Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,404 Members 48,287 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Nexus 7] Adding internal USB for other devices (HUB,microSD,FM,flash-storage,etc...)

Tip us?

iAppleDev
Old
(Last edited by iAppleDev; 13th September 2012 at 08:28 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 79
Default [Nexus 7] Adding internal USB for other devices (HUB,microSD,FM,flash-storage,etc...)

The project-Adding internal USB for other devices (HUB,micro SD,FM,flash-storage,etc...).

We should have a few deferent options to connect USB internally. This thread should cover them all.

I really want to find a easy solderless method(plug/clips) I have a few ideas but would need to find the female and male connectors for the front camera or maybe soundboard connectors.
or
maybe disconnect the micro USB from the ribbon and run it up to the hub then back to the micro USB connector from the HUB that's one reason for the hub, so we can add a micro SD, a rear camera and the last port (HUB only has 3 ports active, it might be possible to find a different HUB that has 4 ports but this one only had 3) for ether some more flash storage or to hook up the solderless mod to mother board.

We can use the micro USB connection at bottom of the mother board a couple different ways. We could use both the data and power from the connector. We could also just use the data +/- from the micro USB connector and use the power from a different power source like the 7.4V from the battery and drop it down to 5V but none of the wires are 7.4v there is two running at 3.7v, if we could find the 7.4v on the board or a connector somewhere this could be done
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to iAppleDev For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iAppleDev
Old
(Last edited by iAppleDev; 15th September 2012 at 07:21 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 79
Some pics

http://s10.postimage.org/6zg4euc21/N7_cable.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1346015597382.jpg
Views:	6745
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1284563   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1346015620078.jpg
Views:	7021
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	1284567   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1346015632541.jpg
Views:	6024
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1284568   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1346015641608.jpg
Views:	7380
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1284569  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iAppleDev For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

atticusmas
Old
Thanks Meter 57

DONATE TO ME
Does this mod actually work or is that last picture just what it might look like?

iAppleDev
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusmas View Post
Does this mod actually work or is that last picture just what it might look like?
Not yet, Just trying to find some other wiring options and parts before I wire it up.

Chrisw_2003
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Would this guy be similar to the nexus tablet?
nabitablet .com/specs/nabi2
amazon. com/Fuhu-NABI-NABI2-NV7A-7-Inch-Tablet/dp/B008DBI5RI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342981188&sr=8-4&keywords=nabi+2+tablet
Maybe the board could be close, find out how to use the microSD slot on the nexus 7 tablet?

(sorry about the chopped up url's, I guess I can't post links yet)

iAppleDev
Old
(Last edited by iAppleDev; 31st August 2012 at 09:57 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 79
I Found this little USB HUB and it fits perfect.
This is it before it got striped

Still just in mock up and not connected yet, but it does still close up fine. So I'm pretty sure a hub is a go(for me anyway) and still have room for some flash storage that will go where the rear camera should have gone or just beside the hub
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1346439520320.jpg
Views:	5555
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1294603  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iAppleDev For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

minnieman
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Has anything happened with this project?

iAppleDev
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 79
Camping for a few days with the family, then back at it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iAppleDev For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jamesst20
Old
Thanks Meter 2,105

DONATE TO ME
Wow that's awesome man! Keep on the good work!!

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 7 avec Tapatalk
If I helped you, dont forget to press thanks !

Like my work ? Feel free to donate

Donate Me (Click Here)

SmoothROM - Google Nexus 7
JROMFlasher - Google Nexus 7

eBandit078
Old
Thanks Meter 2
What do you mean by an issue with remounting when you use the power from the USB? I had read somewhere about someone shorting two pins to make the mod work but you could no longer charge and would need a switch to deactivate the short to charge it. If any switch is needed to change anything physically then I was thinking the tiny type that you press with a pen head or similar, that is recessed.

I hope you make progress when your back on it. I ordered the usb otg cable and have some tiny micro sdhc readers that slide into a usb slot that are as thin as a reg. sd card. I figured I could solder wires onto one and mount it for the card reader. I was thinking to use hot glue or similar between the soldered connections for safety since it isnt easy to get factory type solder joints all the time on small stuff (even though I am decent at soldering).

I hope someone can come up with the software hack needed to be able to actually mount the micro sd and install to it like any other tablet can.

Thanks for the pictures and work you are doing, I am sure many are watching