5,600,429 Members 32,749 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD]App2ExtSD2 [Works for all U.S. Galaxy S3!]

Tip us?

zedomax
Old
(Last edited by zedomax; 28th September 2012 at 11:13 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2458

DONATE TO ME
Default [MOD]App2ExtSD2 [Works for all U.S. Galaxy S3!]

This is a hack that that allows you to swap internal storage with your external SD card so you can increase your app data storage.

All credits go to original i9300 App2ExtSD Hack by mattiadj. I simply hacked it to work with U.S. versions and also I've added code so it will disable this feature when you don't have a microSD card inserted (app storage will default to internal when no microSD card is inserted).

E.g. If you have 16GB internal storage on Galaxy S3, you can install this witih a 64GB microSD card and swap the storage and get 64GB on your app storage instead of 16GB.

Before you can use this, you will need:
1) Rooted Galaxy S3 (SCH-I535/SPH-L710/SGH-T999/SCH-I747) or also Canadian versions too (i747m, etc...etc...)
2) A ROM/kernel with init.d support!
3) I've only tested this with TouchWiz-based ROMs, so it should work on stock ROMs and any TouchWiz-based ROMs, not sure on CM9 or CM10.
4) You must use the FAT32 or EXTFAT zip file below, depending on what format your microSD Card is in! (e.g. if you have a FAT32 microSD card, use FAT32)

To get this working, simply flash the zip files in your CWM Recovery:

Download and Details:
http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-tu...ian-galaxy-s3/

If you do not have init.d support, you can also enable on any rooted phone by using Script Manager, here's a quick tutorial:

I recommend you to FORMAT your microSD card once to get camera working flawless before using this hack!

How to disable this:
If for some reason you are having trouble, simply delete /system/etc/init.d/11extsd2internalsd.
OR
if you leave your microSD card out during boot (then re-insert it after), your phone will work as normal (internal storage used for app data).
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to zedomax For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

con247
Old
(Last edited by con247; 23rd August 2012 at 09:47 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3103
Nevermind, I thought it was a data2sd type thing, not just an SD swap. This is very nice! I prefer everything to be on my external card!
Current Phone: iPhone 5[s]
Check out my GS3 Splash Screen Changer

idelgado782
Old
Thanks Meter 109

DONATE TO ME
How do you know if your card is exfat or fat32?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Addicted to flashing! It all started on my Nexus S........., Then Galaxy Nexus, upgraded to the Galaxy S3, Couldn't resist to take Notes 2 and now I'm using S4 and writing with my Note 10.1

Jurassitol
Old
(Last edited by Jurassitol; 23rd August 2012 at 10:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by con247 View Post
Nevermind, I thought it was a data2sd type thing, not just an SD swap. This is very nice! I prefer everything to be on my external card!
I use GL to SD for that. I think the mod is a great idea, but after seeing so many non-readers, surely some Rom flashers will format the wrong partition and bring their blame to the devs...sad really.

What I would like to see is a mod that brings back android 2.x "move app to SD" functionality.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

afrome
Old
Thanks Meter 0
thank you I have been dieing for this hack

zedomax
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2458

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by idelgado782 View Post
How do you know if your card is exfat or fat32?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
If you have a microsd card adapter (i highly recommend having one), plug it into your computer and do right click->properties for windows, others should be similar. Go google it.

LinxuSx
Old
(Last edited by LinxuSx; 24th August 2012 at 03:02 AM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Thanks man! Been wanting this since day 1 and almost started regretting getting a 16gb S3.

Downloading now and will be testing out in my FAT32 64gb sdcard on Synergy 1.7.

EDIT: should have investigated further about what this is doing.

Note that if you want to delete, you must use a ROOT Explorer, and Enable Both Root and Mounting of System to delete the file.

Sent from my Rooted, Synergized (1.7) and now unlocked bootloader VZW S3!

aj8600
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Do you guys use more than 16gb of app space??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
ROOTED and UNLOCKED Verizon SGIII Running Whatever My Crack-Flashing Addiction Takes Me To

zedomax
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2458

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj8600 View Post
Do you guys use more than 16gb of app space??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
If you play a lot of games, GTA is like almost 1GB, the real 16GB internal only provides 10GB in reality, meaning if you play more than 10 games like GTA you run out of space real quick.

But I don't use that much space.

Mystikalrush
Old
Thanks Meter 32
I'm not very found of kernels yet, but I'm running synergy ROM r50 does this change my system to a supported kernel?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium App