FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[RECOVERY][p4noterf] TWRP 3.0.2-0 touch recovery [2016-04-05]

1,677 posts
Thanks Meter: 11,788
 
Post Reply Email Thread
Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.



CHANGELOG for 3.0.2-0:

-Fix a bug with the input box that affected masked inputs (passwords). This fixes decrypt of full device encryption on devices that support decrypt. This bug also impacts encrypted backups. Users are highly encouraged to stop using 3.0.1 if you use encrypted backups or if you need decrypt of data in TWRP.
-Add Greek translation to some builds.

CHANGELOG for 3.0.1-0:

-support new CM 13.0 pattern encryption (sultanqasim)
-fix slow flashing issue due to modprobe (present on only some devices) (#twrp)
-libtar updated to latest upstream and fixes (jcadduono)
-fixes for loading custom themes (_that)
-TWRP will now detect and install TWRP themes automatically through the normal zip install process (Dees_Troy)
-translation updates - added Italian, Czech and Polish and significant updates to Dutch
-progress bar improvements - progress bar updates during image flashing and better tracks progress during file system backups (tar) (Dees_Troy)
-fix input box text display (Dees_Troy)
-reboot option after zip install complete (bigbiff)
-other mostly invisible bug fixes and improvements

CHANGELOG for 3.0.0-0:

-Completely new theme - Much more modern and much nicer looking (by z31s1g)
-True Terminal Emulator - Includes arrow keys, tab and tab completion, etc. (by _that)
-Language translation - It wonít be perfect and especially some languages that require large font files like Chinese & Japanese wonít be availble on most devices. Also some languages may only be partially translated at this time. Feel free to submit more translations to OmniROMís Gerrit. (mostly by Dees_Troy)
-Flashing of sparse images - On select devices you will be able to flash some parts of factory images via the TWRP GUI (by HashBang173)
-Adopted storage support for select devices - TWRP can now decrypt adopted storage partitions from Marshmallow
-Reworked graphics to bring us more up to date with AOSP - includes support for adf and drm graphics (by Dees_Troy)
-SuperSU prompt will no longer display if a Marshmallow ROM is installed
-Update exfat, exfat fuse, dosfstools (by mdmower)
-Update AOSP base to 6.0
-A huge laundry list of other minor fixes and tweaks

WARNING: This is our first release in a long time. We have a lot of new and somewhat aggressive changes in this new release. The changes to the graphics back-end may cause some devices to not boot up properly or have other display-related issues. If you are not in a position to reflash an older build of TWRP, then wait until you are or at least wait until others have tried the new version for your specific device. You donít want to end up with a non-working recovery and have to wait several hours or days to get to a computer to be able to fix it.

Notes for themers: In addition to the udpated theme, we have introduced a theme version variable to the TWRP theme system. If the theme version does not match the version that TWRP expects, TWRP will reject the custom theme and load its stock theme. This change will ensure that people who update TWRP without updating their theme will still have a workable recovery. We have removed libjpeg support. The stock theme was only using a jpeg image for the splash / curtain. This change means that any custom themes will no longer be able to use jpeg images. It also means that tools used to repack recovery images with a different curtain / splash will need to be updated to use the new method.

Version number notes: For a while weíve been using a 4 digit version number and reserved the 4th digit for device-specific updates. For instance, we find and fix a device-specific issue like decryption of data on Nexus 5, we would release that as a 2.8.7.1. After a while, some people would start asking where 2.8.7.1 was for other devices. So, going forward we have decided to change the numbering scheme to 3.0.0-2, etc. Our hope is that this version numbering scheme will more clearly identify that the 4th digit does not indicate a version change for the code base.

We need your help! The bulk of TWRP work is done by 3 people on a volunteer basis. We have pushed most of our device files to our github and we have a gerrit instance. If you have the ability, please help us maintain our official devices and/or add your device to our official device list. Thanks in advance!

CHANGELOG for 2.8.7.0:

-Initial ground work for software drawn keyboard (_that)
-Fix handling of wiping internal storage on datamedia devices (xuefer)
-Allow DataManager to set and read values from the system properties (xuefer)
-Fix crash when taking screenshots on arm64 devices (xuefer)
-Fix error message after an ORS script completes (Dees_Troy)
-Fix crashes / error when creating encrypted backups (_that, Dees_Troy)
-Add system read only option Ė more details below (Dees_Troy)
-Add resize2fs and GUI option to run resize2fs (Dees_Troy)
-Fix crash loop caused by empty lines in AOSP recovery command file (_that)
-Prevent duplicate page overlays such as multiple lock screens (mdmower)

Note: As always, be sure your custom theme is up to date (or remove your custom theme) before updating TWRP.

System read only option: Devices that ship with 5.0 and higher as their initial OS are using block level OTA updates. With this style of OTA update, the update script checks to see if the system partition has ever been mounted read/write. Further, the script also usually runs an SHA sum of the entire system partition to detect if any changes have been made. If any changes have been made, the OTA update will refuse to install. Since not all OEMs and devices have factory images available, we have created a new feature in TWRP that detects if the system partition has ever been mounted read/write. If not, you will be prompted asking if you want TWRP to mount system as read/write. If you choose not to allow TWRP to mount as read/write, TWRP wonít prompt to install SuperSU and TWRP wonít try to patch the stock ROM to prevent TWRP from being replaced by stock recovery. The goal of this option is to hopefully allow the user to make a raw system image backup that they can use to get back to a state where they can take OTA updates again.

resize2fs feature: On some devices like the Nexus 6, the factory images include a userdata image that is the proper size only for the 32GB units. If you flash the factory image to a 64GB Nexus 6, the data partition will appear as if it only has the free space of a 32GB device. Using the resize2fs option, TWRP can resize your data partition to take up the full space available. The resize2fs may also be useful to resize system partitions on devices where custom ROM system images donít take up the full partition space. Lastly, resize2fs may be useful in some cases to reserve the proper space at the end of a data partition for a full disk encryption key, should your partition be formatted incorrectly for some reason.

This new version also marks our first set of full builds using our new jenkins build server. You can track the progress of builds at https://jenkins.twrp.me and we have taken additional steps to make it easier for device maintainers to step up and submit patches to our gerrit server at https://gerrit.twrp.me to help us keep devices up to date and working.

DOWNLOAD:
Most devices can be updated quickly and easily within TWRP if you already have version 2.8.4.0 or higher installed
1) Download the latest version from our website on your device
2) Reboot to TWRP
3) Hit Install and tap the "Images..." button in the lower right
4) Browse to the location of the TWRP image on your device and select it
5) Select recovery from the partition list and swipe to flash
OR:
You can find more information and download links on our website.

BUGS:
If you have found a bug, please consider posting it to our github issues log. It's pretty much impossible for us to keep up with the more than 40 threads that we have for the devices that we "directly" support. If you have a significant problem that cannot be answered in this thread, your best bet is to PM me directly, contact us via our website, or find us in our IRC channel below. If you see someone that's struggling, feel free to point it out to us. We need your help to help us keep track of all of our devices! Thanks!

SUPPORT:
Live support is available via #twrp on Freenode with your IRC client or just click this link.
The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to Dees_Troy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
24th August 2012, 08:32 PM |#2  
BeerChameleon's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tucson,Arizona.
Thanks Meter: 1,206
 
Donate to Me
More
Will this work with N0813?

Also should i install it via goo?

Also THANKS!!!


Edit worked awesome!!!

Thanks again, no more buggy cwm!!!!
24th August 2012, 08:44 PM |#3  
hkeyman's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ventura, Ca.
Thanks Meter: 85
 
More
Yes, Working on GT-N8013
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrules7778

Will this work with N0813?

Also should i install it via goo?

Also THANKS!!!


Edit worked awesome!!!

Thanks again, no more buggy cwm!!!!

Works and Yes install through GOO is fine. Only issue experienced from the install so far is when in recovery trying to type or select sometimes creates double entries or backs out of the function completely. But aside from that it is working as expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TWRP-GT-N8013.jpg
Views:	6040
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	1280691  
The Following User Says Thank You to hkeyman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hkeyman Ad-Free
24th August 2012, 08:50 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 140
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkeyman

Works and Yes install through GOO is fine. Only issue experienced from the install so far is when in recovery trying to type or select sometimes creates double entries or backs out of the function completely. But aside from that it is working as expected.

so awesome to have this on the note.

just wondering, does installing this through goo fix the problem we had with CWM root method where if you boot into recovery it would auto write a script to reinstall the standard recovery? right now i am rooted but because of this bug with the new firmware my CWM is gone and i haven't used the adb instructions to fix it.

once you use TWRP you'll never go back to CWM imo
24th August 2012, 08:51 PM |#5  
BeerChameleon's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tucson,Arizona.
Thanks Meter: 1,206
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knives of ice

so awesome to have this on the note.

just wondering, does installing this through goo fix the problem we had with CWM root method where if you boot into recovery it would auto write a script to reinstall the standard recovery?

once you use TWRP you'll never go back to CWM imo

Not sure, but i got out of that issue with the original clockwork.

Pretty sure it will though
24th August 2012, 09:15 PM |#6  
hkeyman's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ventura, Ca.
Thanks Meter: 85
 
More
Still rooted...
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrules7778

Not sure, but i got out of that issue with the original clockwork.

