Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,659 Members 43,928 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

C80 Pics/Differences

Tip us?

SPreston2001
Old
(Last edited by SPreston2001; 31st August 2012 at 07:12 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 177
Default C80 Pics/Differences

I stopped in my local Gamestop yesterday to pickup Madden 13 and ended up leaving with a Nexus 7 too lol. Ill be giving this one to my gf but I just wanted to post a few pics of some things that may be slightly different about the C80 production runs. I didnt do a complete teardown of the unit so I cant say if any changes have been made to combat the over exaggerated screen lift stuff but I have noticed a few small changes. I honestly dont think anything has really changed in terms of manufacturing but these units had just came in yesterday morning so im assuming it was a fresh batch.

First up is the box. Im not sure when they made this change but my C70 didnt have the notches on the box for easy opening. I remember kinda having a hard time separating the box when I first got my C70.

Second thing I noticed was the C80 units have a few screws missing. Im not sure if this is something they just started doing, but I exchanged three C80 units at Gamestop yesterday because me and the manager thought it was a flaw but all 3 random units had the two missing screws.

Here are a few shots of the back cover and unit. Im not sure if anything is different but maybe someone whos more familiar with the insides may notice something.

I did noticed the serial # on the rear sticker is now printed in white as opposed to black:

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SPreston2001 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

demandarin
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2044
They probably realized all those screws put too much pressure & therefore causing lift.

IPAD- 32GB WiFi ver. 4.2.1

Transformer Prime 32GB(Retired)

NEXUS 7 16gb Unlocked & Rooted JB 4.3 CleanRom 4.0 Faux Kernel

Galaxy Note 10.1 32gb- Hyperdrive Rom w/ Zeus kernel AMAZING!

Samsung Galaxy SIII - JB 4.1.2

Lg Optimus G Pro- new 1080P 5.5in. Display w/Snapdragon 600 Andreno 320

Microsoft Surface Pro 128gb. Full HD Display 1080P Windows 8 HD4000 Graphics Type Cover

Prime/Tegra3 Gamers Thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1409077

SPreston2001
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by demandarin View Post
They probably realized all those screws put too much pressure & therefore causing lift.
Yeah I figured they did it for a reason. Hopefully we can a confirmation on this so I can know if my units are in fact missing screws.

ThirtyHz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
My C80 should be at my doorstep within a couple hours. Having accidentally cracked the screen on my C60 while trying to fix the screen lift, I hope this is is void of issues.

JaSauders
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyHz View Post
My C80 should be at my doorstep within a couple hours. Having accidentally cracked the screen on my C60 while trying to fix the screen lift, I hope this is is void of issues.
Nice! Please keep us updated on your C80 findings. My C60 cracked randomly the other day (sent an email from it, walked to my car, looked down, cracked) and I sent it in to ASUS. Part of me wonders if the C80's are fixed enough to prevent this from happening to anybody else.

ThirtyHz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSauders View Post
Nice! Please keep us updated on your C80 findings. My C60 cracked randomly the other day (sent an email from it, walked to my car, looked down, cracked) and I sent it in to ASUS. Part of me wonders if the C80's are fixed enough to prevent this from happening to anybody else.
Yeah man, for sure. First thing I do after opening it will be sharing what I find with everyone. And I can 100% sympathize with a cracked screen haha, its an awful feeling that you have to eat the $200-250 and get a new one :/

espionage724
Old
Thanks Meter 506

DONATE TO ME
I removed those 2 screws on my C70 just now If the reason is in fact to reduce the stress on the screen to reduce cracking, then maybe it's recommended C60 and C70 owners to do this too?

Device Ownership:

Current Devices:
None
Side Devices:
Nexus 7 (grouper) (franco.Kernel + Rasbeanjelly)
Galaxy Rush (SPH-M830) (Stock)

Ex Devices:
Galaxy Tab 7.0 (SGH-T849)
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (GT-P3113)
Galaxy Prevail (SPH-M820) (KoumaKernel + CTMod)
Nexus 4 (LGE960/mako) (franco.Kernel + RasSaber)
Nexus 10 (GT-P8110/manta) (franco.Kernel + RasSaber

nineuni
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi!!!

Sorry my english is so bad...
I have just opened my tablet, it is the C80 version too. And there are missing the same screws as in your tablet.

Bigjim1488
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Asus fix is remove screws!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Give Dropbox a try for easy file sharing. Use my referral link and help me get more space! http://db.tt/6qeoiYa

SPreston2001
Old
(Last edited by SPreston2001; 31st August 2012 at 07:53 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineuni View Post
Hi!!!

Sorry my english is so bad...
I have just opened my tablet, it is the C80 version too. And there are missing the same screws as in your tablet.
Sweet! So I guess this was something done on purpose. I'll see if I can get a official word from Asus regarding this. It would be kinda funny if all the people returning earlier built tablets because of missing screws found out it was done like that intentionally lol.