Auto connect data on sending/receiving MMS on non-MIUI ROMs. Possible?

Search This thread

kamilp

Jun 11, 2008
A little background: Recently I bought the Galaxy Nexus. It is my second Android phone (previously I owned HTC Desire). This is also the first time I'm using a clean Android ROM. This seems to be the source of my problem. On every phone I've ever owned (feature, Windows Mobile, Symbian, Android Froyo w/Sense, Android Gingerbread w/Sense, MIUI) whenever I wanted to send an MMS or when I received an MMS (and had data disabled -- this is the important part) -- my phone would automatically enable data connection, send/receive the MMS, and disable data. That's how I always imagined things should work.

Unfortunately, that's not so with my current Jellybean ROM. I've tried two to the moment -- bigxie's and CNA. Both require me to manually enable data connection to send/receive MMS (my APNs are just fine, have two separate, one for MMS, one for Internet -- everything works once I enabled data).

I know this subject has been touched in many threads already. I've read hundreds and hundreds of topics, posts and sites about it, and it doesn't seem like anybody has found a solution to this. It's even been submitted as bugs to both Android and Cyanogenmod bugtrackers. Quite some time ago.

The only ROM I've found that does what I want, is MIUI. It even has a setting (lacking in the other ROMs I've tried) that seems to control this behavior:

attachment.php

I've even tried to compare logcats of stock JB with MIUI while sending MMS. Here's what stock does:

Code:
08-21 14:49:30.835: D/ConnectivityService(306): startUsingNetworkFeature reconnecting to 0: enableMMS
08-21 14:49:30.843: D/ConnectivityService(306): ConnectivityChange for mobile_mms: DISCONNECTED/FAILED
08-21 14:49:30.843: E/ConnectivityService(306): Attempt to connect to mobile_mms failed (dataEnabled).

and here's what MIUI does:

Code:
08-20 16:21:57.494: D/ConnectivityService(302): startUsingNetworkFeature reconnecting to 0: enableMMS
[COLOR="Red"]08-20 16:21:57.502: V/Mms(1112): [134] TransactionService.java(420): connectAndProcessNextTransaction: result=1[/COLOR]
08-20 16:21:57.502: W/Mms/cache(1112): RecipientId 2 not in cache!
08-20 16:21:57.502: D/Mms(1112): [1] RecipientIdCache.java(71): [RecipientIdCache] fill: begin
08-20 16:21:57.525: D/Mms(1112): [1] ComposeMessageRouterActivity.java(54): routing: threadId=2, messageCount=1, recipientCount=1
08-20 16:21:57.525: I/ActivityManager(302): START {flg=0x4010000 cmp=com.android.mms/.ui.SingleRecipientConversationActivity (has extras) u=0} from pid 1112
08-20 16:21:57.674: V/SmsProvider(475): Start query content://sms/conversations/2 with selection type=3 and args null
08-20 16:21:57.674: V/SmsProvider(475): Query content://sms/conversations/2 with selection (type=3) AND (deleted = 0) and args null returns 0 results
08-20 16:21:57.682: V/MmsProvider(475): Start query content://mms/drafts with selection thread_id = 2 and args null
08-20 16:21:57.690: V/MmsProvider(475): Query content://mms/drafts with selection (thread_id = 2) AND (deleted = 0) and args null returns 0 results
[I]( removed some unrelated entries here )[/I]
08-20 16:21:59.111: V/Mms(1112): [1] MmsSystemEventReceiver.java(130): Intent received: Intent { act=android.intent.action.SERVICE_STATE flg=0x10 (has extras) }
08-20 16:21:59.111: V/Mms(1112): [1] MmsSystemEventReceiver.java(139): ACTION_SERVICE_STATE_CHANGED: 0
08-20 16:22:00.416: D/ConnectivityService(302): ConnectivityChange for mobile_mms: CONNECTED/CONNECTED
08-20 16:22:00.416: E/MobileDataStateTracker(302): mms: unknown network type: 15
08-20 16:22:00.424: E/ConnectivityService(302): exception setting dns servers: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: command '20 resolver setifdns rmnet0' failed with '500 20 Wrong number of arguments to resolver setifdns'
08-20 16:22:00.447: E/ConnectivityService(302): Exception trying to remove a route: java.lang.IllegalStateException: command '23 interface route remove rmnet0 default 0.0.0.0 0 10.104.63.1' failed with '400 23 Failed to remove route from default table (No such process)'
08-20 16:22:03.471: D/Tethering(302): MasterInitialState.processMessage what=3
[COLOR="red"]08-20 16:22:03.479: D/Mms(1112): [1] TransactionService.java(146): MMS connectivity info: NetworkInfo: type: mobile_mms[HSPA+], state: CONNECTED/CONNECTED, reason: dataEnabled, extra: mms, roaming: false, failover: false, isAvailable: true[/COLOR]
08-20 16:22:03.479: V/Mms(1112): [1] TransactionService.java(183): Posting transaction start

