XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ISIS vs Google Wallet

Tip us?

sn0warmy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 677
Default ISIS vs Google Wallet

For the last 2 days I've been stumbling across this "ISIS Mobile payment" platform. It looks to be getting a lot of attention and is supported by AT&T, T Mobile, and Verizon. According to a few sources it will be available for a few devices (including ours) next month.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/28/i...unch-supporte/
http://androidspin.com/2012/08/28/li...-you-have-one/
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...er-delays.html
http://androidcommunity.com/isis-mob...mber-20120828/

So my question is, why is ISIS getting the attention and props from the carriers over Google Wallet? Is it more secure? Is it financially supported by the carriers?

I'm confused...

Android_Monsters
Old
Thanks Meter 748
the carriers want the money that such a service brings and are trying to screw Google

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

a4ol
Old
Thanks Meter 1
ISIS is a way for operators to get money out of NFC, that's why the operators are blocking Google Wallet from working. This is the same as Tethering.

Pig Vomit
Old
Thanks Meter 39
The only thing starting next month is a test trial in Salt Lake City and Austin. Which, I believe, has been delayed from a previously announced July launch. I'm guessing a wider rollout will be sometime next year.

woostar88
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4ol View Post
ISIS is a way for operators to get money out of NFC, that's why the operators are blocking Google Wallet from working. This is the same as Tethering.
Interesting... Makes perfect sense.
I've been reading and saw few YouTube clips... And Iris system looks 10 times more difficult to purchase. (compared to google) the security is ten times greater due to constant changing of the back of plastic 3 digit security code. (whew!)

Google wallet is obviously less with security.

Since Iris is backed by the 3 major 4G and lte service. Many vendors and merchants will adapt this feature very soon. This payment system was long existed in South Korea (visited galaxy s2 days) and citizens use it like it's their wallet.

Not sure Americans would be able to adapt and execute the isis business model and availability of credit cards.

SebasC
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by woostar88 View Post
I've been reading and saw few YouTube clips... And Iris system looks 10 times more difficult to purchase. (compared to google) the security is ten times greater due to constant changing of the back of plastic 3 digit security code. (whew!)

Google wallet is obviously less with security.

Since Iris is backed by the 3 major 4G and lte service. Many vendors and merchants will adapt this feature very soon. This payment system was long existed in South Korea (visited galaxy s2 days) and citizens use it like it's their wallet.

Not sure Americans would be able to adapt and execute the isis business model and availability of credit cards.

Bull**** NFC chip than. Just let us use google wallet... Perfect option why wait for something else that does the exact same ****ing thing.. Why let us use all these other Google apps but not Wallet? The limitations on our device (and all other devices) are ridiculous especially if you paid a lot of money for it (which we already do)...
Current
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Black
ROM: Stock Rom 4.3
The Following User Says Thank You to SebasC For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DangerIsGo
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebasC View Post
Bull**** NFC chip than. Just let us use google wallet... Perfect option why wait for something else that does the exact same ****ing thing.. Why let us use all these other Google apps but not Wallet? The limitations on our device (and all other devices) are ridiculous especially if you paid a lot of money for it (which we already do)...
+1
Stuff goes here, right?

Infamous_Cheez
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Just after I left Verizon, they were fined by the FCC for blocking tethering apps. It was part of their agreement when acquiring LTE spectrum that the customer would be free to use whatever software they wanted on their devices. I wonder if they are also blocking Google Wallet since this would also be in breach of their agreement.

As for ATT and T-Mobile, it would be nice to have support without resorting to workarounds.

OneMoreBrick
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous_Cheez View Post
Just after I left Verizon, they were fined by the FCC for blocking tethering apps. It was part of their agreement when acquiring LTE spectrum that the customer would be free to use whatever software they wanted on their devices. I wonder if they are also blocking Google Wallet since this would also be in breach of their agreement.

As for ATT and T-Mobile, it would be nice to have support without resorting to workarounds.
I have to think there's an Anti-Trust class action coming if they dont change their ways pretty quickly here.

ingenious247
Old
Thanks Meter 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by woostar88 View Post

Yeah, I tried using the Iris system and now I wear an eye patch.