxies allow call recording, and new OnePlus phones do too. However, I wouldn't call modern Oxygen or OneUI close to stock, so you could also try CubeACR on a phone that doesn't have the feature (e.g a Pixel)
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz