ISIS vs Google Wallet

OP sn0warmy

29th August 2012, 06:09 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Denver, CO
Thanks Meter: 893

2,030 posts
More
For the last 2 days I've been stumbling across this "ISIS Mobile payment" platform. It looks to be getting a lot of attention and is supported by AT&T, T Mobile, and Verizon. According to a few sources it will be available for a few devices (including ours) next month.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/28/i...unch-supporte/
http://androidspin.com/2012/08/28/li...-you-have-one/
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...er-delays.html
http://androidcommunity.com/isis-mob...mber-20120828/

So my question is, why is ISIS getting the attention and props from the carriers over Google Wallet? Is it more secure? Is it financially supported by the carriers?

I'm confused...
29th August 2012, 06:14 AM   |  #2  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 961

3,239 posts
More
the carriers want the money that such a service brings and are trying to screw Google

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
29th August 2012, 07:41 AM   |  #3  
Flag Washington
Thanks Meter: 1

125 posts
More
ISIS is a way for operators to get money out of NFC, that's why the operators are blocking Google Wallet from working. This is the same as Tethering.
29th August 2012, 07:45 AM   |  #4  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 41

168 posts
More
The only thing starting next month is a test trial in Salt Lake City and Austin. Which, I believe, has been delayed from a previously announced July launch. I'm guessing a wider rollout will be sometime next year.
29th August 2012, 10:03 AM   |  #5  
Philly
Thanks Meter: 47

289 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4ol

ISIS is a way for operators to get money out of NFC, that's why the operators are blocking Google Wallet from working. This is the same as Tethering.

Interesting... Makes perfect sense.
I've been reading and saw few YouTube clips... And Iris system looks 10 times more difficult to purchase. (compared to google) the security is ten times greater due to constant changing of the back of plastic 3 digit security code. (whew!)

Google wallet is obviously less with security.

Since Iris is backed by the 3 major 4G and lte service. Many vendors and merchants will adapt this feature very soon. This payment system was long existed in South Korea (visited galaxy s2 days) and citizens use it like it's their wallet.

Not sure Americans would be able to adapt and execute the isis business model and availability of credit cards.

29th August 2012, 02:02 PM   |  #6  
Flag Cokato, MN
Thanks Meter: 17

218 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by woostar88

I've been reading and saw few YouTube clips... And Iris system looks 10 times more difficult to purchase. (compared to google) the security is ten times greater due to constant changing of the back of plastic 3 digit security code. (whew!)

Google wallet is obviously less with security.

Since Iris is backed by the 3 major 4G and lte service. Many vendors and merchants will adapt this feature very soon. This payment system was long existed in South Korea (visited galaxy s2 days) and citizens use it like it's their wallet.

Not sure Americans would be able to adapt and execute the isis business model and availability of credit cards.

Bull**** NFC chip than. Just let us use google wallet... Perfect option why wait for something else that does the exact same ****ing thing.. Why let us use all these other Google apps but not Wallet? The limitations on our device (and all other devices) are ridiculous especially if you paid a lot of money for it (which we already do)...
The Following User Says Thank You to SebasC For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th August 2012, 02:19 PM   |  #7  
Flag Lawrence
Thanks Meter: 8

82 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebasC

Bull**** NFC chip than. Just let us use google wallet... Perfect option why wait for something else that does the exact same ****ing thing.. Why let us use all these other Google apps but not Wallet? The limitations on our device (and all other devices) are ridiculous especially if you paid a lot of money for it (which we already do)...

+1
29th August 2012, 02:52 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 51

199 posts
More
Just after I left Verizon, they were fined by the FCC for blocking tethering apps. It was part of their agreement when acquiring LTE spectrum that the customer would be free to use whatever software they wanted on their devices. I wonder if they are also blocking Google Wallet since this would also be in breach of their agreement.

As for ATT and T-Mobile, it would be nice to have support without resorting to workarounds.
29th August 2012, 07:37 PM   |  #9  
Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 11

53 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous_Cheez

Just after I left Verizon, they were fined by the FCC for blocking tethering apps. It was part of their agreement when acquiring LTE spectrum that the customer would be free to use whatever software they wanted on their devices. I wonder if they are also blocking Google Wallet since this would also be in breach of their agreement.

As for ATT and T-Mobile, it would be nice to have support without resorting to workarounds.

I have to think there's an Anti-Trust class action coming if they dont change their ways pretty quickly here.
29th August 2012, 08:53 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 577

1,595 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by woostar88

Yeah, I tried using the Iris system and now I wear an eye patch.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread