Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,220 Members 44,820 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] Build CyanogenMod 11.0 for Nexus 7

Tip us?
 
MusicNutt
Old
#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2012
As a linux nerd, I thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to MusicNutt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
fattire
Old
(Last edited by fattire; 23rd August 2012 at 01:42 AM.) Reason: grammar
#12  
fattire's Avatar
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 4391
Posts: 1,522
Join Date: Oct 2010
Info 2 TWRP2 instead of CWM

So we're back in the Android Development forum.

Update: I hear there's a non-N7-specific permissions issue (the build sets perm 0600 on /tmp) when building TWRP2 in jellybean source. Until this is resolved, consider the below purely informational. In other words, don't try it yet until the code is updated. (Thanks, eyeballer for letting me know)

-----

Here's another quick tip-- if you want to build TWRP2 recovery instead of ClockworkMod recovery for the Nexus 7, add the following two lines to the local_manifest.xml file (where the similar-looking lines are):

<remove-project name="CyanogenMod/android_bootable_recovery" />
<project path="bootable/recovery" name="TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project" remote="github" revision="master"/>


Assuming I typed that right, when you repo sync, this will replace the cwm source with the twrp source. When you then do your next build, your recovery.img in $OUT will be TWRP2. It can then be flashed with fastboot per the instructions.
The Following User Says Thank You to fattire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
h00py
Old
#13  
h00py's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 54
Posts: 205
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Glasgow
Build competed & flashed with no problems.

/proud
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LAt0D (1).jpg
Views:	1358
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	1276705  
 
fattire
Old
(Last edited by fattire; 23rd August 2012 at 03:11 AM.)
#14  
fattire's Avatar
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 4391
Posts: 1,522
Join Date: Oct 2010
Tablet Welcome to the club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00py View Post
Build competed & flashed with no problems.

/proud
Woo! Congrats!

Now that you have your build going, you can try out some of the experimental commits that are sitting on CyanogenMod's code review site. These are commits with new features and bugfixes that may be experimental but need people to try them and report back if they work or not.

If you're interested in risking everything, first go to review.cyanogenmod.com AKA Gerrett and find a proposed commit that looks interesting. Read any comments or caveats that may apply, and have a look at the code itself to make sure it looks okay. Each proposed commit is part of a specific git project, listed under "Project", that correspond to directories in your source code. For example, CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_base corresponds to the repository in frameworks/base.

To try one, click on the little brown icon halfway down the web page under Downloads, on the right. This will copy the instructions to the left to the copy buffer. Then, cd to the appropriate repository directory in your source code and paste the command. It should download and commit the patch. You can check it by typing "git log" and looking for the commit at the top of the list.

If all went well, you can rebuild and hopefully will see your change in the new build. The next time you repo sync, the commit you made will be lost (unless the proposed commit actually was merged into mainstream), so if you want it again, you'll need to re-download it using the method described above.

That's it! Way to stay bleeding edge!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fattire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Rafase282
Old
#15  
Rafase282's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 319
Posts: 1,535
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bronx

 
DONATE TO ME
Hello, I have never built a rom from source before but I will use this guide and try it out. Specially since I want to use linaro.

Do you think you could link me or help me get this working? As far as I understand instead of using g++ or so I woudl use the linaro tools to compile and so. How much different would this be from your instructions?

How can I get linaro?

I'll be researching into this but I hope you can provide an answer.

Phone: Google Nexus 4 with CM 10.1 and Motley's kernel
Tablet: Nexus 7 with CM 10.1 and Motley's kernel & Ubuntu 12.10
Backup devices: LG G2X (Cm7 & CM10.1), Nexus One (Evervol 4.2.x).
Help me out Get Dropbox!

My Contributions:

T-Mobile G2X
LewaOS Port
MokeeOS Port
LiguxOS Port
Unbrick your G2X, Baseband guides

If I have helped you in any way please hit the thanks button or consider a donation.
 
fattire
Old
#16  
fattire's Avatar
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 4391
Posts: 1,522
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafase282 View Post
Hello, I have never built a rom from source before but I will use this guide and try it out. Specially since I want to use linaro.