Pretty sure it will though

After installing TWRP and using recovery a few times and then rebooting back into system I am not seeing any root/unroot issues. All is working normally here. Which version of the Tablet are you running? I am on the GT-N8013.
The Following User Says Thank You to hkeyman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hkeyman Ad-Free
24th August 2012, 09:29 PM |#7  
BeerChameleon's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tucson,Arizona.
Thanks Meter: 1,206
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkeyman

After installing TWRP and using recovery a few times and then rebooting back into system I am not seeing any root/unroot issues. All is working normally here. Which version of the Tablet are you running? I am on the GT-N8013.

I am not having issues at all

Ask the other guy

Sent from a Baked Black Jelly Belly
24th August 2012, 11:01 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 140
 
More
What I am referring to is with the latest rooting method 2 and if you are on the latest firmware when you reboot the firmware automatically rewrites the cwm image. The only way to stop this is via adb check the instructions below that are to be used in the current method


0) Copy the SU/superSU zip file to your tablet.1) Boot into ODIN mode by holding volume down and power. Volume down is the one closest to power.2) Open ODIN on your computer, select the CWM tar.md5 file in the PDA slot, uncheck auto reboot.3) Hit start. It should flash recovery successfully4) Now you want to boot directly into CWM, or you'll lose it. So while holding down volume UP (the one farther from power), hold down the power button. When you see the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 logo, let go of power, or else you'll keep rebooting, but keep holding volume UP. Or at least that's what I had to do, which was kind of surprising coming from other Samsung devices.5) Once in CWM, flash the superSU zip file. Congratulations, you have root, but if you reboot now the firmware will nuke CWM. We don't want to have to flash it again, so let's remove the shell script that nukes CWM.6) Under mounts and storage in CWM, mount system.7) Back on your computer, run adb shell. If you forget to mount system it'll complain because it can't find sh, silly adb. For a second I thought Samsung didn't include sh out of the box and then I realized that makes no sense.8) Type su to become root9) rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh


So anyways I personally don't know jack squat about adb so I am rooted but don't have cwm installed because it overwrite.

Flashing twrp with goo it flashes for me successfully it claims but when I reboot to recovery I still have stock recovery. I suspect because I didn't do the adb.instructions above that this is the problem

I was hoping flashing this would automatically remove that script you need to remove in adb
The Following User Says Thank You to knives of ice For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift knives of ice Ad-Free
24th August 2012, 11:05 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 606
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knives of ice

What I am referring to is with the latest rooting method 2 and if you are on the latest firmware when you reboot the firmware automatically rewrites the cwm image. The only way to stop this is via adb check the instructions below that are to be used in the current method


0) Copy the SU/superSU zip file to your tablet.1) Boot into ODIN mode by holding volume down and power. Volume down is the one closest to power.2) Open ODIN on your computer, select the CWM tar.md5 file in the PDA slot, uncheck auto reboot.3) Hit start. It should flash recovery successfully4) Now you want to boot directly into CWM, or you'll lose it. So while holding down volume UP (the one farther from power), hold down the power button. When you see the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 logo, let go of power, or else you'll keep rebooting, but keep holding volume UP. Or at least that's what I had to do, which was kind of surprising coming from other Samsung devices.5) Once in CWM, flash the superSU zip file. Congratulations, you have root, but if you reboot now the firmware will nuke CWM. We don't want to have to flash it again, so let's remove the shell script that nukes CWM.6) Under mounts and storage in CWM, mount system.7) Back on your computer, run adb shell. If you forget to mount system it'll complain because it can't find sh, silly adb. For a second I thought Samsung didn't include sh out of the box and then I realized that makes no sense.8) Type su to become root9) rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh


So anyways I personally don't know jack squat about adb so I am rooted but don't have cwm installed because it overwrite.

Flashing twrp with goo it flashes for me successfully it claims but when I reboot to recovery I still have stock recovery. I suspect because I didn't do the adb.instructions above that this is the problem

I was hoping flashing this would automatically remove that script you need to remove in adb

Actually, you don't need to use ADB, but that was just the fastest way to do it for me. The script doesn't remove root so you can let it boot up and delete the sript using a root file explorer (these days I'm partial to Solid Explorer Beta). But you'll just have to flash CWM a second time if you let it boot up once.
25th August 2012, 12:15 AM |#10  
Senior Member
Flag Snedsted
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Info 2 No recovery found using GooManager
I tried installing TWRP through GooManager, but after several minutes of 'Looking for recoveries...' I guess it gave up

Device: GT-N8000 (EU WiFi+3G).
25th August 2012, 12:26 AM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 140
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iofthestorm

Actually, you don't need to use ADB, but that was just the fastest way to do it for me. The script doesn't remove root so you can let it boot up and delete the sript using a root file explorer (these days I'm partial to Solid Explorer Beta). But you'll just have to flash CWM a second time if you let it boot up once.

Thanks.

Seems like goo is down again so as soon as its up we will see if this works
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes