This guide shows you how to root and install a ROM.
I am NOT responsible for bricked devices or dead sd cards etc.
Today i'm going to show you how to root and update your Galaxy S.
In this guide we flash custom kernel and rom.
First you need to be sure that you have 2.3.6 XXJW4.
You can check it by going to settings > about phone > and there's baseband version.
If you have JW4 you can skip to rooting part.
If you don't have JW4, you need to flash it.
1. You need the drivers. For 32 bit(x86) Windows http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/MOB...dows-x86.shtml
and for 64 bit(x64) Windows
2.Download the firmware http://www.hotfile.com/dl/150483619/...4_XEU.zip.html
3. Then you need extract the downloaded file I9000XXJW4_I9000OXAJW4_XEU.zip (from step 2) to any folder, you will get these 2 files:
SS_DL.dll (ignore this file)
4. Download Odin which we will be using to flash XXJW4 on the phone. http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?06v1nznuk3ng7gw
5. Disconnect your phone if itís connected to PC. Then switch it off. Wait 5-6 seconds for vibration to confirm complete switch off.
6. Boot into recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume_UP + Home + Power till the screen turns on, then let them go. You will boot into recovery soon enough.
7. Then, use the volume keys to navigate and the home/power key to select options, select wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm. After the data wipe is complete, remove and re-insert the battery, but donít power it back on.
8. Put the Galaxy S in Download Mode. To do that press and hold these keys together: Volume down + Home + Power until a screen saying Download Mode comes up.
9. Open Odin (downloaded in step 4) ó Odin3 v1.7.exe.
10. Connect your phone to PC now. You should get the message ďAdded!!Ē under Odinís message box in the bottom left. If you donít get this message, then probably there is a problem with drivers. Make sure youíve proper drivers installed.
11. Now, in Odin, click the PDA Tab, and select the file JW4_JW4_JW4.tar
12. Important! Do not touch any other button or make any other changes in Odin except selecting the required file as given in step 11.
13. Now, hit the START button to begin the flashing process. When it finishes, your phone will automatically reboot, upon which you can unplug the cable. Plus, youíll get a PASS (with green background) message in the left-most box at the very top of the Odin.
IMPORTANT Note: If ODIN gets stuck at some stage and doesnít seem to be doing anything, do this ó disconnect the phone from the PC, close ODIN, remove battery, re-insert it, turn phone on in Download mode again, and do the procedure again from Step 9. Same if you get a FAIL message in Odin.
Now the rooting part.
1.Download CF-Root http://download.chainfire.eu/155/CF-....4-CWM3RFS.zip
2. Unzip the file and you get a tar file. It may look like a zip file but it is not. So do not extract the tar file.
3. Open Odin (if you don't have it download it from section 4 in installing part)
4. Switch off the phone and wait for vibration. When it vibrates it is completely off
5. Make sure you have drivers (JW4 installing section 1)
6. Put your phone to download download mode. To do that press vol down + home + power.
7. Now your phone should be in download mode. Plug it to computer (make sure odin is still open)
8. Click PDA tab and choose CF-Root-XX_OXA_JW4-v4.4-CWM3RFS.tar.
9. Click start
11. Wait more and then there should read Success! in odin
12. Now you can disconnect the phone.
Now we are ready to install a custom ROM!
First you need to download a ROM. I recommend Cyanogenmod because it is popular, it has many features and it is stable. Here is link http://get.cm/get/3qH
1. Download the ROM.
2. Put it to your phone's internal sd-card
3. Download gapps http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
4. Put it to your phone's sd-card
5. Reboot to recovery (vol up + home + power)
6. Wipe data/factory reset
7. Wipe cache
8. Advanced > wipe dalvik cache
9. Install zip from sd-card
10. Choose zip from sd-card
11. Select cm-9.0.0-galaxysmtd.zip
14. Wait more
15. Wait even more
16. Go back
17. Don't reboot
18. Install zip from sd-card
19. Choose zip from sd-card
20. Choose gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
Now it's ready! You made it! You rooted and updated your phone. Be proud!