I won't pretend I understand what actually happens here, but I can't help but notice there is a process (TransactionService.java) in MIUI that doesn't exist in a clean JB, that seems to be handling the data auto connection when needed by MMS.

In essence, I could simply switch to MIUI and be happy, but the thing is I don't like MIUI. I prefer clean Jellybean, but the fact it can't autoconnect on sending/receiving MMS drives me nuts (i've come up with a semi-working Tasker based workaround for receiving MMSes at least, but it's not 100% foolproof).

And yeah, I realize lots of people have unlimited data plans and don't really care that much about their battery life, so they simply keep data always enabled. But I use my phone differently, and a smart OS should rather help me with that, not get in my way and force me to do manually things that were automated on decade old phones.

So the bottom line is: is there any, ANY clean Jellybean ROM for Galaxy Nexus that features the MIUI-like "Always receive MMS even when daya is disabled"? I expect the answer will be "no". So the second question is: why not? Looks like quite a few people would welcome this feature. Do ROM devs simply ignore this issue (or don't even consider it an issue), or they're unable to replicate what MIUI devs did?

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 6a4ca410-78b6-9f85.jpg
    6a4ca410-78b6-9f85.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 11,884

gpfnzl

Jan 17, 2012
Auckland
My personal experience is NO you can't.
If you have data enabled all the time your ok.
If you have data and wifi enabled, you have to manually switch wifi off for your MMS to be sent/receivied.
Miui is the only rom i have used that does this automatically.

maliceomalice

Apr 26, 2011
OnePlus 8T
I tried bringing up this issue once and everyone just told me i have to "enable data coz whats the use of a smartphone if u not using data.?"(actual quote). I thought this statement as idiotic coz sprint/verizon is not worldwide and not in my country to be offering me unlimited data plan.

I noticed this issue happens to samsung phones. I used 2 sony's before and it works fine without enabling data. Im not being prone to any companies here, but this is my observation.

Long story short, to avoid excessive data charge, u can try to tweak ur apn a little bit. Edit ur internet apn (not the MMS one) and change the type from "default" to "mms" to send/receive MMS. This will allow ur data to only be used for MMS. To use internet again, change the back to "default".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

kamilp

Jun 11, 2008
Thanks for your replies!

I tried bringing up this issue once and everyone just told me i have to "enable data coz whats the use of a smartphone if u not using data.?"(actual quote). I thought this statement as idiotic coz sprint/verizon is not worldwide and not in my country to be offering me unlimited data plan.

I noticed this issue happens to samsung phones. I used 2 sony's before and it works fine without enabling data. Im not being prone to any companies here, but this is my observation.

Long story short, to avoid excessive data charge, u can try to tweak ur apn a little bit. Edit ur internet apn (not the MMS one) and change the type from "default" to "mms" to send/receive MMS. This will allow ur data to only be used for MMS. To use internet again, change the back to "default".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Couldn't agree more, this statement is idiotic. I don't understand why people defend something that is an obvious flaw of Android. I mean we're talking about one of the ( if not THE ) most advanced mobile OS, which in this regard is worse than any feature phone I can think of. There's nothing good about forcing people to manually do things that have been automated on their old phones. Or forcing them to drain their battery more, if they don't really need to.

And re Samsung's fault -- I'm personally inclined to believe it's rather Google's fault, as it seems to occur on stock Android ( and custom roms based on it), no matter on what phone it's intalled. It's just that some manufacturers fixed it on their own (HTC, Sony -- not sure about the others). Even MIUI guys cared enough to get it done in their rom. I wonder what would it take to bring it to, say, Cyanogenmod guys' attention. If they did it, all the other custom rom makers would probably include it in their work as well.

As for fixing it by reconfiguring apns... I considered that, but this would still leave me with data enabled all the time, and frankly I'm even more worried about battery than charges. So i used Tasker + apndroid plugin to enable/disable Apns on mms receive. It actually works. But I still have to enable data by hand when sending MMS (tasker is unable to recognize events in sms app, unfortunately).

kamilp

Jun 11, 2008
Anyone else? I'm still hoping there's someone with dev experience who might now how to copy the MIUI solution to other ROMs (in a form of flashable zip maybe?)

psns

Sep 18, 2012
Porto
I have exactly the same issue... If the MIUI ROM supports this feature shouldn't be that difficult to include it in other ROM's (actually I don't know how to do it, but there is a lot of god programmers and experts around here! ;))

22stars

Nov 29, 2010
please pardon my being a noob here, because i recognize what the problem is by reading this thread, and i'm no dev so i can't help, but i don't get the problem here...

i mean, maybe it's my own experience that's clouding me here, but i have my phone kill data when the screen's off for more than 5 minutes and it turns back on when the screen is unlocked to save battery since i get a horrible data signal in our building here at work, and whenever i get an MMS i get a notification for it that pops up over my lockscreen (sms popup in market) and i can press the notification to get the MMS immediately.

i get a lot of MMS daily due to my job, our guys have to shoot me a lot of pics through the day and i never had a problem of receiving an MMS while my data connection was off, i run a clean JB build on my phone, been using Codename Android for a while and it works fine.

Guiding.God

Apr 21, 2012
guidinggod.blogspot.com
Perhaps you could use tasker and set a profile to turn on data for mms send/rcv and turn it off when its done. I have tasker but I don't use MMS at all but as deep as that program is it can prolly do this for you, no harm in giving it a shot. If you need some help with setting up that profile you can shoot off an email to the dev. In the meantime I'll see if I can manage setting that up myself (new to tasker so not very adept at setting up deep profiles etc :) ) and post here if I find I can get it to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicodax

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
I have asked this same question. For example on Samsung devices there are pure MIUI ICS and JB beta roms having this but the moment they blend TW touchwiz and MIUI in hybrid ICS roms the feature even if present does not work. However, Touchwiz Android 2.3.6 yes the lowly Gingerbread ROMS have this (not explicit option) but it does it..that is auto data on off to send receive mms but no explicit option as in MIUI to actually turn that option on/off. So it is there..have asked so many times...nobody knows (talking about developers) or no one wants to do it or both. I posted on the CM board (like anyone would even bother with my request..so much sophistication so much stuff folks are working on...but this)

problem i see is where the developers are..if they are overseas Europe or Asia they do not have much interest in it as they do not seem to do much mms...as say compared to U.S.

jventura

Oct 25, 2008
Hi there,

I have the same problem as described here! If I receive an MMS with my data connection off (which is always off for battery performance reasons), i don't even get notified that it was received. Even worse, the phone does not sleep after that, and draws lots of battery during the day, until I reboot it.. This happens to me in cm9 (ICS) and cm10 (JB).

In cm9, I have submitted a patch (see review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/18409/) which, instead of turning data connection on to download the contents of the Mms (which was already in the code but ICS and JB can't do), it just desists and frees the lock. Basically, if you don't have data connection on, it informs you that you have an mms to download later. At least it does not suck my battery anymore..

I don't know if this happens to everyone who have their data off, or is dependent on APN settings. Still couldn't figure that out!

João Ventura

TheSaw

Dec 24, 2010
Cluj
Hi there,

I have the same problem as described here! If I receive an MMS with my data connection off (which is always off for battery performance reasons), i don't even get notified that it was received. Even worse, the phone does not sleep after that, and draws lots of battery during the day, until I reboot it.. This happens to me in cm9 (ICS) and cm10 (JB).

In cm9, I have submitted a patch (see review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/18409/) which, instead of turning data connection on to download the contents of the Mms (which was already in the code but ICS and JB can't do), it just desists and frees the lock. Basically, if you don't have data connection on, it informs you that you have an mms to download later. At least it does not suck my battery anymore..

I don't know if this happens to everyone who have their data off, or is dependent on APN settings. Still couldn't figure that out!

João Ventura

I'm on CM10 (SGS2), and searching for a fix for this problem, your posts describes exactly my problem. If data connection is off, and I receive an MMS, I do not get a notification, and it drains the battery, until I do something. Did you find any solution for this?

bballboy32591

Mar 6, 2012
I'm on CM10 (SGS2), and searching for a fix for this problem, your posts describes exactly my problem. If data connection is off, and I receive an MMS, I do not get a notification, and it drains the battery, until I do something. Did you find any solution for this?

I also have this issue on the GS2, does anybody have a solution to this issue?

kamilp

Jun 11, 2008
I just flashed stable CyanogenMod 10 on my Maguro ( http://get.cm/get/4LY ) and... it looks like they've fixed it! I just sent and received two MMSes without enabling data connection first :) Can anyone confirm?

Ouzo

Nov 30, 2007
Hi,

I don't know if this will work on the Galaxy Nexus, but as it is a Samsung device......maybe.

I have a Galaxy Note II and I have the same problem with MMS on a stock Touch Wiz Jelly Bean ROM - until now every smart phone I've had will connect automatically to send or receive MMS messages even if data is disabled. Not so the Note or Note II!

For me, the fix was to add this line to my 'others.xml' which is located in the System/CSC folder.

<CscFeature_RIL_ForceConnectMMS>true</CscFeature_RIL_ForceConnectMMS>

You need to add the above string before the end of the xml file - the last two lines of it should be:-

</FeatureSet>
</SamsungMobileFeature>

Some people don't have an 'others.xml', they have 'Features.xml' or 'Features_Default.xml' instead.

After editing the xml file, you need to change the permissions back to rw--r--r--
After setting the permissions, reboot.
To make these changes I use ES File Explorer and its built in text editor (it's free).
Needless to say I hope, your phone must be rooted to edit the above file. Make a backup of the file before editing it.

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
OUZO SOLVED IT!-auto data on/off mms send/receive only on CM9/10 MIUI not the TW MIUi

Is this feature still present in MIUI v4? Last I checked it wasn't. :(

the TW mIUI is what comes from MIUI folks (official or sometimes called unofficial)

only the cm9/10 based miui roms have this feature even though cm9 and cm10 itself (except cm10 after early november) themselves never had this feature..go figure !

and the old GB TW roms had this by default..the 'advanced' ICS and JB versions do not..RIDICULOUS !

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Hi,

I don't know if this will work on the Galaxy Nexus, but as it is a Samsung device......maybe.

I have a Galaxy Note II and I have the same problem with MMS on a stock Touch Wiz Jelly Bean ROM - until now every smart phone I've had will connect automatically to send or receive MMS messages even if data is disabled. Not so the Note or Note II!

For me, the fix was to add this line to my 'others.xml' which is located in the System/CSC folder.

You need to add the above string before the end of the xml file - the last two lines of it should be:-

</FeatureSet>
</SamsungMobileFeature>

Some people don't have an 'others.xml', they have 'Features.xml' or 'Features_Default.xml' instead.

After editing the xml file, you need to change the permissions back to rw--r--r--
To make these changes I use ES File Explorer and its built in text editor (it's free).
Needless to say I hope, your phone must be rooted to edit the above file. Make a backup of the file before editing it.

Thanks will try this ! (would be incredible if it worked..will let you know !)

EDIT-IT WORKS ! (tried on Galactus V2 XXLSC ROM for N7000 Note)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

</FeatureSet>
    </SamsungMobileFeature>

Hi,

</FeatureSet>
    </SamsungMobileFeature>

Thx, this workaround works great with a GN2. I was going crazy to activate 3g each time i wanted to send mms and i'm not talking about the receiving issues!
    Perhaps you could use tasker and set a profile to turn on data for mms send/rcv and turn it off when its done. I have tasker but I don't use MMS at all but as deep as that program is it can prolly do this for you, no harm in giving it a shot. If you need some help with setting up that profile you can shoot off an email to the dev. In the meantime I'll see if I can manage setting that up myself (new to tasker so not very adept at setting up deep profiles etc :) ) and post here if I find I can get it to work.
    Hi,

</FeatureSet>
    </SamsungMobileFeature>

Thank you very very much. It worked like a charm on my i9100 Galaxy S2!

But BTW, it is not features.xml. The file's name is feature.xml, singular :p

I put the line you stated above in the RIL section of the file.
    Working Great on SG2 Biftor rom v10

Hi,

</FeatureSet>
    </SamsungMobileFeature>

Mod works great...i have edit the feature.xml file with the above entry and it worked without any issue.. Good Job.. (can we do the same for Viber VOIP to recive calls to automatic data online and offline.