Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,935 Members 52,733 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

TWRP Port to TMO Note

Tip us?

bigbiff
Old
(Last edited by bigbiff; 31st August 2012 at 07:23 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3,594

DONATE TO ME
Default TWRP Port to TMO Note

Hi, I would like to port TWRP to the TMO Galaxy Note but since I don't have one I need help from people with the phone. I ported TWRP to the ATT Galaxy Note: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1647575.

If someone who has rooted can give me the output of the following commands as root in adb shell or a terminal on the phone:

cat /proc/partitions
cat /proc/emmc
busybox fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0

Thanks!

If anyone is feeling frisky, they can dd this to their recovery partition (/dev/block/mmcblk0p22 at least on the att note)

Don't blame me for borking and make sure that this partition is the right partition. It looks like the cwm touch version in the dev section is a clone of braway's CWM touch so I am guessing they have the same partitions.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: img recovery.img - [Click for QR Code] (6.82 MB, 3 views)
Phone: Tmobile Galaxy Note 3 Sim unlocked
ROM: Touchwiz stock SELINUX Enforcing
64 GB Class 10 Sandisk

If you need help please, please, please, please post recovery.log.
1. adb pull /tmp/recovery.log or Advanced->Copy Log to SDCard
2. Upload /tmp/recovery.log or /sdcard/recovery.log to http://paste.tinyw.in

How to submit a bug report!

Support: Click http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=twrp for support or join us in #twrp on Freenode IRC servers

clemcat0091
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I can do this when I get back in for the night. Anything to help move along the development section of this device!!
List of Android devices I can brag that I have used would go here if I cared enough to list it all out...... (Current T-Mo Note)
Witty remark making fun of noobs to Android would go here, but I drive the noob schoolbus.... go HERE if you do not get the reference.
And all my base are belong to me....HERE Oldie but a goodie

pixeldotz
Old
Thanks Meter 104
is there any added benefit in doing this?

i've been using twrp 2.2.1 on my TMO note since day one. I used odin flash CWM then CWM to flash the ATT twrp from teamwins website and have experienced no issues at all.

not trying to discourage development in anyway but if it already exists and works correctly what would be the advantage?

Dees_Troy
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9,189

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxldtz View Post
is there any added benefit in doing this?

i've been using twrp 2.2.1 on my TMO note since day one. I used odin flash CWM then CWM to flash the ATT twrp from teamwins website and have experienced no issues at all.

not trying to discourage development in anyway but if it already exists and works correctly what would be the advantage?
Odds are the devices are identical, but this build will give a device name of "quincytmo" instead of "quincyatt" which may be important for zip files. Most ROMs do a check before installing called an assert where they check the device name to ensure that you're installing the correct ROM for your device.

Still, glad to hear that you've been using TWRP without issue.

recepo1
Old
(Last edited by recepo1; 31st August 2012 at 10:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 116
Really dont have to port it just use twrp in the at&t dev section i been using for a week works flawlessly and im on a native tmobile note

Didnt read prior post my bad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

pixeldotz
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dees_Troy View Post
Odds are the devices are identical, but this build will give a device name of "quincytmo" instead of "quincyatt" which may be important for zip files. Most ROMs do a check before installing called an assert where they check the device name to ensure that you're installing the correct ROM for your device.

Still, glad to hear that you've been using TWRP without issue.
that's a valid point. like i said i'm not trying to hinder development, but thanks for answering

Android Revolution
Old
Thanks Meter 77

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbiff View Post
Hi, I would like to port TWRP to the TMO Galaxy Note but since I don't have one I need help from people with the phone. I ported TWRP to the ATT Galaxy Note: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1647575.

If someone who has rooted can give me the output of the following commands as root in adb shell or a terminal on the phone:

cat /proc/partitions
cat /proc/emmc
busybox fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0

Thanks!

If anyone is feeling frisky, they can dd this to their recovery partition (/dev/block/mmcblk0p22 at least on the att note)

Don't blame me for borking and make sure that this partition is the right partition. It looks like the cwm touch version in the dev section is a clone of braway's CWM touch so I am guessing they have the same partitions.

Good luck!
Here is the result for /partitions

- For /emmc, result is "no such file or directory"
- For busybox, apparently I didn't have that installed, downloading and installing now, but will take a few minutes because I'm throttled. Will update post with results from that after.

While as others have stated, it's not "necessary" to port over since the ATT version works, I'm more than happy to help to have a version for THIS model, as there are obviously differences between the i717 and the T879. This is apparent because not all ROMS for the i717 work on the T879. Having our own version of TWRP just solidifies the 879 as it's own entity, not just an "also ran"
Attached Files
File Type: txt partitions.txt - [Click for QR Code] (1.8 KB, 9 views)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did I help you?....You're welcome

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note II SGH-T889 (T-Mobile)
TouchWiz: 4.1
Android version: 4.1.2
Kernel version: 3.0.31
Baseband version: T889UVALK8
Build number: T889UVBMB4

bigbiff
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3,594

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android Revolution View Post
Here is the result for /partitions

- For /emmc, result is "no such file or directory"
- For busybox, apparently I didn't have that installed, downloading and installing now, but will take a few minutes because I'm throttled. Will update post with results from that after.

While as others have stated, it's not "necessary" to port over since the ATT version works, I'm more than happy to help to have a version for THIS model, as there are obviously differences between the i717 and the T879. This is apparent because not all ROMS for the i717 work on the T879. Having our own version of TWRP just solidifies the 879 as it's own entity, not just an "also ran"
I went ahead and posted a t879 friendly image in Development forum. I also added it to goo manager. If you guys could test and report back that would be great.
Phone: Tmobile Galaxy Note 3 Sim unlocked
ROM: Touchwiz stock SELINUX Enforcing
64 GB Class 10 Sandisk

If you need help please, please, please, please post recovery.log.
1. adb pull /tmp/recovery.log or Advanced->Copy Log to SDCard
2. Upload /tmp/recovery.log or /sdcard/recovery.log to http://paste.tinyw.in

How to submit a bug report!

Support: Click http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=twrp for support or join us in #twrp on Freenode IRC servers