Do you think you could link me or help me get this working? As far as I understand instead of using g++ or so I woudl use the linaro tools to compile and so. How much different would this be from your instructions?

How can I get linaro?

I'll be researching into this but I hope you can provide an answer.
I built linaro optimized cm9 for nookcolor (OMAP3) a few months back (thread starts around here). Some of the linaro optimizations to libc and the frameworks already have been added to the ICS source and I assume the Jellybean source has it already too for CM10 (and they have been adopted upstream by Google I believe as well). I haven't tried to build the grouper kernel using 4.7-- the 2.6.32 kernel and 3.0.8 kernels for NT and NC required a few minor changes-- the grouper kernel may or may not need them... but I know what to do if someone wants to try it.

Before trying linaro stuff, I would focus first on getting the build to work normally. Familiarize yourself with the process, and then investigate linaro. The system is so ridiculously fast IMO... I guess even faster is better, but I don't have any complaints
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fattire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Rafase282
Old
#17  
Rafase282's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 319
Posts: 1,535
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bronx

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattire View Post
I built linaro optimized cm9 for nookcolor (OMAP3) a few months back (thread starts around here). Some of the linaro optimizations to libc and the frameworks already have been added to the ICS source and I assume the Jellybean source has it already too for CM10 (and they have been adopted upstream by Google I believe as well). I haven't tried to build the grouper kernel using 4.7-- the 2.6.32 kernel and 3.0.8 kernels for NT and NC required a few minor changes-- the grouper kernel may or may not need them... but I know what to do if someone wants to try it.

Before trying linaro stuff, I would focus first on getting the build to work normally. Familiarize yourself with the process, and then investigate linaro. The system is so ridiculously fast IMO... I guess even faster is better, but I don't have any complaints
I'm currently downloading source. It is taking its sweet time. ... nvm it just finished.

But I'm going to try to build and if everything goes well I will check into "cherry picking" and make my own personal custom build. I want to use linaro for the rom and kernel.

---------- Post added at 06:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattire View Post
So we're back in the Android Development forum.

Update: I hear there's a non-N7-specific permissions issue (the build sets perm 0600 on /tmp) when building TWRP2 in jellybean source. Until this is resolved, consider the below purely informational. In other words, don't try it yet until the code is updated. (Thanks, eyeballer for letting me know)

-----

Here's another quick tip-- if you want to build TWRP2 recovery instead of ClockworkMod recovery for the Nexus 7, add the following two lines to the local_manifest.xml file (where the similar-looking lines are):

<remove-project name="CyanogenMod/android_bootable_recovery" />
<project path="bootable/recovery" name="TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project" remote="github" revision="master"/>


Assuming I typed that right, when you repo sync, this will replace the cwm source with the twrp source. When you then do your next build, your recovery.img in $OUT will be TWRP2. It can then be flashed with fastboot per the instructions.
mkdir -p out/target/product/grouper/recovery/root/res/
host C: libz <= external/zlib/zutil.c
cp -fr bootable/recovery/gui/devices/common/res/* out/target/product/grouper/recovery/root/res/
cp -fr bootable/recovery/gui/devices//res/* out/target/product/grouper/recovery/root/res/
cp: cannot stat `bootable/recovery/gui/devices//res/*': No such file or directory
make: *** [out/target/product/grouper/obj/STATIC_LIBRARIES/libgui_intermediates/twrp] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
rafase282@rafael-Desktop:~/android/system$


yup I should have read the whole post

---------- Post added at 06:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 AM ----------

I reverted back but im still having problem building.

Phone: Google Nexus 4 with CM 10.1 and Motley's kernel
Tablet: Nexus 7 with CM 10.1 and Motley's kernel & Ubuntu 12.10
Backup devices: LG G2X (Cm7 & CM10.1), Nexus One (Evervol 4.2.x).
Help me out Get Dropbox!

My Contributions:

T-Mobile G2X
LewaOS Port
MokeeOS Port
LiguxOS Port
Unbrick your G2X, Baseband guides

If I have helped you in any way please hit the thanks button or consider a donation.
 
mateorod
Old
#18  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3506
Posts: 1,976
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Orleans

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattire View Post
Whoa. How come this thread got moved from Nexus 7 Android Development to Nexus 7 General? I can't think of anything more Develop-y than building Android.

In any event- thanks all for the kind words. Mateorod, not sure from your description what issue you're having. I'll def. need more specifics.

Glad you got the N7? I am-- I use it for hours daily...
Ha, I lost the thread. They shouldn't play like that.

Yeah, I am glad. I have a project that requires java on-device, and the Nook just couldn't quite make it. But this thing can crunch through it, been though the temp spikes almost 20 degrees in the process!

I don't really want to derail all these first time Android ninjas coming out efforts. I have fund a workaround of sorts. It is just that I port some software to end users by decompiling system apps from patched builds, creating patches and applying them to end-user ROMs. Kind of a way fr people who don't or can't build to have access to certain software.

This process works like a charm on unofficial builds from any source. I pretty much could guarantee successful patching on CM9 night lies. But whenever an official RC or Final would come out, the patches would never work for those builds, while continuing to work for unofficials of the same day as well as the surrounding.

The same thing has just happened for official JB nightlies. We have tried matching the builds commit for commit, the whole thing.

I went into greater depth than I intended. If you know, awesome, if not, I will go start a thread somewhere and take it up there. This thread has a grander purpose.

Thanks!
Support Beloko Games' source ports of Doom and Quake 1-3, Jedi Knight, etc.

He is hurting from piracy...I need Doom 3 on my phone, you guys. Buy them, ok?
 
duplissi
Old
#19  
duplissi's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 87
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lewiston, Maine
definitely gonna give this a go on my next day off.
__________________
Current: Sony Xperia ZL C6506 (LTE)
Current: 16gb Nexus 7
Previous: GSM Galaxy Nexus 4.2.2
Sold: Photon 4g 4.0.4 jokersax cm9 beta with unlocked KDDI radio on AT&T, previously on Sprint
Sold: Transformer TF101 4.0.4 AOKP
Sold: Atrix 2 2.3.6 Supercharged v6 on AT&T
Sold: Epic 4g 2.3.4 CM7 on Sprint
Destroyed: CDMA Hero 2.3.4 CM7 on Sprint
 
Rafase282
Old
(Last edited by Rafase282; 23rd August 2012 at 11:02 PM.)
#20  
Rafase282's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 319
Posts: 1,535
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bronx

 
DONATE TO ME
I started over, fresh ubuntu install and everything, I follow the steps and while it is building the computer just shutdown.

I turn it back one and try again and then I get errors.

I'm going to try again redoing the steps to see if that will fix anything.

When getting the blobs from my device I get this.


Pulling /system/vendor/lib/libwvm.so to ../../../vendor/asus/grouper/proprietary
remote object '/system/vendor/lib/libwvm.so' does not exist

Edit: got it from a stock rom I guess this is cause I'm using EOS build.

Phone: Google Nexus 4 with CM 10.1 and Motley's kernel
Tablet: Nexus 7 with CM 10.1 and Motley's kernel & Ubuntu 12.10
Backup devices: LG G2X (Cm7 & CM10.1), Nexus One (Evervol 4.2.x).
Help me out Get Dropbox!

My Contributions:

T-Mobile G2X
LewaOS Port
MokeeOS Port
LiguxOS Port
Unbrick your G2X, Baseband guides

If I have helped you in any way please hit the thanks button or consider a donation.

Tags
building, cyanogenmod, nexus, recovery, walkthrough
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes