Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,865 Members 50,794 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bitdroid - Dedicated Android ROM Torrent Tracker

Tip us?

carngeX
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 137

DONATE TO ME
Default Bitdroid - Dedicated Android ROM Torrent Tracker

Bitdroid - Home | Bitroid - Tracker | Bitdroid - Forum

Introducing Bitdroid! The dedicated torrent tracker for Android ROMs!

After a couple of weeks of trial-and-error, I have finally got a torrent tracker site setup and running for Android ROM developers; a place for them to create and track a torrent for their ROMs.

Why use a torrent tracker like Bitdroid.org versus regular download links? Easy: better flow of download traffic, which equates to faster downloads!

Peer-2-Peer, or P2P, (torrents in this case) are better for high-flow traffic compared to normal HTTP (sites like Mediafire) or FTP. In HTTP or FTP, users can only download, and it's only from a single server. The more people downloading a file from a single server, the slower the download for everybody on that server requesting the same file. This is not the case for P2P connections. Every user that's downloading, downloads from another user. All of the users download are also uploading to other users, so the traffic is not coming from a single source. It is coming from many sources, alleviating slow downloads, enabling higher traffic. P2P is a much superior way to distribute large files (such as Android ROMs).

So where did this idea come from? After the release of several popular ROMs, I saw people complaining about slow download speeds, and having to upload to several different download mirrors for others to download at a fast pace again, until those became "clogged" for a while as well. P2P, as previously mentioned, would have alleviated this and reduced (or even eliminated) the need for several HTTP / FTP mirrors. HTTP download links could still be provided, but torrent links could also be provided to help alleviate high traffic, congested downloads.

P2P also allows tracking and stats of an individual download. Each file is tracked by the amount of seeders (people uploading), leechers (people downloading), and total downloads.

I've searched, and I couldn't find a dedicated torrent tracker for Android ROMs; I could only find trackers for general use, or other specific uses (movies, games, etc.), of which not all of these are completely safe due to concern of possible copyrighted content. With Bitdroid, only Android ROMs are allowed, and it is preferred that the original developer of the ROM uploads the file (or with permission from the developer, a 3rd-party user could upload the ROM). Since Android is open-source, there aren't any legal concerns of piracy and such due the open-source licensing of the Android OS.

For an added layer of "security" only an approved member group is allowed to upload files. You must be manually added to the group before being able to upload torrents, to try and further discourage potential piracy or unauthorized uploading of ROMs.

I currently have a splash-page setup, that links to the actual tracker, as well as a forum (work-in-progress).

If you're a developer or know a developer, please sign up on the torrent tracker and/or forum and I can get you setup to upload your torrents, and don't forget to spread the word!

If you have any questions or comments, please either post here or on the website! Come and check it out!

Note: I have permission from YZ to post this.
Current Device:
HTC One M7
Unlocked | S-Off | ROM: NuSenseSIX 7.8

Previous Device(s):
Samsung GS3
Locked | ROM: Hellkat 4.4.2 (build 20140116) | Kernel: BMS 3.4.75
HTC Rezound
Locked | S-Off | ROM: Infection 2.9.1 | Kernel: Stock | Radio: 1.22.10.0421r/1.22.10.0424r | HBOOT: Stock 2.25
HTC Incredible (S-Off / unlocked)
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to carngeX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

carngeX
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 137

DONATE TO ME
Bump. Got mixed reviews in the Rezound forum about this; not much response from Dev's yet (which is what I would like the opinion of as well).
Current Device:
HTC One M7
Unlocked | S-Off | ROM: NuSenseSIX 7.8

Previous Device(s):
Samsung GS3
Locked | ROM: Hellkat 4.4.2 (build 20140116) | Kernel: BMS 3.4.75
HTC Rezound
Locked | S-Off | ROM: Infection 2.9.1 | Kernel: Stock | Radio: 1.22.10.0421r/1.22.10.0424r | HBOOT: Stock 2.25
HTC Incredible (S-Off / unlocked)

johnkan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I think this is awesome!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

tarekkkkk
Old
Thanks Meter 54
News page, forum what next apps we have to pay ?

The idea is great but you should respect the word *torrent*.
visit my Gaming website : LebGamers

visit my Tech website : LebTechs

Emba4
Old
(Last edited by Emba4; 6th September 2012 at 08:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 20
this is a brilliant idea, its annoying having to navigate through those nasty ad filled, speed restricted file hosting sites, i hope it grows and grows

my signup email conformation hasnt come through though

erktheerk
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Donated $3 has not shown. Still Says Zero. Also been waiting on a confirmation email...It's new. Kinks to work out. Hope my $3 helps is the most I can spare.

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarekkkkk View Post
News page, forum what next apps we have to pay ?
Wait what? That's not a real sentence.
Current Set-Up

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Stellar
Provider: Verizon
Kernel: Stock
Rom: Rooted Stock
SD Card: 16GiB Class10,

android addicts
Old
Thanks Meter 89
Oh finally i become a reality.

Orkeren
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by erktheerk View Post
Donated $3 has not shown. Still Says Zero. Also been waiting on a confirmation email...It's new. Kinks to work out. Hope my $3 helps is the most I can spare.
check your spamfolder!

timmetal6669
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,011

DONATE TO ME
Check out some of my work and ths work of my team mates in the sprint epic4g touch section. Let me know If we qualify.

We are many. We are Legion. Be expecting us. May the flash be with you...

wwjoshdew
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,388
BRING IT ON! I'll seed like a mofo!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/wwjoshdew

Below are links to some of the devices I've done videos on,
Behold... The Sprint HTC One: http://goo.gl/3Q6nP
Transformer Prime TF201: http://goo.gl/GtxzA
Galaxy Note II L900: http://goo.gl/06zdk
Galaxy S III L710: http://goo.gl/0X5KW
Galaxy Nexus: http://goo.gl/rxUgv