Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

TWRP Port to TMO Note

OP bigbiff

31st August 2012, 05:41 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,885

4,379 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hi, I would like to port TWRP to the TMO Galaxy Note but since I don't have one I need help from people with the phone. I ported TWRP to the ATT Galaxy Note: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1647575.

If someone who has rooted can give me the output of the following commands as root in adb shell or a terminal on the phone:

cat /proc/partitions
cat /proc/emmc
busybox fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0

Thanks!

If anyone is feeling frisky, they can dd this to their recovery partition (/dev/block/mmcblk0p22 at least on the att note)

Don't blame me for borking and make sure that this partition is the right partition. It looks like the cwm touch version in the dev section is a clone of braway's CWM touch so I am guessing they have the same partitions.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: img recovery.img - [Click for QR Code] (6.82 MB, 3 views)
Last edited by bigbiff; 31st August 2012 at 07:23 PM.
31st August 2012, 08:18 PM   |  #2  
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 21

53 posts
More
I can do this when I get back in for the night. Anything to help move along the development section of this device!!
31st August 2012, 08:35 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 104

197 posts
is there any added benefit in doing this?

i've been using twrp 2.2.1 on my TMO note since day one. I used odin flash CWM then CWM to flash the ATT twrp from teamwins website and have experienced no issues at all.

not trying to discourage development in anyway but if it already exists and works correctly what would be the advantage?
31st August 2012, 08:58 PM   |  #4  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag KC MO
Thanks Meter: 9,479

1,602 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxldtz

is there any added benefit in doing this?

i've been using twrp 2.2.1 on my TMO note since day one. I used odin flash CWM then CWM to flash the ATT twrp from teamwins website and have experienced no issues at all.

not trying to discourage development in anyway but if it already exists and works correctly what would be the advantage?

Odds are the devices are identical, but this build will give a device name of "quincytmo" instead of "quincyatt" which may be important for zip files. Most ROMs do a check before installing called an assert where they check the device name to ensure that you're installing the correct ROM for your device.

Still, glad to hear that you've been using TWRP without issue.
31st August 2012, 09:54 PM   |  #5  
Flag Philly,PA
Thanks Meter: 121

642 posts
More
Really dont have to port it just use twrp in the at&t dev section i been using for a week works flawlessly and im on a native tmobile note

Didnt read prior post my bad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium
Last edited by recepo1; 31st August 2012 at 10:03 PM.
31st August 2012, 10:08 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 104

197 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dees_Troy

Odds are the devices are identical, but this build will give a device name of "quincytmo" instead of "quincyatt" which may be important for zip files. Most ROMs do a check before installing called an assert where they check the device name to ensure that you're installing the correct ROM for your device.

Still, glad to hear that you've been using TWRP without issue.

that's a valid point. like i said i'm not trying to hinder development, but thanks for answering
31st August 2012, 10:32 PM   |  #7  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 77

181 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbiff

Hi, I would like to port TWRP to the TMO Galaxy Note but since I don't have one I need help from people with the phone. I ported TWRP to the ATT Galaxy Note: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1647575.

If someone who has rooted can give me the output of the following commands as root in adb shell or a terminal on the phone:

cat /proc/partitions
cat /proc/emmc
busybox fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0

Thanks!

If anyone is feeling frisky, they can dd this to their recovery partition (/dev/block/mmcblk0p22 at least on the att note)

Don't blame me for borking and make sure that this partition is the right partition. It looks like the cwm touch version in the dev section is a clone of braway's CWM touch so I am guessing they have the same partitions.

Good luck!

Here is the result for /partitions

- For /emmc, result is "no such file or directory"
- For busybox, apparently I didn't have that installed, downloading and installing now, but will take a few minutes because I'm throttled. Will update post with results from that after.

While as others have stated, it's not "necessary" to port over since the ATT version works, I'm more than happy to help to have a version for THIS model, as there are obviously differences between the i717 and the T879. This is apparent because not all ROMS for the i717 work on the T879. Having our own version of TWRP just solidifies the 879 as it's own entity, not just an "also ran"
Attached Files
File Type: txt partitions.txt - [Click for QR Code] (1.8 KB, 9 views)
31st August 2012, 11:27 PM   |  #8  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,885

4,379 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android Revolution

Here is the result for /partitions

- For /emmc, result is "no such file or directory"
- For busybox, apparently I didn't have that installed, downloading and installing now, but will take a few minutes because I'm throttled. Will update post with results from that after.

While as others have stated, it's not "necessary" to port over since the ATT version works, I'm more than happy to help to have a version for THIS model, as there are obviously differences between the i717 and the T879. This is apparent because not all ROMS for the i717 work on the T879. Having our own version of TWRP just solidifies the 879 as it's own entity, not just an "also ran"

I went ahead and posted a t879 friendly image in Development forum. I also added it to goo manager. If you guys could test and report back that would be great.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread