Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

AutoCon Manages Your Connections to Perserve Battery Life

As we’ve talked about in the past, battery life is still somewhat of a sore … more

How to Unlock and Root a Nexus Device – XDA TV

It is official–Google has released the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 9. The Nexus family … more

How to disable TouchWiz?

OP dunderball

31st August 2012, 05:08 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 32

176 posts
I've been using Apex launcher this week (which is amazing, and imho has tons more options over Nova), and would like to disable TouchWiz. I noticed that TouchWiz does not have a 'disable' option like a lot of other apps do when viewing app details.

I am rooted, but I'd rather not use Titanium Backup since I do not plan on completely removing the app. I just want to disable it like I have been able to do on the Verizon bloatware apps.

Can I simply go into system/app and rename the TouchWiz app?

I've noticed that when I download/install a new app, the phone still tries to add the app to the TouchWiz home screen which I find annoying.
31st August 2012, 05:15 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 113

288 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderball

I've been using Apex launcher this week (which is amazing, and imho has tons more options over Nova), and would like to disable TouchWiz. I noticed that TouchWiz does not have a 'disable' option like a lot of other apps do when viewing app details.

I am rooted, but I'd rather not use Titanium Backup since I do not plan on completely removing the app. I just want to disable it like I have been able to do on the Verizon bloatware apps.

Can I simply go into system/app and rename the TouchWiz app?

I've noticed that when I download/install a new app, the phone still tries to add the app to the TouchWiz home screen which I find annoying.

Touchwiz is built into the ROM. The only way to not use Touchwiz is to use AOSP/AOKP or something without TW.
31st August 2012, 05:17 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

176 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalithian

Touchwiz is built into the ROM. The only way to not use Touchwiz is to use AOSP/AOKP or something without TW.

I'm using Apex Launcher as a replacement and would like to disable or freeze TouchWiz without using any new apps like Titanium Backup.
31st August 2012, 05:20 PM   |  #4  

288 posts
Quote:

I'm using Apex Launcher as a replacement and would like to disable or freeze TouchWiz without using any new apps like Titanium Backup.

You're still using TouchWiz. You can't NOT use Touchwiz on Stock. Apex is just a launcher. TouchWiz is the entire touch interface. Everything you use is still using TouchWiz.
Last edited by Zalithian; 31st August 2012 at 05:41 PM.
31st August 2012, 05:45 PM   |  #5  
Flag Indiana
Thanks Meter: 309

996 posts
More
You remove,freeze,rename, etc. any TW files you will probably brick the device and have to odin back to stock and start all over.
31st August 2012, 05:49 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

176 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfobrien

You remove,freeze,rename, etc. any TW files you will probably brick the device and have to odin back to stock and start all over.

Okay, thanks guys. I guess I misunderstood and though TouchWiz home was just another launcher. I didn't know it was essential to the rom itself.
31st August 2012, 05:57 PM   |  #7  

288 posts
Quote:

Okay, thanks guys. I guess I misunderstood and though TouchWiz home was just another launcher. I didn't know it was essential to the rom itself.

No worries. TouchWiz Home is just one part of TW, but TW itself is basically the framework added onto Android by Samsung which is part of everything. The only way to not use it is to use AOSP or find another non TouchWiz ROM (not sure if any are out for the S3 yet)
31st August 2012, 06:22 PM   |  #8  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 1,764

2,366 posts
More
I'm sure you can freeze the launcher and get away with it.

I believe it's "SecLauncher2" or something to that extent. Look for the word "Launcher".

And I'm not responsible if you bootloop

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
31st August 2012, 06:35 PM   |  #9  
Rochester, NY
Thanks Meter: 367

2,472 posts
Quote:

I've been using Apex launcher this week (which is amazing, and imho has tons more options over Nova),.

I'm curious, what are the "tons more options" ??

I have seen people post this before but nobody seems to know what these options are.

I used Apex for months in my old Rezound but I prefer Nova in the G3 myself (& I have the paid version of both Apex & Nova) but maybe I'm missing something.

So far, Nova has had every single setting or option that I want so I am really wondering what I am missing??

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread