Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,021 Members 46,343 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to disable TouchWiz?

Tip us?

dunderball
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Default How to disable TouchWiz?

I've been using Apex launcher this week (which is amazing, and imho has tons more options over Nova), and would like to disable TouchWiz. I noticed that TouchWiz does not have a 'disable' option like a lot of other apps do when viewing app details.

I am rooted, but I'd rather not use Titanium Backup since I do not plan on completely removing the app. I just want to disable it like I have been able to do on the Verizon bloatware apps.

Can I simply go into system/app and rename the TouchWiz app?

I've noticed that when I download/install a new app, the phone still tries to add the app to the TouchWiz home screen which I find annoying.

Zalithian
Old
Thanks Meter 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderball View Post
I've been using Apex launcher this week (which is amazing, and imho has tons more options over Nova), and would like to disable TouchWiz. I noticed that TouchWiz does not have a 'disable' option like a lot of other apps do when viewing app details.

I am rooted, but I'd rather not use Titanium Backup since I do not plan on completely removing the app. I just want to disable it like I have been able to do on the Verizon bloatware apps.

Can I simply go into system/app and rename the TouchWiz app?

I've noticed that when I download/install a new app, the phone still tries to add the app to the TouchWiz home screen which I find annoying.
Touchwiz is built into the ROM. The only way to not use Touchwiz is to use AOSP/AOKP or something without TW.

dunderball
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalithian View Post
Touchwiz is built into the ROM. The only way to not use Touchwiz is to use AOSP/AOKP or something without TW.
I'm using Apex Launcher as a replacement and would like to disable or freeze TouchWiz without using any new apps like Titanium Backup.

Zalithian
Old
(Last edited by Zalithian; 31st August 2012 at 05:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 113
Quote:
I'm using Apex Launcher as a replacement and would like to disable or freeze TouchWiz without using any new apps like Titanium Backup.
You're still using TouchWiz. You can't NOT use Touchwiz on Stock. Apex is just a launcher. TouchWiz is the entire touch interface. Everything you use is still using TouchWiz.

sfobrien
Old
Thanks Meter 269
You remove,freeze,rename, etc. any TW files you will probably brick the device and have to odin back to stock and start all over.
Steve

dunderball
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfobrien View Post
You remove,freeze,rename, etc. any TW files you will probably brick the device and have to odin back to stock and start all over.
Okay, thanks guys. I guess I misunderstood and though TouchWiz home was just another launcher. I didn't know it was essential to the rom itself.

Zalithian
Old
Thanks Meter 113
Quote:
Okay, thanks guys. I guess I misunderstood and though TouchWiz home was just another launcher. I didn't know it was essential to the rom itself.
No worries. TouchWiz Home is just one part of TW, but TW itself is basically the framework added onto Android by Samsung which is part of everything. The only way to not use it is to use AOSP or find another non TouchWiz ROM (not sure if any are out for the S3 yet)

1ManWolfePack
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1762
I'm sure you can freeze the launcher and get away with it.

I believe it's "SecLauncher2" or something to that extent. Look for the word "Launcher".

And I'm not responsible if you bootloop

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jmorton10
Old
Thanks Meter 367
Quote:
I've been using Apex launcher this week (which is amazing, and imho has tons more options over Nova),.
I'm curious, what are the "tons more options" ??

I have seen people post this before but nobody seems to know what these options are.

I used Apex for months in my old Rezound but I prefer Nova in the G3 myself (& I have the paid version of both Apex & Nova) but maybe I'm missing something.

So far, Nova has had every single setting or option that I want so I am really wondering what I am missing??
~John

VZ Note 3, rooted, Beans ROM/Nova Prime/Custom icons
Gear watch with Null 22.1 ROM & Trangulum kernel,themed etc.

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, rooted W/ Google Playstore & Amazon app store working.
Amazon Prime Video/GMAIL etc. all working perfectly.
Leather Origami case.
Moshi iVisor XT screen protector

MS Surface Pro Tablet W/touch KB
64 gig plus Sandisk (junk) 64 gig MicroSD

Lol, I feel sorry for the pathetic posters who beg everybody to thank them in their signatures.....